Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2004, 11:35 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Help Please - Jordon 20/20 Ultima

When you hook up this type bake controller is the wire that is connected to the bracket on the brake pedal suppose to be without play when the pedal is at its rest position?

I just put this on and the wire is a little limp letting the pedal go down about a 3/4 inch before it engages the controler. I couldn't find the answer in the instructions that came with it.

It just seems to me that maybe it should engauge the minute the pedal moves.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 02:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Also would like to know if it is wise to have your trailer brakes set with the controler so that they are just a bit stronger than the towing vehicles brakes.

John G
Old 07-11-2004, 04:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
The cable should be tight and you should be getting some amps showing up on the display with maybe 1/8-1/4" of pedal travel... before the brakes are doing much on the tow vehicle. It might be easier to feed 1/2" or so of the cable housing past the cable clamp on the dash, fasten the spring shock on the end of cable to so it sits loosely in the mount on the pedal, then pull the cable housing back at the dash mount to get the cable tight, and fasten it down there.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:08 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Carbondale , Colorado
Question Need help with mine, too!

It's a bit off the subject, but I too have a Jordon Ultima I haven't installed. (I need to call the company and ask how to do this, but if any of you could help, that would be great)!

I have a Suburban without the trailering package under the dash. What is the easiest way to get the wires through the firewall...and... which wires go where? I found the blue and orange wires that the factory had tied to the inside of the engine compartment, BTW! I need to know what wires from the controller hook to the wires from the Suburban and what goes where? And does one go on the auxillary post where the fuses are? Thanks!!

I'm CONFUSED and definitely am going to need these brakes to go over the mountain passes to get to the VAC rally in Colorado Springs! Thanks!!!
Old 07-11-2004, 08:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

My truck did not come with a towing package either. My vehicle is equiped with an ignition block that provides power to such things as the radio, cigareete lighter and aux plugs after the key is turned on. I simply connected into that power block. Perhaps your vehicle has a power block too and you can use this.

I did use an inline fuse for the power supply to the Jordon.

I also ran the charge line from the power block and dropped both lines through a plug in the floor located under the step panel on the driver side. That's the panel with a few screws in it that seperats the metal from the carpet when you open the door.

Ran all lins back inside a black rubber tube. Like a conduit. This was attached tot he inside of the frame and ran along side the factory wiring. I used plastic ties to secure it to the factory wiring.

Hope this helps................

Now to get mine adjusted correctly. My midnight project..................

John G
Old 07-11-2004, 10:40 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Carbondale , Colorado
Jordon Ultima & 99 Suburban?

Thanks, John!

I'll look harder for something on the floorboard. I looked a while back and all I found was a 1/2 inch, if that, hole. I got so frustrated that I quit trying to install it as we were in a hurry and towed our "new" trailer home without the electric brakes!

I definitely want the brakes working for the trip over Vail Pass! I recently towed a flat bed trailer home from Denver with a huge load of stone for my husbands business. I had to pull over twice to let the brakes quit smoking and cool down. Talk about scared ! I was seriously eyeing up the run away truck ramps!! I don't scare too easily, either! (Well, maybe flying solo in my hot air balloon ...of course that passion has had to be put on the way back burner!!! )

If anyone has a similar set up like mine, 99 Suburban, please let me know if you've installed the Jordon Ultima. Thanks!!!
Old 07-11-2004, 11:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Your vehicle may not be equiped with the power block, but I have also heard of tying into the cigarette lighter power wire to power the brake controler. If you do this do use an inline fuse.

John G
Old 10-04-2004, 05:33 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
I readjusted the cable on my Jordon Brake Controller yesterday. The instructions say to adjust the cable with the set screw to where the display just goes off. This is a hard spot to hit! I finally hit a spot where the reading on the display doesn't always go off, but it will if I lift up on the brake with my toe a little. Is this normal? If I hit a spot where the display always goes off when the brakes are released, there is some slack in the cable. I didn't like any slack.

I would assume that the display should be off while towing, except for the green light that shows continuity. I would also assume that if the display is on, the small amount of current indicated would be going to the brake magnets.

I may try to call Mr. Jordon today and get his input.

Sam
Airstream12557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 08:44 AM   #9

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream12557
I readjusted the cable on my Jordon Brake Controller yesterday. The instructions say to adjust the cable with the set screw to where the display just goes off. This is a hard spot to hit! I finally hit a spot where the reading on the display doesn't always go off, but it will if I lift up on the brake with my toe a little. Is this normal?

Sam
Hi Sam! You are close to the right spot. You really need to make some small movements with the cable to get it right. You don't want the display to be on (when not depressing the pedal) other than the green light. It wasn't too hard to do on my van. I've got mine set so that a slight movement (and I mean just touching the pedal) will trigger the initial voltage on the controller. I do not have any noticable slack in the cable.

This controller is the best one I have ever used. My local dealer is now installing them based on the test drive they did when I bought my Classic.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 12:54 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Hi Sam! You are close to the right spot. You really need to make some small movements with the cable to get it right. You don't want the display to be on (when not depressing the pedal) other than the green light. It wasn't too hard to do on my van. I've got mine set so that a slight movement (and I mean just touching the pedal) will trigger the initial voltage on the controller. I do not have any noticable slack in the cable. Jack
I talked with Mr. Jordon this morning. He confirmed what I was thinking and what you said, (there should be no numbers showing on the display when the brake pedal is released. To get to that point on my truck, there has to be some slack in my cable. When there is no slack, I have to lift the pedal with my toe to get the display to not show a number. Mr. Jordon said some vehicles did not have a strong enough return action on the brake pedal to zero the display with no slack in the cable. He said it is best to not have any slack in the cable, but it is more important to the life of the controller to not have a number on the display when the brake pedal is released. He said if the display doesn't go blank and the controller sits too long with a small current going through it, it will overheat the controller and it will then display all 8's which indicates that there is a problem with the display.

Sam
Airstream12557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 08:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream12557
I readjusted the cable on my Jordon Brake Controller yesterday. The instructions say to adjust the cable with the set screw to where the display just goes off. This is a hard spot to hit! I finally hit a spot where the reading on the display doesn't always go off, but it will if I lift up on the brake with my toe a little. Is this normal? If I hit a spot where the display always goes off when the brakes are released, there is some slack in the cable. I didn't like any slack.

I would assume that the display should be off while towing, except for the green light that shows continuity. I would also assume that if the display is on, the small amount of current indicated would be going to the brake magnets.

Sam
How far from the centre of the brake pedal is you controller? I found that when I had it about a foot to the right there was too much friction between the cable and the tube, and the spring in the controller was not strong enough to pull the cable back into the controller far enough to completly turn off the power to the brakes. I now have it mounted closer to the steering column. See this thread for more info.
Install Jordon Ultima BC on 04 Suburban Post #20 shows my installation.
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote