Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2008, 03:21 PM   #1

2007 28' International CCD
Orlando , Florida
Electric awning for 2007 Airstream

Hello- my wife and I recently returned from a 4 day camping trip and we were totally frustrated by our awning. We have a 28 ft. International 2007 CCD. The awning is manual and always seems difficult. My question is whether or not there are automatic/electric awnings or conversions for our Airstream? Any links or source material is appreciated- happy new year- jfd.
jdouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Just what did you find difficult with the awning?

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Don't panic. The awning can be daunting the first few times...but after that it will be something you can do easily.

Congratulations on your new TT and welcome to the forum.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdouglas
Hello- my wife and I recently returned from a 4 day camping trip and we were totally frustrated by our awning. We have a 28 ft. International 2007 CCD. The awning is manual and always seems difficult. My question is whether or not there are automatic/electric awnings or conversions for our Airstream? Any links or source material is appreciated- happy new year- jfd.
JFD,

Most of the awning companies I work with make electric awnings, and some make upgrade kits to convert an existing manual awning into an electric one. The bad news is that neither Zip-Dee, nor anyone else, makes such an upgrade that will work with the curved arms used on an Airstream.

The only option would be a lateral arm power awning. These are found on high-end motor homes and have no vertical arms. Rather, they use folding horizontal arms under the awning fabric to support the awning. All of the major companies, Zip-Dee, Carefree, and the originator of this design, Girard Systems, make this type of awning.

My fear is that due to the need for heavy external mounting brackets that must be attached to the roof and the high moment arm weight when deployed, that this style will not be suitable for Airstream use either. I don't believe that the structure will take the weight. Plus, they are only available in 120VAC models, which means that you will either need an inverter in your trailer to power this type of awning or need to be connected to shore power.

PS: Zip-Dees are very easy to operate once you are shown the proper technique and assuming that you keep the sliding arms lubricated. If you get down this way, give me a shout and I'll be glad to lube, adjust and operate them with you. Zip-Dee also makes handles that attach to the arms to make it easier to deploy them.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote