Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2019, 08:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Jackson , Tennessee
Fresh water sensor needed

2005 19’ Bambi with 23 gal fresh water tank reads empty all the time. I’ve isolated constant red empty indication to the screw-in sensor with telephone plug wires. It works when I physically push on diaphragm in the screw-in part. Looks like it is water pressure sensitive.
I found a thread from 2011 referring to the part that could be obtained by a now nonexistent place. Nothing I Google is like what I need.
Does anyone know why I could get a replacement sensor? Also believe I read this type sensor is used in grey and black tanks. True??
K3ors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
It sounds like you have the Micropulse system (https://shop.catconproducts.com/RV-P...3plqscsfapp004). That system is essentially impossible to get to work correctly. I know because I retrofitted our 2002 19' with it long ago. Last year I installed the SeeLevel system which works much, much better and has become the standard in most better RVs today.

Tim
Tim A. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:31 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Jackson , Tennessee

Tim, many thanks for the info. I should have started here first instead of Googling (is that a real word?) for a few days.
I totally agree with you that the Micropulse system is the pits. The battery seems to be the only accurate one but that’s definitely not the same kind of sensor. I think I’ll replace the water sensor as it wasn’t to bad before it died. Easier than a visual check. Does AS use the same type sensor for the Grey and Black water tanks? Just curious.
How difficult is the installation of the SeeLevel?
Thanks again!
K3ors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
If memory serves, the Micropulse sensors are the same for all of the tanks.

How difficult was the SeeLevel system to install? You are probably asking the wrong person, because I am one of those people who manage to do almost anything on the trailer. There are three aspects to installing in a 19' like we have.
1. Tank access. The SeeLevel system has sensors which stick on the outside of the tank and that means getting to the tank. Freshwater is easy because it is under the dinette seat. Blackwater access requires removing the little shelf on the bottom left of the closet and then some contortionist manipulation. Graywater tank access is via removal (by drilling out the rivets) of the external cover's side (streetside).
2. Wiring. I ran new wires. Others have used the MicroPulse 4-wire telephone cable by joining the wires to make a pair of wires.
3. Adding a relay for the water pump switch if your pump draws too much current. Ours does, so the relay was necessary.

I recommend searching the forum using "installing SeeLevel."

Tim
Tim A. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:36 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Jackson , Tennessee

Again, large amounts of thank yous for your help. I'm pretty sure all sensors are the same too.
I like to do my own work also but at 76 ye ol' body disagrees with some of the projects I want to do. I'll have to crawl around under the rig to see if it's something I want to tackle. Would be a great winter project if I had a decent inside spot.
Happy trails Tim and thanks.