Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
Home sweet home

1970 27' Overlander
Trego , Montana
Mystery Plumbing Part...

Hello, I hope someone can help me. I am doing a total re-plumb of my 1970 Overlander. I am taking pictures of the whole process and I will post when complete, it may help someone in their adventure! Pex will make me happy.

Anyway, downstream from my pressure regulator is some mystery part with a hose attached to flow outside. I already have the new regulator and check valve to install, but I'm not sure what this thing is. Anyone know?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pressureregulator3.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	554.3 KB
ID:	180031   Click image for larger version

Name:	pressureregulator4.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	485.3 KB
ID:	180032  

bludatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludatta View Post
Hello, I hope someone can help me. I am doing a total re-plumb of my 1970 Overlander. I am taking pictures of the whole process and I will post when complete, it may help someone in their adventure! Pex will make me happy.

Anyway, downstream from my pressure regulator is some mystery part with a hose attached to flow outside. I already have the new regulator and check valve to install, but I'm not sure what this thing is. Anyone know?
That is a high pressure pop-off valve, called a 111 valve in the Airstream language.

As it ages, it has a tendency to not seal correctly, allowing water to drip.

Parts stocking dealers would have them.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Not using the assembly?

I would take it off the manifold and see if it flows directly thru, may be nothing more than a fancy drain for blow-by.

Bob
Old 03-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
It's a pressure relief valve. I've been searching for one for sale online just for illustration but haven't found one so far.

They are normally closed, but the drain lines are there to route the water outside in the event abnormally high water pressure forces water through the valve.

On edit: found one at Inland RV.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
My repair manual indicates it's a relief valve. There are instructions in the book on how to replace it but no listing in the parts list. Go figure.

Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
Home sweet home

1970 27' Overlander
Trego , Montana
Thanks for much for your replies.

A high-pressure pop-off valve? AFTER the pressure regulator? That seems backwards to me. I wonder how important it is with a new pressure regulator anyway.Suggestions?
Old 03-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Sure. It protects the plumbing after the pressure regulator and check valve. Especially when you fill the water heater with cold water and turn on the gas.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
Something weird is going on. I posted a reply on the Airforums iPhone App. It was a duplicate of Vaughan's post, so I went to the regular Airforums page to delete it. When I got here, I found that Andy's post was there, but does not show up on the iPhone app. Wha??
Does this happen often? Do "Vendor" posts not show in the iPhone app?
I've noticed delays like this before. His reply didn't show up till after I had posted my reply for me either. I just checked on my iPhone app and Andy's post is showing up on mine now.

Even stranger about the iPhone app, though. Compare the choices from the "Forums" drop-down menu from the tab at the top of the browser window to the choices available from the Forums button at the bottom of the app window. Way different! The "Technical Sections" are not there at all on the app.
Quote:
Thanks for much for your replies.

A high-pressure pop-off valve? AFTER the pressure regulator? That seems backwards to me. I wonder how important it is with a new pressure regulator anyway.Suggestions?
Actually, you want it after the regulator. That way it comes into play if there is a problem with the regulator. This way the regulator gets first chance to deal with the water pressure.

I'd keep it, myself.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #9
Home sweet home

1970 27' Overlander
Trego , Montana
Thanks again, I will order one ASAP. It says "Poppet Style" and does not have a drain on it.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Thanks again, I will order one ASAP. It says "Poppet Style" and does not have a drain on it.
You should be able to take the old fittings with the drain attached and use them.

I notice that the one in your link is set for 75 psi and the one at Inland is 125. From following your link I located this one http://www.pexsupply.com/Zurn-12-P15...e-Relief-Valve that is a 125 model. You may want to consider it.