Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2019, 05:24 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Sewer Solution

Uck. I recently had a very unpleasant occurance with the SS, and in spite of the grossness, feel a warning needs to be issued.

Add a 2to 4 inch CLEAR straight extension betwwn the trailer's dump pipe and the SS. when used the clear plastic top of the SS gets marked with paper, etc. Sometimes that skicks on it even after running gray.

Thinking everything.was gone, I closed the gate and pulled the SS and dumped about a gallon of.stuff on the lawn in front of the maint. Staff. AND i did not have any bleach.based spray handy, nor did I have an old dishpan ready to catch the stuff.

That won't happen again, the clear extension will show whether it is really empty. I DON'T backflush every time I dump, I full time, and I will be using it again soon.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Please clarify a bit, not sure what you are saying. I use a clear plastic extension between the Airstream pipe and the SS so I can see when it is clean. Are you saying I need to watch out for something unusual?
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:01 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I have also always used a six inch clear plastic extension between the trailer sewer outlet and the Sewer Solution head. This way I can always see that the tube is empty. Additionally, if I don't use the extension, the Sewer Solution obstructs the gray tank valve handle.

In reading Paula's post, I think that this faux pas occurred without the clear extension and she is cautioning us to use one.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I have also always used a six inch clear plastic extension between the trailer sewer outlet and the Sewer Solution head. This way I can always see that the tube is empty. Additionally, if I don't use the extension, the Sewer Solution obstructs the gray tank valve handle.

In reading Paula's post, I think that this faux pas occurred without the clear extension and she is cautioning us to use one.

Brian

Yup. That’s how I read it, and what I do. A six inch clear extension makes it easier to hook up and see what’s going on. My dump connection is way under the side of the Airstream and the sewer solution won’t fit unless I have an extension on it.

I just returned from a long trip, and it took a lot of flushing and draining to get the black tank clean again. Without a clear view of progress it would have been difficult to determine when it’s clean.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Got it, thanks. I also use the extension so that the grey tank handle is clear to use. It just has the added advantage of letting me see what is going on.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Exactly. I had one but it cracked so I discarded it before it complety failed. I MEANT to get a new one, but never got.around to it. Then got some small obstruction in the black gate that.let stuff drip thru and thinking the pipe was empty, I pulled it off. Ergh. Of course the drain itself is far under the trailer so it was hard to see. Amazon prime will save me next time.

The clear extension should be helpful even with a slinky.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Sewer Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Exactly. I had one but it cracked so I discarded it before it complety failed. I MEANT to get a new one, but never got.around to it. Then got some small obstruction in the black gate that.let stuff drip thru and thinking the pipe was empty, I pulled it off. Ergh. Of course the drain itself is far under the trailer so it was hard to see. Amazon prime will save me next time.

The clear extension should be helpful even with a slinky.

Mine is particularly a problem because there is a long pipe from the black tank just in front of the bumper to the valve and it’s very hard to clean that area. The tank sprayer does not reach it, and stuff builds up in there when it gets churned on the road. The sewer solution can push water into that pipe to help rinse it.

A thorough dump and rinse takes almost an hour. We did a quick dump on the way home in Arizona, but there was still quite a bit of residue to flush out of the tank. At least I had the trailer parked very level to help the process.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote