Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Columbus , Ohio
Trailer Tune-Up?

I've recently purchased a 74' International and I have a question. Is there a such thing as a trailer tune up? I don't mean for transportation, I mean for living. I know when I purchase a used car, I need to make sure certain things are in order to ensure safe and reliable travel. What are those things in a trailer. I'm assuming, water, heat, cooling, ect..... What do I need to know.

BTW, I purchased a Service Manual from Airstream last week.

Thanks,

Clint
Meeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Well even for living I would check all safety issues for travel first ... Brakes, lights, axle, hitch, etc. Then i would check each system. Refrig, heater, inspect all gas lines and fittings, check all water lines and fittings. There are pressure levels the water lines will take so if you are somewhere with high water pressure you may spring a leak, we carry a water pressure reducer fitting. While crawling around I would also check the floor for soft spots with a ice pick. Then tackle the holding tanks and all fittings.

If you will be living in a cold area you may need precautions about water freezing and the like. All in all somewhere on the forum is an excellent checklist that is often used at the time of purchase - it is an excellent list. Sorry I don't have it bookmarked.
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:11 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Perhaps something that could make towing life a better experience is to have your wheel alignment checked, and corrected, if it's out. My gut feeling is that it shouldn't be too expensive, either.

When I find someone local that didn't look at me with complete puzzlement and then scratch their head, I would have it done myself.

I'm still looking...

(A couple of trailer repair places told me they thought I was kidding!)
Old 01-26-2010, 07:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeker View Post
I've recently purchased a 74' International and I have a question. Is there a such thing as a trailer tune up? I don't mean for transportation, I mean for living. I know when I purchase a used car, I need to make sure certain things are in order to ensure safe and reliable travel. What are those things in a trailer. I'm assuming, water, heat, cooling, ect..... What do I need to know.

BTW, I purchased a Service Manual from Airstream last week.

Thanks,

Clint
Clint.

Every system should be thoroughly checked.

The furnace should be removed, taken apart, cleaned, gaskets replaced and then bench tested.

Reefer flue and burner cleaned.

LPG leaks??

Univolt performance?

Water pump overhaul?

Water filter replacement?

All window, door, access door gaskets, and especially the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets, along with the vent cover gaskets, unless replaced, have passed their life expectancy.

Window latch adjustments, entrance door lock condition (striker bolt and striker pocket)?

Ceiling vent cover condition?

Rear end separation, missing interior/exterior rivets?

Brake, bearing, grease seal and axle condition?

Tire and wheel condition?

Integrity of the gray, black and fresh water tanks?

Alignment and proper fit of all the doors?

Any rain water leaks??

Correct any possible damages caused by vibtation to the furniture and/or shell?

Sealing the exterior of all the stack and vista view windows?

Underbelly integrity?

What's the condition of the vinylclad walls? Are they sticky? Do they need cleaning? Do they need a couple of coats of Future floor acrylic?

Carpet condition?

That will keep you busy, at least for a while.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Perhaps something that could make towing life a better experience is to have your wheel alignment checked, and corrected, if it's out. My gut feeling is that it shouldn't be too expensive, either.

When I find someone local that didn't look at me with complete puzzlement and then scratch their head, I would have it done myself.

I'm still looking...

(A couple of trailer repair places told me they thought I was kidding!)
Go to a place that does alignments on big trucks and semi trailers, and ask them. It's not hard, but does require you know what you're doing, and have a few piece of equipment the average person probably doesn't have in his tool box.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:25 AM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Thanks, Terry, I'll do that. I saw a few big rig repair places in Kingston, Ontario which is near where Henri the Sov lives, so when we see nicer weather (somewhere around late July, if this year is like last year!), I'll talk to a few of them.