Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
DeWinterizing Follies

OK, there are probably a hundred similar threads to this on here, but I thought I would share this with you all.

So I got out and am working on the old silver tube. The toilet valve just broke yesterday (which the guy at Camping World told me seemed to be a common thing with Sealand Traveler toilets). Maybe I didn't get the water out of it and it cracked? Anyway, first time I went to flush it the bottom of the valve blew out. OK, well, I just got the new one installed about an hour ago.

I hooked up the water and turned it on. I walk back to the coach and am standing there and I hear this "glug glug glug" and I'm thinking "Man that sounds like a lot of water....where is it all going? Water heater maybe?" I walk inside and it's rolling out all over the floor from under the dinette.

OH MAN I FORGOT THAT I HAD UNHOOKED ALL THE PIPES FROM THE WATER PUMP WHEN I WINTERIZED!!!!!

So run back outside, bend the hose over double to stop the flow, disconnect the hose from the coach and then go turn it off at the hydrant.

Half an hour and many towels later, I try it again. OK now we're good to go except for a leak under the kitchen faucet. I had just put a new faucet in last year (Moen...really nice unit) but it was leaking where the old gray plastic pipe hooks to the new brass one. So shut the water off again, take the fitting off, get a new washer and put in, and so far it seems to be holding. The new toilet valve seems to be working as well. So all is good now.

I guess bathtime came early this Saturday

I am thinking hard about just replumbing the entire coach with the modern stuff. I'm sure there are a thousand threads on here about it, but what do you guys think? Seems like these old gray lines with the twist fittings always work loose. There's got to be a better way...

And, does anybody know if the Sealand toilets really are prone to that valve breaking off due to design, or did I just not get the water out of it and it froze and cracked it? I always blow the lines out with compressed air. I try to winterize as best as I can....

OK, time for breakfast.

See ya on the road,