Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2006, 07:33 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Liquid Glass

Yesterday I used liquid glass on our trailer and it is (Awesome) I'm waiting until cooler weather to start a strip and polish job. We have waxed and waxed and it seems the wax just will not hold up I read many threads about the liquid glass so I thought we would give it a try our end caps looked just awful with the clear coat peeling off and a few spots below the awning and on the other side but after just 2 coats of the liquid glass it looks much better. I bought 1 can and it looks like I will have enough to go over the trailer 2 more times it goes a long way.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Tell me more about this Liquid Glass. Where do you get it and would it go over paint. I would love something that would give my Argosy a shine.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Auto Zone has the dealership here and it cost me $20 a can. Every time I found a thread about it I had to read so it came highly recommended on here so I thought what the heck let's give it a try.
Air# 9552
Old 07-17-2006, 12:56 PM   #4
Airstream Newbie

1974 25' Tradewind
Murphy , Texas
Are you stripping the plasticoat off before applying the Lidquid Glass? The plasticoat is flaking/peeling off the top of my AS and I've been debating what to do. I don't want to get into a full polish job, but I'd really like to strip the old plasticoat and then spray the aluminum with a new protectant.

Other threads I've read say you basically have 3 options:
1. Full strip/polish job, which you'll have to repeat frequently (hard work)
2. Have a professional re-plasticoat the entire rig, ($$$)
3. Leave everything alone and do nothing

There's got to be an easier way to strip off the old plasticoat and reseal the aluminum without a full polish job???
mwmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
wmmoss,
You have touched on a subject I have been dealing with for the last 6 months. My trailer as most older trailers with clear coat is bald on the end caps and starting to bald towards the top by the awning and on other side along the top. Otherwise it looks good so this liquid glass has been a quick fix for me until I can decide what to do.
I did not strip the clear coat as of yet liquid glass is safe for clear coated vehicles.
Our trailer is 31 ft long and for myself to strip and polish is going to be a chore and then the care afterwards lots of work, but a polished trailer is beautiful.
To have it re coated and done by a pro is major bucks and way out of my range not to mention there is no one around here that does it.
For $20 if was a cheap and quick fix and right now I'm happy with the look not to say when fall rolls around that I wont tackle the polished look.
Air# 9552
Old 07-17-2006, 01:57 PM   #6
Airstream Newbie

1974 25' Tradewind
Murphy , Texas
Did the Liquid Glass blend in with the plasticoat so it doesn't look like it's peeling? Is the Liquid Glass flexible when dry, or will the finish crack? If possible, I'd really like to see pictures.

I've also been debating whether or not to just remove the plasticoat off the top and paint it as others have done. Por has a product, POR-15 Topside Yacht Enamel, that would probably seal as well as protect. Has anyone used this?

http://www.por15.com/PRODUCTS/PRIMER...6/Default.aspx
mwmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 02:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Becky, did you just wash the trailer and apply the Liquid Glass without any other treatment of the oxidized areas missing Clearcoat? I'm about ready to tackle Gypsy for this summer, whenever our heat wave lets up! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 03:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
I will get pictures posted as soon as I pick the trailer up at the tire store, we are leaving for vacation Wednesday and needed to have everything re-checked. Okay as far as the clear coat you can still see it missing in action and I will try to explain why I think it looks better. Look at your trailer and then feel where the clear coat is missing, you feel the roughness when you put 2 coats of liquid glass it gives it a smooth feel. I don't know if it will crack but from another thread some time back the person explained it had been on his trailer for 11 mths and still working.
I did wash the trailer before I applied I may get a bashing on this one but I washed it with dawn dish wash and the reason why I was told it would help strip any wax I may have left on it from the last waxing 3 mths ago.
Hope this may have helped some of the questions I will try to get pictures posted tonight.
Air# 9552
Old 07-17-2006, 04:08 PM   #9
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
i want to see the results!

john
Old 07-17-2006, 04:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I used this a lot on my 82 Motorhome ( and all my cars) I think I was the one who keeps recommending it. One 18 dollar can from Pep Boys did my 28' Moho two almost three times. It kept the clearcoat from peeling, and although I had some faded spots on the roof, they did not spread.
This stuff lasts along time, is very hard, and hardens more in the sun.
It goes on like any liquid polish, but outlasts anyting I have used for shine.
On an uncoated area of my moho, where I stripped the grey paint down to the metal, it shined for 6-7 months with this on it.
Use a good metal polish first to get the shine, be sure there is no wax left on the area, and seal with LG.
I used a wax remover to be sure, the first time.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
o.k. Alan, now that my roof shines the topside remaining looks rather flat. The bottom Imron blue still shines. How much will I have to do to the gray prior to using LG so as to return it to a shine?
Shiney is good...as someone here likes to say!
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:14 PM   #12
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Thumbs up Gonna try it

Thanks Becky and Alan for the LG info.
Our 96 excella has begun to molt and its swoopy graphics are looking mighty shabby--so after I try ironing with the wet cloth over the graphics and peeling them off (Inland Andy's rec) I'll see about that liquid glass.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
pictures posted.

Okay folks the pictures are posted, yes I know my trailer is not level ha ha. We just got back from our tire store and the brakes sound awful, so it goes back in the morning. As you look at the pictures on the curb side you will notice a black spot that is what a blue tarp will do to clear coat. On the street side I had scratches all on the side where it looks like the po got into a tree.
Yes Allen it was your thread that got me hooked on this stuff, I hope it does as good as I think it is or as the can states.
I'm so mad at my brake guy right now, we are to leave Wednesday morn for vacation.
Air# 9552
Old 07-17-2006, 06:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Nice looking wheels too, how tough is it to find ones to fit?
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
The wheels were bought directly from alcoa, the po did all that and I think he had a time with them. All I know is they roll just fine
Air# 9552
Old 05-21-2018, 10:00 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
I know this is an old thread, but I was going to try liquid glass on a bumper on our 1972 international. I just had it repaired and stripped, going to buff than thought I would apply liquid glass, but I have not been able to find it.

For those of you that have used it on older trailers, do you have a new similar product, or can you tell me a source if it is still available.
loechli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:31 PM   #17
Gunter

1966 24' Tradewind
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Greenville , Ohio
I had Advance Auto Parts order me a can a couple of years ago. I stripped the clear coat from my 1984 345 Motorhome and polished it. I had to touch it up every year until I starting using Liquid Glass and put it on every year, never had to polish the Aluminum again.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:33 PM   #18
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
How do you apply the Liquid Glass...? Is it just wipe on wipe off... or do you have to buff?
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:58 AM   #19
Gunter

1966 24' Tradewind
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Greenville , Ohio
Wipe on and wipe off, the second time you do it is easier due to the previous coating from the previous year.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:15 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner View Post
I had Advance Auto Parts order me a can a couple of years ago. I stripped the clear coat from my 1984 345 Motorhome and polished it. I had to touch it up every year until I starting using Liquid Glass and put it on every year, never had to polish the Aluminum again.
Thanks Gunner,

I have not been able to find anyone that can get Liquid Glass.
I went to their website and called the phone number and got a "not in service recording" they also have not replied to email. It seems like they might not be in business anymore?

does any one have a second best product for a 1970's trailer with wearing clearcoat?
loechli is offline   Reply With Quote