Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2006, 04:06 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Collettsville , North Carolina
shroud fabrication

I need to do something about a shroud for my AC on my Argosy project. Has anyone ever build an AC shroud from scratch? It an Armstrong AC and I dont even know if you can get a new shroud? I thought about making me a shroud from sheet metal. Any suggestions?
mtnman
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:28 AM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Can you repair the old one?

or is it missing completely? If it's repairable, take a look at member TomW's website, his threads on this forum, or my thread (below, at the end of the thread). Tom came up with a way to repair them that is way cool.

If it's missing altogether, you can buy them. At least I've read here that members have bought them, but I don't know from where. Member RebelBeck found a source for them, I believe, but they are bit expensive.

Good Luck with it.

Jim
http://www.airforums.com/forum...nte-15132.html

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 06:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Yes they are exp.

Yes they are costly. We are at the point of what to do with ours. I searched alot on this and can't decided. I'm afraid if you fabricate something is it going to work, is it going to be to heavy, and most of all will it be safe and not blow off as you are going down the road. Let me know anything you find out.

Becky
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 08:36 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel beck
Yes they are costly. We are at the point of what to do with ours. I searched alot on this and can't decided. I'm afraid if you fabricate something is it going to work, is it going to be to heavy, and most of all will it be safe and not blow off as you are going down the road. Let me know anything you find out.
Becky
I will keep you posted. I do not have a shroud at all. It was wasted when I bought the Argosy. I even thought about just painting the AC its self and not having a shroud, anyone done that? I really believe I can make one from sheet metal available from Lowes Hdw, I looked at it yesterday.
mtnman
Old 01-25-2006, 03:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
I think you will have to have a shroud, that is how we found out our's had a big hole in it. After a heavy rain I noticed the carpet was wet so we climbed up and found the hole.

Becky
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:21 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I dont think mine is leaking anywhere. We camped in it about 2 weeks ago and were in a heavy rain storm one night and had a couple small leaks around a couple windows but nothing around the AC.
mtnman
Old 01-25-2006, 03:51 PM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
You can build your own shroud out of sheet metal...aluminum prefered I have played around with doing one on an english wheel, but haven't done anything past some bits and pieces. You could build a nice square one, I have seen several, they look very vintage (50's that is) I suppose if you were handy you could make one out of fiberglass or even get some sheet ABS and build a new one from scratch. IIRC a replacement fibreglass one is going to set you back somewhere in the $250-$300 range.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:45 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
You'll find replacement shrouds right here. I would suggest tightening your seat belt before you click. Almost half way down the page, four different ones listed in a row, items 69807 thru 69831. Hold on tight!

http://www.inlandrv.com/parts/

__
65GT,
I am glad you warned me!!! Thanks for that information though.
mtnman
Old 01-25-2006, 05:59 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
You can build your own shroud out of sheet metal...
PHP Code:
aluminum 
prefered I have played around with doing one on an english wheel, but haven't done anything past some bits and pieces. You could build a nice square one, I have seen several, they look very vintage (50's that is) I suppose if you were handy you could make one out of fiberglass or even get some sheet ABS and build a new one from scratch. IIRC a replacement fibreglass one is going to set you back somewhere in the $250-$300 range.

Aaron
Wahoonc,
Am I correct in assuming that the shroud does nothing but cover the AC and make it look better? It does not waterproof the AC unit does it?

I can buy 5 sections of aluminum ducting for $5 each to build a shroud from the local hdw. I can rivet it together and caulk it and maybe even paint it to match my argosy and it will cost me less than $30.
mtnman
Old 01-25-2006, 07:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
mtnman,

The shroud IS necessary. It provides rain protection, keeps debris out of the condenser and evaporator and if sealed properly, channels the cool air into the T/T and keeps it separated from the warm air exiting (return air). Plus they suffer from extreme inefficiency without a shroud. You might look at Maxx-Air. They have several replacement shrouds that are generic in nature and might just fit!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:42 PM   #11
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
I would suggest tightening your seat belt before you click.......Hold on tight!

http://www.inlandrv.com/parts/

__
This is exactly why I decided to have my fresh water tank repaired rather than buying a new one. I could quite literally have a stainless steel tank custom made locally for the prices I was seeing at the "vintage" trailer websites.

Mtnman, you need to cover the A/C unit in some way if its like mine. There are 120 ac volt items exposed to the elements if you don't. Mine has the fan motor sitting in the open under the shroud.

You are welcome to come to Atlanta and make a "mold" (or is that mould) of mine if you wish.

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Solid on top and front, louvered on the sides and maybe the rear

You want to have a solid top and front to keep the water out, louver the sides and back. If it would help you, I could try to take some digital pics of the shroud on my Armstrong and email to you. Just let me know.

I think it'd be really cool to make a metal one. My friend had a hood louvered by a custom shop for his '52 Chevy. Something like that done in stainless or Aluminum would be really cool. You could probably make a stamping tool yourself with a couple blocks of hardwood and use the old mallet method.

Good luck!
Old 01-25-2006, 09:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Mtnman, I am not too far away from you and I have what is left of a shroud that came off a 1965 Armstrong AC unit. Free for the taking. Heck, I'll even meet you in Hickory one day, evenings preferred.
Kev
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:08 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Pricey... think again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman
Wahoonc,
Am I correct in assuming that the shroud does nothing but cover the AC and make it look better? It does not waterproof the AC unit does it?

I can buy 5 sections of aluminum ducting for $5 each to build a shroud from the local hdw. I can rivet it together and caulk it and maybe even paint it to match my argosy and it will cost me less than $30.
mtnman
I restored an old house. Over it!
It'll only take $30.... Reality Check... It will always take 4 additional trips to the hardware store and an Extra $25 to finish your $30 project. And don't forget the do overs and tweaks as you learn through sweat equity. Then there's the trip to the emergency room... but it's only seven stitches and an aluminum finger splint that makes you look like you're making a most unladylike gesture all the time.

In the end the $300 cover may be cheaper.

You've gotta decide which you have more of: time or money - and be very realistic about your patience and skill level. There are 1000 projects to complete the restoration of any vintage Airstream. Even if you are very skilled and have family members who'll help, sometimes being "handy with a checkbook" is the best way to do it yourself.

To quote my dear departed Aunt Jean who called her Airstream The Silver Suppository "Of course I make cakes from scratch.... I just scratch open the box with my thumbnail..."

Whatever you do, have FUN. Good luck and good night.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:31 PM   #15
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
Hi Inland RV has a sale on them right now for a 1979 AC shroud 2 piece fiberglass for 225.00 part #6983
Old 01-25-2006, 10:37 PM   #16
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
Hi again mistake on part # correct # is 69831
Old 01-25-2006, 11:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
David

Land YACHT.... You've got yaght on your signature. Not trying to be the spelling police, but I thought you'd like to have your lovely Airstream represented correctly. Tin Liz
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:10 PM   #18
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
Tin Liz Thanks

I just cracked up when you pointed that out thanks, they sent me to school and thats all I have to say about that.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:45 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaFord
I restored an old house. Over it!
It'll only take $30.... Reality Check... It will always take 4 additional trips to the hardware store and an Extra $25 to finish your $30 project. And don't forget the do overs and tweaks as you learn through sweat equity. Then there's the trip to the emergency room... but it's only seven stitches and an aluminum finger splint that makes you look like you're making a most unladylike gesture all the time.

In the end the $300 cover may be cheaper.

You've gotta decide which you have more of: time or money - and be very realistic about your patience and skill level. There are 1000 projects to complete the restoration of any vintage Airstream. Even if you are very skilled and have family members who'll help, sometimes being "handy with a checkbook" is the best way to do it yourself.

To quote my dear departed Aunt Jean who called her Airstream The Silver Suppository "Of course I make cakes from scratch.... I just scratch open the box with my thumbnail..."

Whatever you do, have FUN. Good luck and good night.

Tin Lizzie
Tin Lizzie,
I can relate to what you are saying. Its a 50 mile round trip for us just to go to the grocery store. 20 miles of that 50 is dirt/gravel and sometimes mud! We have learn to get what we need when we are out. But I have also learn to get by without a lot as well. I also have a good supply of repair items on hand as well as tools and a nice size shop. We really have enjoyed this winter working on the coach. I know it is easy to just buy something new but I also enjoy making some things by hand as well. It gives me a lot of pleasure to know I was able to repair or rebuild something that someone else would have just thrown away and got a new one. Sort of like what a lot of people do to these old Airstreams. I loved what you said about the airstream restore being 1000 projects-this is very true!!!
mtnman
Old 01-26-2006, 08:50 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
guess mtnman didn't see my offer?
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote