Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
Columbus , Ohio
Post Ant infestation

We were in a campground in Palacios, TX last night. Ants found their way into the trailer by climbing the front, street-side jack. We've sprayed with Raid, vacuumed, swept and washed everything inside ... and yet they keep coming.

Any suggestions for getting rid of these things. We haven't had anything like this in 6 years of Airstream travels.
aircamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircamper View Post
We were in a campground in Palacios, TX last night. Ants found their way into the trailer by climbing the front, street-side jack. We've sprayed with Raid, vacuumed, swept and washed everything inside ... and yet they keep coming.

Any suggestions for getting rid of these things. We haven't had anything like this in 6 years of Airstream travels.
I have had that at a few CA beach sites. Spraying the jacks and around tires with raid or equivalent seems to deter them. Did you try that?
ModernVista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:04 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
1976 Argosy 28
1978 28' Argosy 28
Lodi , California
I have heard DE (diatomaceous earth) or some type of powder (comet, baby powder-corn starch) around anything that touches the ground. Have not tried it but at this point what do you have to lose?
triterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:57 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by triterra View Post
I have heard DE (diatomaceous earth) or some type of powder (comet, baby powder-corn starch) around anything that touches the ground. Have not tried it but at this point what do you have to lose?
Here is a link about diatomaceous earth- have used it for fleas and it works! Trying it out on ants in the yard- plenty of the here in Florida- and I actually think I am making headway!
http://www.vegetablegardener.com/ite...xic-ant-killer
Flying Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:06 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by triterra View Post
I'd avoid cornstarch; that may actually be food for ants.

When I stayed at Eastbank Campground (a CoE campground) on Lake Seminole earlier this year, they were handing out leaflets when we checked in, warning of an Argentine Ant infestation and recommending the use of Comet cleanser to keep them at bay.

It worked, too, as long as we also remembered to put Comet around the service pedestal as well, and make sure the water hose and shore power cable didn't rouch the ground between the service pedestal and the RV. Point of interest, I also put some around the legs of the picnic table to keep ants away from the food.

You do have to also make sure there are no overhanging branches that touch your RV, though.

Comet is good not only because it keeps the ants at bay, but also because if it rains, you can tell at a glance if the Comet has washed away and you need to put down more.

To keep ants off my patio mat, I sprayed it all over with wasp spray; that seemed to work, but just to be safe I also made sure the pario mat didn't touch the tires.

I'm told (but haven't tried it yet) that wrapping flea collars tightly around the RV end of your your water line and shore power cable will keep ants from climbing up those to get at your RV if you can't keep the hose and cable from touching the ground.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:34 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Pauline , South Carolina
I had ant problems in New Orleans. They seem drawn to the aluminum! Sprinkle any powdered cleanser (ajax, comet, etc) around the jack stands, stabilizers, etc.
It works.
MissPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Austin , Texas
Having survived and won the Serge of The Ant Army @ Stillhouse Lake, we swear by,live by DE (diatomaceous earth). Sprinkle it around all parts of the trailer that touch the ground,sweep it into all cracks in the floor, and the little "soldiers" will soon disappear. And it is not poisonous to humans and pets. earthworkshealth.com has lots of info on this wonderful powder.
gramzinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #8
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
If you must resort to other means I highly recommend a product called TERRO. Had small ants coming into our kitchen sink area at home this past spring. Tried a few things but they continued to come in. Local hardware store recommended this stuff and it worked great. Other I tried did absolutely nothing but this stuff worked great. Saw immediate and lasting results.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
If it's Texas....probably Fir Ants after a rain. I use Lorsban sprinkled around the jack, wheels and hose/cable contacts with the ground. Look around for the tell tale red ant mounds too.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:40 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
Terro works wonderfully. I leave an open Terro at the vanity sink (put it in the sink for traveling). Every once in a while they show up but only for a few hours and then they are gone.

Terro is a bait so the ants take it back to the nest.
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
If you must resort to other means I highly recommend a product called TERRO. Had small ants coming into our kitchen sink area at home this past spring. Tried a few things but they continued to come in. Local hardware store recommended this stuff and it worked great. Other I tried did absolutely nothing but this stuff worked great. Saw immediate and lasting results.
Which product did you use

Ant Problem? Terro = Ant Control Solutions
Old 10-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #12

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Had that happened twice in my pop up days down in Kissimmee Fl. I remember coming back to the trailer after a late nite at Disney World. We walked in flipped on the lights and the ants were crawling. Headed out to an all night quick shop and bought a can of spay ant killer. Found the ants were gaining entry via the power cord. After closer inspection I found them crawling up the jack stands also. I considered it a freak occurrence.

Back a few years later and we kept an eye out. Again we saw the ants attempting access and had some kind of ant powder with us. We made circles around every thing connected to the trailer touching the ground and around the service pole. Obviously the southern ants like to explore more than their northern cousins. Never had this in any other places we've ever camped in (not even in Destin, Talahassee, or St. Augustine).

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Borax seems to chase them away for me. Powdered Borax soap.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #14
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
Borax seems to chase them away for me. Powdered Borax soap.
I may switch to borax as well. Based on the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) it's pretty safe overall.
http://www.omsi.edu/sites/all/FTP/fi...Borax-msds.pdf

Compared to borax, Comet cleanser is positively nasty:
http://emergencyservices.catawbacoun...MSDS/Comet.pdf
Old 10-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

Compared to borax, Comet cleanser is positively nasty:
http://emergencyservices.catawbacoun...MSDS/Comet.pdf
Yeah! I've heard from my kids that it "makes your face turn green" and "tastes like gasoline"!

When we stayed at the Chula Vista KOA earlier this year they recommended and sold comet in the Kamp store. We used it and nary an ant but I assume that eventually it can speed corrosion of metal parts.

Brad

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote