Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Englehart , Ontario
1975 Overlander Loose Arm

1975 Overlander, Carefree awning. The two main arms, attachments riveted to the trailer about eye level with what looks like big rivets. The rear one is tight to the skin, the front one is loose, someone has tried to put something in there to take up the slack, but still is loose. Are these rivets? And if so, how do I replace them?
Northlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Since no one has jumped in I will try.. My 72 Overlander shows on the main brackets just large sized normal pop rivets.. If one could get behind them with a hammer or heavy shaft and just buck them tight again might work.. But would require pulling some insides off... ( more rivets )

The few I had to replaced was to READ HERE FIRST the proper sized drill bit and just drill out the center of the old rivet.. Then just take a proper sized punch and drive the back side of the old rivet in till it falls between the walls.. That opens up the hole for a new pop rivet..

The reason for the proper sized drill bit is this.. Too small it will not cut the rivet free and too large it will over size the hole and make it hard to get a new rivet to hold tight..

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
CONCORD , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to Erik Olson
My Carefree brackets are all held to the trailer with lag bolts to the body up top (on ribs) and the floor / rub rail line below. Upgraded the old, rusted lags for 1" stainless 5/16" lags up top and 1-1/2" 5/16" lags below. Up on the top brackets only, I replaced the old, dried rubber spacers with thinner 5/16" x 1/16" rubber washers against the skin of the trailer and 5/16" x 1/8" nylon spacers between those and the brackets. All stainless on the lags to try and stave-off corrosive behavior between the bolts and the aluminum.
Erik Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Englehart , Ontario
I'll try and post some pics.
Northlander is offline   Reply With Quote