Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2021, 07:36 AM   #1
Banks87

2023 23' International
OBX , North Carolina
Water accumulation on floor

In the past year, on 5 separate occasions, we have had a puddle of water accumulate on the bedroom floor in the corner, foot of the bed - under the window and adjacent to the shower wall. No evidence of dripping from window, vents, ceiling, walls. It does not appear to coincide with showering or with rain. It has happened while running ac, it has happened while running heat pump, it has happened while boondocking with no systems running. It has happened while connected to city water and when not. There is no evidence of mold or floor softening in that area (or any where else in the coach). It is a mind boggling mystery. Any thoughts?
2019FC 25RBQ
Banks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 01:46 PM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Does it only leak when you have the water system pressurized? City or pump both create pressure in the pipes.

If yes, only when pressurized time to test and search for leak.

A tool that I have and would use to test for a leak is a compressed air leak down test rig. I can get a pic of the tool if you'd like but it pressurizes entire water system with air, then you close the system and watch for the pressure to drop on the gauge. Its same as testing new home construction pipes for leaks. Nice thing about air, easy cleanup.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:00 PM   #3
Banks87

2023 23' International
OBX , North Carolina
Yes- please send a picture of the tool. Eliminating causes one by one is our plan!
Old 11-15-2021, 02:21 PM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Banks87,

Tool description R-L and this tool can be built to your needs, this is a bit large but it works.

Connection for attaching air hose chuck.
Ball valve.
T fitting.
Gauge.
Water hose connection fitting.

This threads onto the city water hose connection. Attach REGULATED clean compressed air, maybe 50PSI to fitting. Valve is open water system will be pressurized. Now close ball valve. Also showing an alternate gauge type.

The system is now pressurized with air and the gauge that I have installed is a gauge that shows the MAX at the red pointer and the black is pressure in the system. Lets you watch black pointer vs red pointer.

Clean up is a breeze if you have a leak. The tool needs to be tested with soapy water to make sure it's leak free and giving real info. I use same tool to winterize rig.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AIR TEST TOOL.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	407995  
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 11-16-2021, 09:14 AM   #5
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
From experience. Mine came from the CITY WATER INLET. I was able to reach behind the bathroom sink and determine it was from there. After replacing the INLET, the issue went away.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 03:38 PM   #6
Banks87

2023 23' International
OBX , North Carolina
Going to investigate the city water inlet and pressure within the system. Thank you for the input.
Old 11-16-2021, 03:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
An easier way to check for leaks (possibly messier to cleanup) is while not connected to city water turn on water pump after it builds pressure it should shut off, then sit in the trailer and listen for the pump to kick on. In most trailers you can easily hear the water pump, if it doesn't come on for a couple hours you probably don't have a leak.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:42 PM   #8
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Banks87,

Tool description R-L and this tool can be built to your needs, this is a bit large but it works.

Connection for attaching air hose chuck.
Ball valve.
T fitting.
Gauge.
Water hose connection fitting.

This threads onto the city water hose connection. Attach REGULATED clean compressed air, maybe 50PSI to fitting. Valve is open water system will be pressurized. Now close ball valve. Also showing an alternate gauge type.

The system is now pressurized with air and the gauge that I have installed is a gauge that shows the MAX at the red pointer and the black is pressure in the system. Lets you watch black pointer vs red pointer.

Clean up is a breeze if you have a leak. The tool needs to be tested with soapy water to make sure it's leak free and giving real info. I use same tool to winterize rig.

Gary
Here's a completed setup for only $20.

https://www.rvti.org/products/water-test-kit

They are backordered at the moment, but when in stock this is something that you can't build yourself for the price they charge. I got one last year and it is nice.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:54 PM   #9
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Same idea as mine but my rig doubles as a winterizing tool due to air Chuck connection.

All good tools, make a decision.

Something else that might help is make a sketch of AS trailer water locations sink, shower, lav, toilet and supply connection. Then try to make a how can water be here and from where?
Old 11-16-2021, 07:46 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Jax Beach , Florida
We had a similar issue with our 28' FC RBQ. We got a water leak showing up to the rear of the shower on the road side, coming from where the wood cover goes over the inner fender. Ours showed up when we turned on the water heater, and pressure built up in the system. It didn't leak with the WH not turned on. JC worked on it and found a hairline crack in the pressure regulator where the city connection enters the trailer. They replaced the regulator and all has been good since. I also have since looked at the water heater info and refreshed myself on how to be sure I have an appropriate air reservoir at the top of the water heater so I don't overpressure the system when we turn on the WH.
gzvette61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 08:04 PM   #11
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
One easy way to check the city water intake is to undue the mounting screws, pull it out and take a look at it. There three screws holding it together. You may simply be able to tighten them and stop the leak depending on how hard the freeze was. Most likely you will need to buy another city water fill for about $35. They are connected by a hand turned fitting.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:37 AM   #12
I tow where I'm told.

2004 28' International CCD
1948 22' Liner
1963 22' Safari
Oakland , Florida
On our 2004 28’ International we had a similar issue that turned out to be a leaking city water inlet assembly. The leak would appear periodically. We replaced two assemblies within the first couple of years of ownership before we came up with the solution. When the original connection was installed, a section of 1/2” PEX tubing was used to connect the inlet assembly to the water system. We found that the rigid PEX was at a slight angle when connected to the rear of the inlet which applied pressure to the assembly which in turn resulted in a leak. After researching the proper installation directions, I found that they recommended using a section of flexible hose to make the final connection to the back of the inlet from the water system. After we made the change to the flexible hose connection we have had no other leaking issues from the assembly for the last 10 years. Hope this helps with tracking down the water leak.

Safe Travels!!
Tim
MrRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:47 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Albuquerque , New Mexico
We experienced a water leak in our 2020 Classic. Happened regardless of whether or not we were connected to city water. Couldn’t locate any leaking from the Alde system or the A/C’s. As it turned out it was the condensate line from the refer. It was not correctly connected to the overflow tray and refer drain line. It manifested itself in many different locations on the interior floor. Ft Worth Airstream finally located the leaks location. Hat’s off to them.
Shinytow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 07:32 AM   #14
Banks87

2023 23' International
OBX , North Carolina
the rig is still in repair status at our dealer. No word on what they found yet. It has been on their lot for 2.5 months now-we had a maintenance appt in November that we made 3 months in advance. Very frustrating.