Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 08:47 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
isn't an Airstream a "shiny aluminum cooler" in Canada?
Now that you mention it - every picture we have of you know who there is a beer bottle in the picture and an empty one at that

Serious question related to this thread.

Is there a specific area/place where the "down angle" of the torsion arm is stated for older Airstreams. Can not seem to find it in the owners manual - or could it be in the 73 service manual - if so would that still hold true for the 69 Globe Trotter??? 4000lb rated axle?

Thanks ahead for any info on this point.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:16 PM   #122
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
Axis Axle

This Is The Most Important Development On This Forum That I Have Seen Since I Started Looking At It Over A Year Ago ... This Is Like
The S.e.m.a Show For Airstreams.... And I Hope This Is Just A Beginning ... There Are So Many Of Us That We Can Surely Come Up With Some More Great Ideas ... Like Lou...
Old 05-03-2005, 09:32 PM   #123
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Now that you mention it - every picture we have of you know who there is a beer bottle in the picture and an empty one at that

Serious question related to this thread.

Is there a specific area/place where the "down angle" of the torsion arm is stated for older Airstreams. Can not seem to find it in the owners manual - or could it be in the 73 service manual - if so would that still hold true for the 69 Globe Trotter??? 4000lb rated axle?

Thanks ahead for any info on this point.
Sharon and Peter,
Check your GVWR of the trailer. I would strongly suggest to not grossly exceed this. A dealer is being sued for this same thing. Exceeding the GVWR.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:38 PM   #124
Rivet Master

I think a collection is in order!

Considering ALL I have done for all of you I think you should all chip in on my axle!
Do I need to get out a tim can?
Old 05-04-2005, 06:21 AM   #125
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
Considering ALL I have done for all of you I think you should all chip in on my axle!
Do I need to get out a tim can?
Hmmm the key word being "chip" how about some ice chips for that beer you have been drinking too much of

The original tag on the Duro-torque on our Globe Trotter IS 4000lbs. We do not have a tag anywhere that indicates gross vehicle weight rating.

From what I have seen here most GVWR and axle ratings provide for about 500 - 1000lb carrying capacity - this room allows for option upgrades, liquids and cargo (and Molson Ice! either in liquid or solid form).

Going by the dry weight of 3330 lbs gives our rig 670lbs There is an air conditioner & Awning/ 125lbs and if our 3 main liquids are full (2 30lbLP tanks/60lbs, 6 gal HWT/49.8lbs and a 30 gal Fresh Water Tank/249 lbs) That is a total of 483.8lbs That leaves only 186.2lbs for cargo!......
....the aircondintioner and awning have to go we can run a fan over the Moslon Ice and duct tape the cases for a CB or BC Awning

Andy at Inland had mentioned that we could push the axle up to a 4500 but then we would always have to travel with water in our fresh water tank to keep the rig set up good. We thought of this for a bit and then our Winter has to be considered - as we do travel most during the winter it would be an issue. I suppose we could store weights instead - but then what do you do with the extra weight when you are south of the "freeze" line.

Nope 4000 is what she was original rated for so that is what we will stick with - she has lasted 35 years so bringing her back to spec should do just fine (including the airstream shocks) besides she is not big enough to store everything but the kitchen sink - a bit of food, bar of soap and a change of clothes did I miss anything ....oh yes and a case or two of Molson Ice ...make that 4 - 2 for Lou.....
Old 05-04-2005, 06:42 AM   #126
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
The original tag on the Duro-torque on our Globe Trotter IS 4000lbs. We do not have a tag anywhere that indicates gross vehicle weight rating.Nope 4000 is what she was original rated for so that is what we will stick with - she has lasted 35 years so bringing her back to spec should do just fine (including the airstream shocks)
My Argosy 20 has a 4500 pound axle from the factory, supposed GVW is 3500, but after looking around, found some documentation that it is closer to 4000. On a single-axle trailer.
The lower -rated axle will give a softer ride, and throw your stuff around less.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:35 PM   #127
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
The original tag on the Duro-torque on our Globe Trotter IS 4000lbs. We do not have a tag anywhere that indicates gross vehicle weight rating.

From what I have seen here most GVWR and axle ratings provide for about 500 - 1000lb carrying capacity - this room allows for option upgrades, liquids and cargo (and Molson Ice! either in liquid or solid form).

Going by the dry weight of 3330 lbs gives our rig 670lbs . . . . .

What if you do the calculation this way, with the tongue weight:

GVWR = GAWR + Tongue Wt.

If the axle is rated 4000#, and you have 12% tongue weight, your GVWR is 4550#. That give you a lot better carrying capacity of 1220#.

That is, if the 3330# dry weight is the total weight, not the axle weight. If the 3330# dry weight is axle weight, then your carrying capacity is only 760#. Which is still better than 670#.

If you want to push it a little farther, you can subtract the weight of the wheels and tires from the axle weight, as they aren't carried by the axle. That's another 120#.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:24 PM   #128
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
For Canadian Airstreamers I would highly recommend Standens in Calgary.They made me custom axles to my specs for less than half the price of the Henschens.Also delivered in two days.No hassles.
We'll have to start a new thread American beer vs Canadian beer.Remember American beer is like sex in a canoe.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:09 PM   #129
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg176
For Canadian Airstreamers I would highly recommend Standens in Calgary.They made me custom axles to my specs for less than half the price of the Henschens.Also delivered in two days.No hassles.
We'll have to start a new thread American beer vs Canadian beer.Remember American beer is like sex in a canoe.
The Axis axle will still be cheaper only if you have them shipped to a US address.
Like my buddies Peter and Sharon, they live pretty close and I have all of the stuff to do the axle change!
Plus I want to collect on my case of Molson Ice!
Old 05-04-2005, 11:13 PM   #130
Rivet Master

Well, the verdict is in on the Axis torsion axle!

I was hoping that I would be able to come back and post that the axle worked well.
I cannot say that it worked well.
I CAN SAY IT WORKED AWESOME! FABULOUS! TREMENDOUS!
It is like night and day.
The trailer did not tow well behind my tow vehicle.
IT FLOATED WELL BEHIND THE TOW VEHCILE!
At first I was a bit nervous. I had new EVERYTHING for running gear.
New brakes.
New drums.
New 94005 NAPA shocks
New Axis torsion axle, (the most important part)

After Henry fully prepped me on the proper maintenance of my new axle he told me to check the lug nuts, (Argosy Minuets were equipped with lug nuts, not lug bolts), a couple of time on my way home.

As I inched into the Indiana Toll Road I was a bit apprehensive. I took it easy for the first 30 miles. I stopped and checked the lug nuts. I had to tighten them up as I now have all brand new components.

I felt a little more confident as I pulled back onto the Toll Road. I picked up the speed from 55 to 65. Then to 70. I them looked down and I was doing 80! I could not get that trailer to bounce, rattle or roll!

I stopped one more time for gas and to check the lugs again and off I went, running up I-69 at about 80 mph so I could beat the traffic when I got to the Metro-Detroit area. I actually spent more time in the passing lane. I put things in the cupboards and drawers. I also put the sink covers on. I had nothing fly out of cupboards. The sink covers remained in place! No doors flew open and nothing got knocked around. It was astounding!

To give you an idea, when I had the old axle on the trailer I would not dare go over 65. It would bump and jostle down the road.

I cannot say enough about the treatment I received while I was at Axis today.

Henry gave me the grand tour. I got to see the differences between the manfacturing process of Axis and the competition.
I was able to see a state-of-the-art welding cell with four robots welding up axle ends more precisely than what can be done by human hands. I have done NOTHING but stuff like this my entire professional career. I KNOW that what Axis does is above what I have seen elsewhere! I know manufacturing and manufacturing processes! THis place ROCKS!

Eric, the owner, is very approachable! A good, down-to-earth kind of guy. I had a chance to bend his ear about the workings of Axis Products. They are truly a miracle!

Well, I just wanted to let eveyone know that I made it home just fine. Usually, I am pretty beat up from driving in near rush-hour traffic. Couple that with pulling a trailer. The is usually hari-raising! This time ai hde to keep looking in my rearview mirror because it semed like the trailer was not THERE!
Henry walked me through all of the paperwork he gave. When you buy an axle from Axis Products you walk away with REAL documentation. Not something located in a "Black binder" that is hidden away in an office!

This axle now has 250+ miles today. It perfomred FLAWLESSLY!

Be sure to visit their website and PLEASE give Henry a call. The website address is: www.axisproducts.com

Their phone number is: (574) 266-8282

The people at Axis Products ROCK!

All of this and less than half the price too! They also have a really decent warranty. Not that I will need it. I am VERY confident with my Axis Products axle!
Old 05-05-2005, 06:57 AM   #131
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
From their product list, it looks like a 10 degree down angle would be closer to what came on our units, the 25 degree angle is a little tall in the saddle for my taste. But at least you won't drag the back bumper on the trailer when you hit those Michigan Divots (potholes).
Old 05-05-2005, 09:56 AM   #132
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
From their product list, it looks like a 10 degree down angle would be closer to what came on our units, the 25 degree angle is a little tall in the saddle for my taste. But at least you won't drag the back bumper on the trailer when you hit those Michigan Divots (potholes).
Terry
It is a bit high but it tows BEAUTIFULLY!
Now when I mount my stabilizer jacks I won't have to worry about ripping the back ones off when I hit a dip at a gas station!
I would not go higher than what it is. That would be insanely high. You start messing with the center of gravity if you go too high.
We do have a lot of potholes here. They mainly bloom in the late winter or early spring.
This axle performed flawlessly over some of the worst Interstate that we have along I-94. It did not even bounce. It sat FLAT! Just like it did when it was new.
Henry will make an axle in ANY flavor you want. He is a very approachable person. Tell him what you want and he will tell educate you all about axles. That is ALL he does. ALL DAY LONG. Day-in day-out.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:47 AM   #133
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
I think you will find that all older units had a 22.5 degree down angle.I had my axles made with a 45 degree angle to get more clearance.I will be towing my unit on the Gabriola Island ferry which has a very steep short ramp.That extra angle adds about an inch.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:32 PM   #134
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Lou - So glad all went well for you! Sounds like you were bounching way more than your trailer ever could See this smillie he is watching you when you got home yesterday - boucning off the walls with joy - or was that because you had to many of those anticipated Molson Ice beers.

Got our intial quote today Looks like we will be taking a trip to Indiana to see the Axleman as soon as the Tax Man pays the Ferry Man - Us.

As some may know we just bought a 1961 Overlander - it has the leaf spring suspension and we are seriously considering outfitting her with a new Torsion axle system. Besides the common sense fabrication to maintain perfect centre of gravity and rear and forward weight distribution the same - has anyone changed out their systems? Did it make much of a difference in the handling of the trailer?

With lesson learned that the pretty stuff and fun stuff in restoring the trailer should be LAST on the list. So this time around our first job is to get the axle(s) up to snuff!!!!

What we have in mind if we can swing it is to take a loop trip - down to VT with our GT axle in the back of the Yukon to pick up the new 61OV and drive straight to - the axleman - drop off both the GT Axle and the 61OV trailer for the refab.

Stop in to Lous' with a case or two - then home for some R&R on the dock and wait for the call. When both the GT axle and the axles refit for the 61OV is done - we drag ourselves off the Dock and back down to Indiana again to pick up some pretty cool toys! (and a trip into camping world for all the other goodies needed to finish the GT and to deck out the new 61OV.

Play with the GT for the rest of the summer and finish her restore (save the shine job) our summers are not that long so we may run out of time - unless we can do it down at the waterfront -hmm don't think the neighbours would appreciate a buffer/compounder going all day.

Regarding our weight - Markdone - Thanks you just gave me another 300+ pounds to carry the extra beer to Lous' - The axle is "rated" 4000lbs and the trailer dry weight total is 3330lbs.

We are getting the 4000lb axle with 12inch brakes, SS lugs and after what we saw on our trip both down and back to Florida during the winter months of the crud that accumulates on our coach - (here comes that pretty vs practical concept again) we opted for the galvanized coating.

And one last question - does anyone know where the Down Angle was actually listed or anyone know for sure that it really was 22.5 ????? where does this information come from or originate - just gotta know!

Thanks again Lou for this great resourceful thread - and to Axis Products for thinking of us Airstream enthusiasts.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:45 PM   #135
Rivet Master

Quote:
Lou - So glad all went well for you! Sounds like you were bounching way more than your trailer ever could See this smillie he is watching you when you got home yesterday - boucning off the walls with joy - or was that because you had to many of those anticipated Molson Ice beers.

Got our intial quote today Looks like we will be taking a trip to Indiana to see the Axleman as soon as the Tax Man pays the Ferry Man - Us.

As some may know we just bought a 1961 Overlander - it has the leaf spring suspension and we are seriously considering outfitting her with a new Torsion axle system. Besides the common sense fabrication to maintain perfect centre of gravity and rear and forward weight distribution the same - has anyone changed out their systems? Did it make much of a difference in the handling of the trailer?

With lesson learned that the pretty stuff and fun stuff in restoring the trailer should be LAST on the list. So this time around our first job is to get the axle(s) up to snuff!!!!

What we have in mind if we can swing it is to take a loop trip - down to VT with our GT axle in the back of the Yukon to pick up the new 61OV and drive straight to - the axleman - drop off both the GT Axle and the 61OV trailer for the refab.

Stop in to Lous' with a case or two - then home for some R&R on the dock and wait for the call. When both the GT axle and the axles refit for the 61OV is done - we drag ourselves off the Dock and back down to Indiana again to pick up some pretty cool toys! (and a trip into camping world for all the other goodies needed to finish the GT and to deck out the new 61OV.

Play with the GT for the rest of the summer and finish her restore (save the shine job) our summers are not that long so we may run out of time - unless we can do it down at the waterfront -hmm don't think the neighbours would appreciate a buffer/compounder going all day.

Regarding our weight - Markdone - Thanks you just gave me another 300+ pounds to carry the extra beer to Lous' - The axle is "rated" 4000lbs and the trailer dry weight total is 3330lbs.

We are getting the 4000lb axle with 12inch brakes, SS lugs and after what we saw on our trip both down and back to Florida during the winter months of the crud that accumulates on our coach - (here comes that pretty vs practical concept again) we opted for the galvanized coating.

And one last question - does anyone know where the Down Angle was actually listed or anyone know for sure that it really was 22.5 ????? where does this information come from or originate - just gotta know!

Thanks again Lou for this great resourceful thread - and to Axis Products for thinking of us Airstream enthusiasts.
Well, 22.5 degrees of down angle is one of the "standard" down angles. I am not sure if it was standard on Airstreams but it does seem rather high. I really do not think that you would hurt anything by deviating from the standard down angle. Keep in mind that when you change the angle you will also affect the way the shock mounts. Sort of like when you lift a pick-up truck; the higher you go the further away mounting locations would be. going with the 94005 NAPA shock on mine was perfect as my shock is more "vertical" now. Come to think of it, I have never seen a shock on a good axle that really was horizontal. I have seen them "pitched down a little more than usual. I do not think they are actually horizontal.
Where is my Molson? I keep looking down the street for you guys to pull up with it!
Old 05-05-2005, 01:52 PM   #136
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks again Lou for the play by play...this was one of the most interesting/informative threads I've read here. Before this thread I knew only what a torsion axle was and how it was built. I had no idea of angles and brackets, etc that were involved.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:57 PM   #137
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
My '61 Overlander originally had torsion axles.I posted several pics of the install in the thread titled frame repair.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:56 PM   #138
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Thanks again Lou for the play by play...this was one of the most interesting/informative threads I've read here. Before this thread I knew only what a torsion axle was and how it was built. I had no idea of angles and brackets, etc that were involved.
It's all of you that make it so fun to post this stuff!
I have really enjoyed it.
I also hope that I have supplied a quality source for very AFFORDABLE replacement axles. That is the most important thing for me. That is why I started the thread about cheap appliances back in February.
I had found that the two most expensive items, with the fewest suppliers, was Carrier A/C units and the axles.

Keep looking here. I am going to put up some new pictures too!
Old 05-05-2005, 06:57 PM   #139
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg176
My '61 Overlander originally had torsion axles.I posted several pics of the install in the thread titled frame repair.
I bet that will help everyone with the installation of their new "cheap" axles!
Old 05-06-2005, 12:56 PM   #140
Rivet Master

Here are the pictures of the Minuet after I got it home.
It actually floated! I am not kidding. It rode like it was brand new.
I am VERY please with the job that Axis Products did.
I will post some from under the trailer after I get my other digital camera back from my wife. She only wants to take pictures of the kids. Can you imagine that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	curbside.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	12002   Click image for larger version

Name:	streetside.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	12003  

Click image for larger version

Name:	close-up.JPG