Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1961 19' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
All electric?

Ok, I will attempt to ask again, since my post got deleted. Has anyone went all electric, and what were your pro's and con's of doing this. 98% of my camping will be done where I have electric hookup and the other couple of times a year will be just needed a place to stay. Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks
jillwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
All electric??

What you propose is possible, but it is not without built-in difficulties:
  1. Even with a 50-AMP, 120-Volt AC service, finding an adequate range/oven that will operate within those parameters will be difficult if not impossible.
  2. Unless you go with a Norcold AC/DC compressor type refrigerator, you will experience problems keeping your perishable foods fresh when in-transit.
  3. When camping without utilities, the only way that you will be able to insure refrigeration and cooking availability would be with a generator -- and one large enough to run both a range/oven and refrigerator would be costly in addition to being heavy to carry.
  4. If you will need heat, electic resistance heating is high draw and would prove to be a potential issue when operating anything else within the coach.
  5. Heating water may also pose an issue as well.
One of the reasons that RVs and particularly trailers still utilize propane is that all-electric is impractical for periods of travel as well as when parked with minimal or no utility access.

Good luck with your research!

Kevin

P.S.: I considered the possibility of all-electric for my Overlander initially as I don't care for LP appliances. The feasability of operating just didn't make economic sense for me.

When I contemplated this idea, I began to envision a Green Acres like electric chart where one would have to unplug or switch off one or more appliances in order to operate another -- just not conducive to relaxation when RVing.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
I converted the hot water to electric (hot shot) with propane backup. I had to replace my AC so I installed a heat pump. Some time I use a small ceramic heater. Bottom line, my propane is only used as back. if necessary. Best of success.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
I have a question or two: What is the motivation?
Do you have gas app's that do not work, or that you do not like?
Alot of folks go to elect frig because of the punishing cost of replacement.
Many others go to elect hot water too for the same reason.
I would suppose a bunch of folks use a combination
based upon finances and or preferences. Keeping a combination of lp/elect may be better than ALL elect. Last thought...what do you have to work with
if there were a power outage for several hours........
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

my thoughts

All electric wouldn't be good if
1) you wanted take a long road trip
2) you ever wanted to sell the trailer
3) you ever wanted to boondock.

You could get around some issues by bringing a portable propane stove, and a cooler. Or not go totally electric but mostly electric. That being said, a trailer with an electric refridgerator is usually perceived to be
undesirable.
When we have camping parties, the ettiquette is to only use 12 volt utilities, as one electric heater uses up what four campers use. No AC,
microwaves, electric heaters.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Pro's

It is your trailer...if it suits your needs...then it's ok
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote