Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
Me loves da little twinky

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
Portlandish , State of Flux
Send a message via AIM to Rivka
Lightbulb A/C in other locations than roof mount? Options, brands, tips...

Ok, i want to get rid of my roof mounted A/C, i don't like the look (inside or out) don't like the height it gives the trailer and in general i think it can be better tucked away were it is protected and easy to work with.

I know that some more vintage trails than me do this as they are putting one in a trailer that never had one.

So I would like to chat about options, brands, locations, issues, solutions and anything else that folks need to do this.
Hopefully this be a resource for the next aluminut that wants to do this.
Rivka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:07 PM   #2

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
Brands of A/C that mount elsewhere in your Airstream

If you know of a brand that is made to mount in a cabinet or elsewhere in a tailer, please post and include a link, i will compile them here in this link for folks
Old 06-09-2008, 12:09 PM   #3

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
Ingenious Locations To Mount a A/C

where did you mount yours?
What did not work and why?

Let us know and I will compile them here for others to learn from
Old 06-09-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
The A/C in our Base Camp is mounted at the front of the trailer at floor level. It's a regular 5000 BTU window unit. The performance is less than stellar due to the mounting location (cold air doesn't rise). I wonder what A/S was thinking...

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:23 PM   #5

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
ok, my situation, i have a '71 caravel that is already way tall, (high axle configuration, love it)
i also have a original armstrong that has finally given out (compressor blown i have been told)
I am also doing a full remodel and would like to rethink everything. and the more that i can make this tailer look like a perfect one of a kind and not a current trailer, the better in my book, i like to be me.

So the A/C unit, i am removing the stock bathroom and also installing a large rear hatch door, similar to other trailer of my size had, (those that had a rear side bed) but i did not. So my current thinking for location is to build a bench or counter in the very rear center of the trailer under that rear window. That provides me with a cabinet accessible from the outside thru the new door., this was originally going to be for general storage, but now I'm thinking this is the perfect spot to put a cabinet A/C unit so that you could open the door when running it and it would have plenty of air and even still have shade! The cool air could then be pipped up thru the full height cabinets on either side of the trailer so that ht vents could come out nearer to the ceiling and also more mid trailer.

so thoughts anyone?
Old 06-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #6

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
Bob, is there any chances for you to pipe the cold air up? i am thinking that this is a crucial part of this project. your experiences seem to confirm this.

Also is the unit inside or outside? is it is a normal window unit and is mostly inside, how is it getting enough circulation?
Old 06-09-2008, 12:29 PM   #7

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
anyone have any experience with these A/C units?

Dometic Truck Products
Old 06-09-2008, 12:39 PM   #8
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
check out this thread

Although it was a lot of work, this fellow did a great job on his new Air for his Argosy.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ase-18448.html
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeysor View Post
Although it was a lot of work, this fellow did a great job on his new Air for his Argosy.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ase-18448.html
Thanks for the link, Chris,

I was fruitlessly looking through boatdoc’s posts. Another truly outstanding Argosy restoration. The AC photos start on page 8 of SmoklessJoe’s thread.

I also saw a small ’50s Airstream at the Branson fall rally that had a regular home window unit install at the rear under the bed. They said that they used fans to move the air around. It really wasn’t AC weather, but they said that it worked pretty well.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
a/c on slideout

Rivka-

GSM Vehicles did a great job on a Caravel that was documented on theVap.
See Episode 22 - Complete - The Vintage Airstream Podcast for a picture -- it is the 6th one down.

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I know that Uwe did this on his (original) '63 For Me Thread. That thread is 60+ pages and I don't recall precisely where he discusses the installation (it comes up several times), but the thread is so good it's worth going through to find the various references.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ler-11687.html

Good luck!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I think you could do a split unit like Sergei did. The compressor can be mounted on the exterior and the small interior housing tucked away discretely up at ceiling level. There are other manufacturers as well, so you're not bound to LG.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Household AC in front window:

Hi Rivka:

Just happened to listen to you last night on the VAP's next-to-last episode, so have your voice in my ears as I read your post.

Being in high and dry Colorado I rarely need AC, so I rigged up a temporary solution for visits to muggier states. My trailer is a 1964 19' Globe Trotter with a custom front dinette. I use the AC only when parked for a few days, so it disassembles for transport and is stored in my locked truck bed when not in use.

I bought a bottom of the line manual knob (thus avoiding phantom loads from an electronic control board) 5,800 BTU household window air conditioner at my favorite big box store. Since I have a spare tire just ahead of my front window, I decided to mount the AC in the front window. I rigged up a small slightly sloping away front ledge (pine board) for the AC to sit on inside the window (after first removing the screen). I filled in the front window all around the AC with painted boards that squeezed in place and are held there by friction, good enough for stationary use. I plug the AC into a nearby wall outlet. The AC is out of the way, above the front "A" frame where I'm not going to walk into it.

It works great in that location. It is high off the floor and directs the cold air lengthwise down the open center aisle of the trailer, cooling the whole trailer. There is a cool breeze when sitting at the dinette, when sleeping on the street side gaucho, or when occupying the non-composting throne at the very rear.

If you will be using your AC often, put it on sliders so it rides inside the front or rear end window when traveling and can be pushed out when stationary, whether or not in use, revealing the dinette, couch or bathroom sink top it rests above when in inside travel mode.

There is a write up on and photos of my installation in the Summer 2006 back issue of Airstream Life magazine. My design can be improved upon, and one friend locally did just that. Good luck with solving your cool problem.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:26 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
You can do something other than a rooftop if you want to.

Rivka:

Like you, I did not want to spoil the iconic shape of my Airstream Argosy with a top-heavy rooftop. I also shared other of your concerns, like the noise and quality of air supply.

As others have pointed out, I’ve installed a split air system in my trailer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	inside.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	62092

The inside portion is 5” deep and 22” square. It weighs only 15 pounds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	out.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	62093

The compressor sits outside on the tongue. The total weight of the inside and outside parts is the same as a regular RV rooftop.

(So as not to confuse you, the aluminum pieces mounted on and around the black compressor are parts of the diesel heating system. I do not use propane in the trailer.)

You can conduct a normal conversation in front of the compressor. It is so quiet that you sometimes have to look to see if the fan blades are moving.

The inside unit is also very quiet and very sophisticated. You can choose from 4 or 5 types of operation, including one mode that imitates an ocean breeze, all from a hand-held remote.

About window type air conditioners: keep in mind that heat rises and cool air falls. No amount of ducting or fancy footwork is liable to change that basic fact.

The sleeper cab systems you are asking about will probably be more expensive than the residential/commercial type I’m using because of sales volume. There are millions of household split units in service now.

The truck type is also a lot bigger in size.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:17 PM   #15

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
sergi, i just finished reading almost all of your 35+ page thread, really amazing work. I am going all clean & modern too, really great work!
that unit you use looks huge! is it just the pictures or is that the case? remember that this is going on a ,18ft Caravel and weight is one of my highest concerns. The link in your thread for the a/c unit is broken, do you have a current one?

Fred, ringing in your ears, i hope that is a good thing?

John, yeah the VAP story on what Colin did is what gave me the idea in the first place.

Im wondering if just sitting a house ac unit in the rear compartment might give it enough airflow when open?

what are the big differences between a rv unit and a home unit?
Old 06-09-2008, 04:47 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Bozeman , Montana
Been there done that

Had an idea like yours and installed a little one a few years ago. Andy was right. It's a little too small and the cold air blows on the floor. It works but not ideal. Here's a link to a discussion we had.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ues-12059.html
Old 06-09-2008, 04:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
I'm installing central air in my 1955 Safari

I'm going to installing central air in my 1955 Safari, no roof top air here...........toastie
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ent-38289.html
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivka View Post
Bob, is there any chances for you to pipe the cold air up? i am thinking that this is a crucial part of this project. your experiences seem to confirm this.

Also is the unit inside or outside? is it is a normal window unit and is mostly inside, how is it getting enough circulation?
It's a "normal" window unit, mounted on the trailer tongue under the propane tank the front of the A/C unit is inside the trailer, under the open faced kitchen cabinets. A small fan (non-A/S supplied) helps move the cool air around (a little), but it still isn't ideal.

The A/C in in an aluminum enclosure under the horizontal 20lbs propane tank. When we were at J/C last August getting some (unrelated) work done on the trailer, they spent a LOT of time applying new sealant to the propane compartment. My guess is that they realized that if there was a leak in the LP system, that gas could find it's way to the A/C unit. One spark and KA-BOOM!

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

Old 06-09-2008, 06:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
<snip>Im wondering if just sitting a house ac unit in the rear compartment might give it enough airflow when open?
You might get enough airflow, but...

Quote:
what are the big differences between a rv unit and a home unit?
RV units are designed to take life on the road - i.e. vibration and being bounced around. If you don't like the height of the stock A/C unit, look at the Duo-Therm Penguin low profile unit.

TAC - NJ-007

Old 06-09-2008, 06:44 PM   #20

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
putting something on my roof, whatever the heigh is not current on my short list, i know about the penguin, it still musses up the lines imho

yeah i figured about the ability to take vibration thing was the biggie, is there any other difference?

Tags
air conditioning, remodel