Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2020, 11:54 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Eugene , Oregon
Send a message via Skype™ to Billyjchase
'67 Overlander - where to place Jacks / Is it ok to jack the AS off the ground?

Dear Forum,

I would like to get taller/sturderier jacks so I can raise the AS and take most or all of weight off the tires and axles.
- the original jacks used now, keep most of the weight still on the tires/axles

However, our Airstream does not have any "spots" viewable as to where I can I should use even the jacks that came with Airstream. (Ive seen other older AS's with special areas for placing the AS's jacks.

1) Is it ok to just get larger jacks and use the same spots Im using now?
2) Is it ok to lift the AS tires at least partially off the ground (with better quality jacks)?

Thanks in advance!
Billy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Jack.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	531.1 KB
ID:	372273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Jack.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	513.5 KB
ID:	372274  

Billy & Stephie Jo Chase
"The Granny Jo Airstream"
grannyjoairstream@gmail.com
Billyjchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:05 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Eugene , Oregon
Send a message via Skype™ to Billyjchase
After reading previous posts, all say that you should not "lift" your AS off the ground (can bend frame).
I had wanted to raise the AS off the ground, even if just 1/4" to take pressure off the tires/axles since we don't take her out that much.
Couples questions then -

1) Is it ok to place the stabilizers where I have them shown in the pics I included on this post?
- Front Stabilizers are lifting on the A-Frame Hitch section
- Read Stabilizers are lifting on the 2x steel exposed beams attached at the rear of the AS

I did read on a previous post, that you can take a rubber mallet and gently tap the bottom of the AS to find frame supports.
- is this a better way to find the correct locations to mount the stabilizers?

I also found several posts saying you do NOT want to lift the AS off the ground.
- I wanted to protect the tires and axles while not in use... so Im guessing keeping air pressure correct and armor all to keep the rubber from dry rotting is best solution?

Thanks!
Billy

Billy & Stephie Jo Chase
"The Granny Jo Airstream"
grannyjoairstream@gmail.com
Billyjchase is offline   Reply With Quote