Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Fort White , Florida
I just looked over the wire job, is it normal to run the brake wire along my gas line? it looks like they took the easy way out, I think it would been better if they ran the wire with its own clips away from my gas line. they busted my inspection plate, Also, after months of me putting new LED lights, getting every brake light, blinker lights, running lights to work, After they fiddled with my cable, now nothing works, I have an appointment with Texas Trailers on friday, they will install a brake control system and redo all the wiring Sanders did, I called Sanders Airstream, they said, they were done with me after they gave me my $977 back, and said they do not want to do any more on my rig, I was very polite, thanked them , and now I guess I let the corporate office know what happened.
My only concern now is, I need to hook up a temp emergency flasher lights in the back of my rig for my trip to texas trailer, so thats the latest folks thank you
John
floridartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #22
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
John, you may have seen this already from the Airstream, Inc. website, but here is how your 7 should be wired: http://www.airstream.com/docs/7wayplug1966-81.pdf

That assumes, of course, that a PO or the dealer didn't really screw something up big time. I bought a "pig tail" 7 way from NAPA and wired my own based on this diagram.

To answer you question about how the brake line is routed along the gas line, my brake lines are all in the belly pan, NOT the outside of the camper (except, of course, the last foot or so where they connect to the wheel itself).

Sounds like you have a real mess on your hands. Be very careful towing that rascal.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhouse View Post
MELLO MIKE--- Was it a private shop or an Airstream shop that installed your 7 wire plug? and why wasn't it checked out upon completeing the work? Seems late in the game to find the problem just prior to a trip.
Hi Airhouse,
Actually, I ordered the pigtail online from Out of Doors Mart. I installed it myself, you simply plug it in so there's no installation really involved. Luckily I kept my old pigtail which looks awful but is functional this last weekend.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:11 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Fort White , Florida
Thank you Jim, That is a very good diagram, I will go check my plug now, I wonder if they messed with the other side of the cable too.
John
floridartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:02 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Currently Looking...
White Pigeon , Michigan
Mello Mike Thanks for the get back. See, I can even learn from asking dumb questions!!! Anyway glad to know that. I'll take 10 lashes with a wet noodle.
Airhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:00 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
John...your situation is confusing...did you not have ANY brake wiring on your trailer when you took it in for the 'brake work'.?

for electric brakes, there are two wires from each hub that are normally routed up into the belly pan. From there they are consolidate so that the 'actuator' wire goes forward to the 7-way socket in the front of your trailer.

The only brake wire that may be next to the gas line (that's exposed) is the wire from the breakaway switch near the hitch coupler that's energized when the switch pin is pulled out...and I don't see any problem with this stock type of routing the brake wire as long as it's not subject to any chaffing...

In my way of thinking, the trailer wiring part of the 7-way socket wouldn't be modified by the dealer....they may have moved some of the wire connections in the actual 7-way cable you provided (the new one) to account for your current problems -

However, I'm still hung up on why everything worked when you drove in, but not when you left...did you replace the 7-way cord with the new one AFTER they did the brake job? If so, then the 4 incorrectly connected wires in the new cord are the cause of your problems - you only have to reroute the wires on ONE END of the cord...

I'd plug the cord into my tow vehicle, then using a multi-meter, find which wire does what and wire the trailer end of the plug accordingly to the Airstream 7-way diagram for your year's model...

Another thought, the incorrect wiring could have blown several fuses in your trailer's fuse panel - have you checked them yet? Don't overlook the large fuses for the battery circuits...you may have a circuit breaker for the electric brake circuit - check it out also - they also wear out du eto heavy use as well...

Good luck...let's get your AS back on the road!