Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Duotherm expectations?

I have a 72 31' Sovereign with a single Duotherm that I am retoring here in N Tx.
What can I expect cooling wise from this unit in our 100 F plus days? I see some post explaining the T-stat that I assume I have and is operational.
The unit is putting out cold air but on our first 100 F day It was only pulling it down into the 80's. I do have the back gutted but have most of the walls & insulation up. I noticed the wall/Ceiling by the front T-stat next to the Vistaview window was very hot.
Is this just the limits of design?
I have not tried the heat function as I don't think I could tell the difference from it and the ambient temp
Bermshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
100 degree day, 80s inside. Sounds like it's working fine to me.

On days like that, I close off the back of my Excella and only try to cool the kitchen/living room areas.

Shade helps. If you have awnings, put them out, of course, when the wind and rain conditions permit. You've got a pretty big Airstream and only one AC to address the challenge, like I do. I've learned to love shorts and fans in the summer.

N. Texas? Anywhere south of Amarillo is South Texas, including Lubbock. (Lived in Dalhart for several years before moving to the Hill Country, then to Arkansas)

By the way, welcome to the forums!
Old 06-15-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Actually that unit is doing pretty darn good.

If all's well with it, no leaks and such, you may find it more efficient than the newer units. The old refrigerant does a better job. The D-therm in our 63 was COLD!!!
Old 06-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Sounds like it's working as designed.

I have two air conditioners and can't get it cool enough on hot windy days in full sun.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
As I understand the spec. It is a 20 degree drop from the inlet to the outlet vents. If you start with a 100 degree trailer, 80 degrees coming out is good. Assuming after some time you get it down to 80 inside, you should be seeing 60 degree air coming out of the vents. I'm also in N Tex and it seems like this is week 3 of 100+ with at least a week and a half to go before they promise us a 99 degree day! We know that a parking spot in the shade at the end of the lot is far more valuable than one close to the door in Texas summers. Any shade you can find will help the A/C a lot.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
It's not so much the temperature drop across the evaporator but the fact that the A/C doesn't produce enough BTUs of cooling to overcome the heat gain through the skin on a hot day.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
It's not so much the temperature drop across the evaporator but the fact that the A/C doesn't produce enough BTUs of cooling to overcome the heat gain through the skin on a hot day.
Exactly! I can shoot my IR thermometer in the vents of my Carrier and record temps from the high 30s to low 40s. The temp that is finally exiting the vents is higher, but still very cool. That doesn't stop the inside of the trailer from heating up. Touching a wall or ceiling that is in direct sun is hot. That naturally heats up the inside. It is also much hotter in the living area with all the windows, including the wrap-around ones on the front than in the bedroom which only has 3 windows and more insulated wall area.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post

~~

N. Texas? Anywhere south of Amarillo is South Texas, including Lubbock. (Lived in Dalhart for several years before moving to the Hill Country, then to Arkansas)

~~
It's all a matter of perspective. I tend to think of anything north of Lubbock as being more like western Oklahoma.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
It's all a matter of perspective. I tend to think of anything north of Lubbock as being more like western Oklahoma.
Not really an unfair comparison.

That or south Kansas.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Exactly! I can shoot my IR thermometer in the vents of my Carrier and record temps from the high 30s to low 40s. The temp that is finally exiting the vents is higher, but still very cool. That doesn't stop the inside of the trailer from heating up. Touching a wall or ceiling that is in direct sun is hot. That naturally heats up the inside. It is also much hotter in the living area with all the windows, including the wrap-around ones on the front than in the bedroom which only has 3 windows and more insulated wall area.
I've found that the single AC on my 2002 ASCL 31' does a very adequate job of cooling, but that may be due to the "Limited" models wall coverings, i.e. the foam backed vinyl ceiling, wall paneling, mouse fur, etc. which adds an additional pseudo layer of insulation.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by withidl View Post
I've found that the single AC on my 2002 ASCL 31' does a very adequate job of cooling, but that may be due to the "Limited" models wall coverings, i.e. the foam backed vinyl ceiling, wall paneling, mouse fur, etc. which adds an additional pseudo layer of insulation.
That's funny, I was just thinking about something like headliner material with a thin layer of insulation on my way home from work yesterday. Would give the interior a nice padded cell look.

A friend has a 2006 34' Classic and it seem not to be as affected by the direct sun. On the other hand, it has a second AC, so I really haven't compared inside temperatures anyway.