Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2016, 11:43 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
New to me battery type

I have just run across a new to me AGM battery type. It is called a carbon foam battery, and if claims prove out could be a big improvement. They are claimed to have low sulfation, and you can run them down to 20% or even 0% power without losing capacity. Here is a link to some info.

I have no connection with this whatsoever. Just wanted to know if any of you in aluminum land have had any experience with them.

http://www.bruceschwab.com/advanced-...asis-group-31/
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
Try looking at this article:

http://www.practical-sailor.com/blog...e-11694-1.html

What concerns me is that the manufactures tests design may hide the sulfation problem due to not waiting long enough between discharge cycles so the sulfate does not have enough time to harden. You can obtain the same results with a good charger on a flooded battery.

I believe that all lead/sulfuric acid battery operate with the same chemistry and it is the chemistry that locks you into the sulfate issue, just part of the battery charge/discharge cycle (Pb + H2SO4 -> PbSO4 + H2O).
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Have you read their warranty?

It looks like they have included every possible way to get out of covering the battery by things like operating temperatures, type of cleaners used on the battery casing, decrease in charge retention capacity before the warranty period expires (what's with that???) etc.

I would be very suspicious until I see more test data from actual use, not the manufacturer. As stated above, they do not specify their waiting times between recharging, which is key to preventing sulfating in any lead based battery system.

Be careful out there!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote