Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Virginia City , Nevada
In the Baja and need tires

So here I am in Loreto, Baja California, Mexico, with two badly worn tires because my bearings were not adjusted properly. I do not want to try to make it to the border to get new tires, but I can not find ST225/75R15 tires in either Cabo San Lucas, La Paz, Constitucion, or Loreto. I have found a TOYO tire: LT225/70R15C Load Range D 8 ply tire and from what I can discern from the discussion, the LT designation is not a major concern (especially since I am not in much of a position to be very fussy), BUT I am wondering if the '70' aspect ratio is something I should be concerned about. I'd appreciate hearing something from someone soon as I am getting the bearings repacked and adjusted on Monday and hope to put new tires on the trailer (1995 21' Sovereign) afterwards. Your comments would be appreciated!
PYandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
The 70% aspect ratio will mean these tires are not as tall as the 75s. The tire may squat a little more also. If they fit in the wheel well and they can take the load of the trailer this is all you need to get back to the states.

The LT will mean the side wall is a little stiffer than the ST. There are other differences however this is likley the biggest difference. It will ride a little harder.

Stamped on the side wall of each tire will be the max load the tire can handle at max inflation. I am not familar enough with a '95 Sovereign to know if it's single or double axle. If single multiply the tire capacity by two and hopefully that number is greater than what the total weight of the trailer. You did weigh your trailer and know what that weight is???????

This scenario has happened to my on my way to Puerto Penasco. Bought uesed tires there to get me back to the states. I still have those tires however they are not mounted. Just loose spares in case the need comes up again.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 12-05-2008, 07:24 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Virginia City , Nevada
Thanks for the reply. My Sovereign is dual axle, the original tire specs were for load range C tires, but from what I can discern, Airstream now recommends the Good Year Marathon tires which are a load range D tire, giving me over 10,000 pounds capacity. My dry weight is 3,900 pounds, and I don't take my rock collection along me (remember Lucy in the 'Long Long Trailer'), so my 'wet-loaded' weight is way under my total capacity. I have decided that rather than give up any ground clearance, I am going to try to find a couple used tires to get me to the border, but since only two of my tires are really bad, I'll rotate the bad tires to the good tire positions and keep the used tires I buy as spares only if I need them. I have only had one flat tire in the 13 years I have owned the trailer and since that time, I have always carried a tire patch kit with me in case I get a flat along side the road a long distance from a tire repair shop (as you know, 'llanterias' can be few and far between on the Baja!). Thanks again.
PYandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYandre View Post
So here I am in Loreto, Baja California, Mexico, with two badly worn tires because my bearings were not adjusted properly. I do not want to try to make it to the border to get new tires, but I can not find ST225/75R15 tires in either Cabo San Lucas, La Paz, Constitucion, or Loreto. I have found a TOYO tire: LT225/70R15C Load Range D 8 ply tire and from what I can discern from the discussion, the LT designation is not a major concern (especially since I am not in much of a position to be very fussy), BUT I am wondering if the '70' aspect ratio is something I should be concerned about. I'd appreciate hearing something from someone soon as I am getting the bearings repacked and adjusted on Monday and hope to put new tires on the trailer (1995 21' Sovereign) afterwards. Your comments would be appreciated!
I would wonder how far out of ajustment your bearings are to cause significant tire wear? That seems mighty loose. I think I would look hard at the axles/ alignment. Just a thought to ponder. Good luck, you have lots of empty miles to cover. Adios, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:00 AM   #5
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Si!

If the max possible load is say 5000#'s. You need tires rated at just over 1250 #'s each. The letter is a quick way to find the tire and "E" range is going to be too high a range for your trailer. Especially in an LT. The ride you will give your trailer will be too stiff with an "E" load range. A load range "D" is something like 2000 #'s. Which may be too much for your load.

This is a case where bigger is not necessarily better. The higher the range you get the stiffer the tire sidewall. This is OK if you have that kind of load. If not the trailer will bounce around and the contents can be scattered. Not to mention the stress you place on the trailer.

Structure your tires to carry 110% to 125% of the max load possible. More than that and you waste pesos on unneeded capacity and hurt the riding charistics of the trailer. With possible damage to the trailer.

And used is likley OK in the Baja. Down there they go over board on tires because the road conditioons are so poor.

Happy Trails!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 12-05-2008, 11:55 AM   #6
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
PY,

"TOYO tire: LT225/70R15C Load Range D 8 ply tire "

Looks to me like the tire size you're looking at is a Load Range C. Or I guess I'm mistaken about what the C at the end of your /70R15C means. Good luck, in any event.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote