Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2021, 01:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
LaPlata , Missouri
replacing different aged tires

I am thinking about replacing the tires on Gretchen, our 2004 25RBT Classic. Two of the tires were manufactured in 2015, one in 2017, and one in 2018. The spare was manufactured in 2006. They are Maximus ST225/75R15. I am inclined to replace only the three oldest, giving me three new tires plus the one manufactured in 2018 on the ground. The one manufactured in 2017 would become the spare. What are your thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
PEJensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:38 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

How much do you tow the trailer? How much time does it just sit there? How much would trashing the trailer with a blowout bother you? For some folks, they simply aren't on the road much or at very high speeds. Others tow 10,000 to 20,000 miles a year at 70+ MPH.

The common wisdom is that any tire over 10 years old is dangerous. Anything over 5 years needs to be inspected and monitored.

It also is pretty normal to run same / same tires on all the wheels. This reduces the burden on the odd tire. It also generally improves handling / tracking / braking.

So, the spare is indeed trash. I'd suggest replacing all 4 that will be on the ground rather than trying to save one of the others.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
My thought is to do them all. It is hard to guess how long is too long. But there is no doubt they weaken every year from day one.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Tire replacement

Good tires and good brakes are the least expensive insurance you can get.

Purchase 4 high quality tires for the road and keep the newest tire of the used for a spare. Tire failure on an AS can get mighty expensive.

Tire failure is a PITA and risks causing an accident. Be safe. Spend the $$$$.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:03 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
LaPlata , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

How much do you tow the trailer? How much time does it just sit there? How much would trashing the trailer with a blowout bother you? For some folks, they simply aren't on the road much or at very high speeds. Others tow 10,000 to 20,000 miles a year at 70+ MPH.

The common wisdom is that any tire over 10 years old is dangerous. Anything over 5 years needs to be inspected and monitored.

It also is pretty normal to run same / same tires on all the wheels. This reduces the burden on the odd tire. It also generally improves handling / tracking / braking.

So, the spare is indeed trash. I'd suggest replacing all 4 that will be on the ground rather than trying to save one of the others.

Bob

Thanks Uncle Bob. You asked good questions. Gretchen is in an enclosed shed at least 45 weeks of the year. She is towed less than 2000 miles a year and at a max speed of 60. And it would be very bad to have a blow out. your suggestion matches other comments. I'll get 4 new tires.

Thanks again.
PEJensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:46 AM   #6
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Personally I would do them all at the same time and make sure they have the same manufacturers date - when we replaced ours with GYE, I personally check the dates on each tire. This make life a lot easier for control and replacement...
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:21 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
Tire Life

PEJensen - I don't know what happened to all the discussions on this site about tires. As I remember, you will never wear the tread out on trailer tires. That's not the issue, and if it is, you have other problems going on. The problem is degradation. The tires all always off-gassing, even sitting in a dark garage. That makes the tires continually getting less dependable. If you scope out the tire websites they almost come to the conclusion that 5-6 years is the maximum time a tire is good for. The volatiles in the tire are no longer in high enough quantities to safely support the weight they were designed for while traveling. Please look into this yourself!!! You can make a determination on how much risk you're willing to expose yourself to. My tires came off the production line in December of 2018. I've got a couple more years, but I WILL NOT exceed the 5 year window. The last thing I need to see in my review mirror is my Surface Interval (2019 22' Sport) careening around in my review mirrors while I'm wrestling with the steering wheel.
DAVSCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 01:43 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Cedar Hill , Texas
Please please please don't think I am trying to start a fight. I am NOT. I have heard for years and years to replace my tires every 7 years no matter what. And I do. But I have always wondered if this is something the tire companies came up with (I'm a very suspicious man) or where is the data? I Know there are some very smart people on this form, so I figure someone will likely post a link.
Thanks.
fthopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:08 PM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by fthopkins View Post
Please please please don't think I am trying to start a fight. I am NOT. I have heard for years and years to replace my tires every 7 years no matter what. And I do. But I have always wondered if this is something the tire companies came up with (I'm a very suspicious man) or where is the data? I Know there are some very smart people on this form, so I figure someone will likely post a link.
Thanks.
Hi

How much to your tires sit and how much do they move?

How fast do you drive when towing?

How much sun do they get and how bright is the sun?

How many curbs do you hit?

How well do you watch your tire inflation?

How hot does it get where you live and for how long?

How cold does it get and for how long?

How good a tire did you buy?

How good a tire did you actually get when you bought it?

(yes this can go on and on).

Since nobody ever has the exact same answers to the full list of variables, there is no one single answer to the "how long?" question. Folks most certainly see wear out issues with tires before the magic "5 year" limit. Others *seem* to roll down the road on much older tires without winding up in the ditch.

All that said, the tire guys aren't lying to you. Don't run old tires.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote