Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2020, 06:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
STAMFORD , Connecticut
How is Dinette Table Base Fastened?

I have a 2020 Globetrotter 27 FBT. The dinette table is loose because a few of the screws/bolts are not fully tightened and are standing proud of the pedestal base.

I have tried to tighten the screws/bolts but I suspect they may be cross threaded because they will not budge, even with a power driver. Before I back them out, I want to be sure I know whether they are wood screws or bolts with nuts. If they are bolts, I don't want to lose a nut somewhere underneath.

Does anyone know for sure how the dinette table base is fastened to or through the floor?

Photo attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5932.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	315.0 KB
ID:	361834  
Justinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Maybe try here

https://www.airstream.com/owners/manuals/page/2/

on the airstream dot com website you can download the parts listing and manuals. See if there is any useful info for you there.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:57 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
STAMFORD , Connecticut
Update:
1. The parts manual does not show the fasteners.
2. I backed one out and confirmed it is a wood screw.
3. I re-tightened the screw at high torque and was able to get it to seat.
4. Repeated with all the rest.
5. Table base is now firmly attached and stable.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:01 AM   #4
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Glad you posted. Ours is solid, but seeing a lot of use. I thought I saw another thread about a pedestal table that became loose on the top connection of the pedestal to the table. Replacement screws were the fix. (Longer)

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 04:55 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Flushing , Michigan
I suggest that you also check the screws on the underside of the table, the ones that secure the aluminum plate at the top of the pedestal into the underside of the tabletop. There are slotted groves in that plate which may not have enough screws, or long enough screws. I replaced all screws with slightly longer and larger diameter ones, and doubled up on the number—putting one screw at each end of every slot.
My table as built was installed “cockeyed”, and did not align properly, so I removed the tabletop entirely and reset it. Once it had been removed, I noticed that the aluminum plate at the top of the pedestal was not properly secured—all of these screws were loose, so I’d suggest checking that, too, as that as the source of considerable vibration and stress, especially at the back of the trailer when it is being towed. Perhaps mine was an isolated incident, but it likely bears checking.
I would call my table “just OK” after all of this. IMHO, the tabletop design/engineering is inadequate, and the tabletop material should be out of solid wood, or at least plywood, not particleboard.
After you’re all done, be careful about using the tabletop for leverage when getting into or out of the dinette seating. Don’t ask me how I know all of this.
steve46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I wonder how the screws became loose. Pushing off the table? Always loose? Not tightened at the factory?
If they were pulled loose, tightening them is only temporary.
However, I've had good luck with threaded inserts, a metal sleeve with wood threads on the outside and machine threads on the inside.
Drill out the hole, screw in the insert, replace wood screws with machine screws.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 11.47.15 AM.png
Views:	64
Size:	434.4 KB
ID:	362089  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:24 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
STAMFORD , Connecticut
It's pretty clear that they were not fully seated originally from the factory. It took a couple of tries with a power drill on the high torque setting to get them to fully seat. I had to reverse out and then go full bore, twice, to get them to bite down and seat. They are REALLY tight, so I don't have any concern now about them coming loose.

btw, as a boat owner, coming from the marine world, I would probably use some 3M 4200 or similar sealant in any "through hull" where you want to avoid moisture intrusion into wood. In an Airstream, where you have woven vinyl floor covering on the inside, and a belly pan underneath, the risk of moisture in the wood floor is probably pretty low compared to a boat, but I would still use sealant in any bolt hole, just to be sure. In some places, I would even consider an epoxy filler, like you would with a wood cored fiberglass deck, but that's another topic.
Old 05-10-2020, 02:39 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2022 30' Globetrotter
Jacksonville , Florida
Pedestal table screw size

Do you know the size and length of the screws for the base? We have a FC FB25 and will be installing a pedestal to replace the folding bracket that came with the unit. Our 22 Sport had the pedestal and it was a lot more stable. Thanks!
bfafard is offline   Reply With Quote