Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Induction Cooktop

In my never ending quest for making SilverLeaf cutting edge, I have bought a portable induction cooktop. Upside is it is extremely fast and generates zero heat. The heat comes from the pan and what you are cooking. Downside is it'll pull 1800 Watts, so when I use it this'll max out my already puny (IMHO) electrical system. Oh, I had to buy new cookware. If a magnet won't stick to the bottom of your pot, induction won't work. I was so impressed with the performance of this little panel (looks like a square hot plate, and cost under $150), that I just replaced my home cooktop with a new JennAir induction unit. Pricey, more than $2,000, plus new cookware. Costco has a great set of stainless steel with iron cores. I love induction....incredibly fast, and absolutely precise temperature. When you change cooking temp it happens INSTANTLY. No carryover heat like gas or radiant. Stay tuned for updates!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Barry, you and Silverleaf could be a 1 man seminar at Alumalina this March. About all you are missing is one of those self parking devices like some of the new cars have. Just pull up beside the campsite, hit a button, bam, it backs in for you.

Hmmm......, are you already secretly working on one??

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
I've had one in my Airstream for 7 years now! best thing....it does not heat up the trailer. was dry camping once and had to use the gas, felt like a bonfire!, there is a two burner available from Berhoff, but they both share the 1800 watts...but just having one burner, with the convection microwave seems to take care of 90% of cooking needs.....
oh, and I got a Kenmore Elite 30in Induction cooktop for the house at Sears outlet for 700!!
DFDureiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Great to hear that someone else is thinking along the same lines for efficiency and heat reduction. The home unit has a setting for "melting" ... and using it was the first time I have ever melted two squares of unsweetened chocolate perfectly! Will do a tour at Alumalina in March, John!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
Old 01-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Looks like a nifty new toy, Barry.

We bought a new cooktop, too......a butane burner for cooking outside.

See you in March.

maggie
Old 01-05-2014, 03:25 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
16 Amp stove on 14 GA wire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
In my never ending quest for making SilverLeaf cutting edge, I have bought a portable induction cooktop. Upside is it is extremely fast and generates zero heat. The heat comes from the pan and what you are cooking. Downside is it'll pull 1800 Watts, so when I use it this'll max out my already puny (IMHO) electrical system. Oh, I had to buy new cookware. If a magnet won't stick to the bottom of your pot, induction won't work. I was so impressed with the performance of this little panel (looks like a square hot plate, and cost under $150), that I just replaced my home cooktop with a new JennAir induction unit. Pricey, more than $2,000, plus new cookware. Costco has a great set of stainless steel with iron cores. I love induction....incredibly fast, and absolutely precise temperature. When you change cooking temp it happens INSTANTLY. No carryover heat like gas or radiant. Stay tuned for updates!
1800 watss @ 110V AC = 16+ amps

I have never see anything more than 14/3 wiring in an Airstream which is not capable of handling a 16 amp load safely.

So, you have rewired your trailer with 12/3 wire to support the added load that this unit will put on the electrical wire. That's good because if you have not, you will be melting wires when you have the stove operating at full capacity and that will, in all probability, result in a very nice fire.

IF on the other hand, you have not rewired the trailer to accommodate the load that this cook top will put on the electrical wiring you will always be in the trailer so that you can ensure that no one will make the mistake of operating the stove at its full capability so that they will not inadvertently put themselves and anyone in the immediate vicinity of your unit in what could well be a situation that results in someone being very badly injured, or worse, death.

Jim, who wonders why you would not mention an upgrade to your electrical system if you are aware of this....

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Gosh, I've seen multiple RVers mention using portable induction cooktops. Seems to be a lack of totally catastrophic fires that wipe out everyone in the trailer and the adjacent cute duck sanctuary/houseful of nuns.

I'm also a fan of induction, having had it at home for six years now. I don't use one in the trailer because we only have electric 1 out of 10 times we camp.

Tom
Old 01-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
We use ours on the outside outlet. No problem yet. Should I be concerned about the trailer wiring?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:53 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
My breakers are 20 amp and at least some (if not all) of the outlets are wired with 12 gauge wire. So my guess is a newer trailer is ok.
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:33 PM   #10

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I'd point out that it's rare to see voltage as low as 110v in the US. I hear that it happens at some campgrounds especially in the summer when everyone is running their AC, and I guess it could also be a problem in winter when everyone it running their heat pumps on "free" electricity to save propane. If memory serves, the lowest voltage I've seen, measured at the outlet in the galley with a Fluke, is about 116v with the AC running, which would represent about 15.5 amps draw for the induction cooktop running full tilt. Of course, that voltage was higher before I turned my AC on, and I couldn't run both on my 30A service (or at least I wouldn't try...)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:36 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2000 28' Excella
1994 31' Legacy 30
Hillsboro , Texas
Induction hobs

I have been using a Berghoff induction hob in my trailer for about 7 years and I have never seen it draw more than 10 amps (1600 watt rating on the label). I suspect that the makers label for the absolute worst case including manufacturing tolerance. At any rate the circuit barker should trip long before and wires get hot enough to start a fire. If you are worried about it get a KIll-o-watt meter (Camping World sells them) and check what your actual power usage is. Induction is the most energy efficient way to cook in most cases. And so it is very popular in countries where energy is expensive.
tony6373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
We have a Nu-Wave Induction cooktop and love it! I usually use it outside plugged into an extension cord that is directly plugged into the electric post at the campground. I have used it inside too without problem, but no other electric items in use at the same time. I bought a set of stackable cook pans that have removable handles which can double as storage containers in the fridge. I also use my cast iron skillet on it and place a paper towel under the pan to prevent the iron skillet from marring the cooktop. It is my favorite kitchen tool!
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
We are working on 1961 Overlander that will the electrical upgrade to 50amp amd 12/2 w/grnd wiring. Why? Because my wife wants the in duction cooktop AND air conditioning. Can you believe it? The nerve of that woman.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:26 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kswelsh View Post
We have a Nu-Wave Induction cooktop and love it! I usually use it outside plugged into an extension cord that is directly plugged into the electric post at the campground. I have used it inside too without problem, but no other electric items in use at the same time. I bought a set of stackable cook pans that have removable handles which can double as storage containers in the fridge. I also use my cast iron skillet on it and place a paper towel under the pan to prevent the iron skillet from marring the cooktop. It is my favorite kitchen tool!
I also have the Nu-Wave(s) and they are tougher than I realized. I got the first two in February - gave one away, and the second one went through my wreck this summer. It made funny noises after the wreck, so I ordered another set. After they came in, I took the back off of the first one and found a loose piece of plastic that had gotten into the fan somehow. I removed the jammed piece and now the original works fine again. So I have spares. If I'm ever at a pot luck using one or more of these, I'll make sure to use a very heavy duty extension cord directly from the pole though I've had no problems using mine indoors. I can't believe these draw 1800 amps if they're not going full blast. These are brilliant for keeping fondue, chocolate, or queso just warm.

I did pop a breaker when I had the heat pump and the induction burner working, then without thinking tried to use the microwave. It popped on the inside... and happened within a second or two of starting the microwave. The NuWave wire wasn't warm, nor was the outlet.

I'll be watching this thread though. I surely don't want to burn up the new rig.

Paula
Old 01-06-2014, 06:51 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
Speaking of cooking, I was thinking of getting a halftime 4x convection microwave, 15 A, being 15 A apparently it uses convection and microwave at the same time unlike normal convection ovens. Therefore it's much faster Strangely they're only available at Walmart.com and smart home.com
Has anyone had experience with this oven??
DFDureiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:06 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDureiko View Post
Speaking of cooking, I was thinking of getting a halftime 4x convection microwave, 15 A, being 15 A apparently it uses convection and microwave at the same time unlike normal convection ovens. Therefore it's much faster Strangely they're only available at Walmart.com and smart home.com
Has anyone had experience with this oven??
I have the (much maligned) Sharp Convection Microwave. It combines the convection roasting with microwave, and also has broiler elements so it does a good job of broiling. The controls are not very intuitive, so I refer to the manual often. But it works very well, if you follow the instructions.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #17
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
I sold the Sharp/Convection last summer that I'd ordered as an "option" when I ordered my trailer. You can find this tale of woe elsewhere. I found that unit extremely user unfriendly. Ended up buying a "scratch and dent" Amana oven at the Airstream garage sale at Alumapalooza, and lo and behold, I had enough room UNDER the oven for a Cuisinart convection/microwave (see photo). Not the best placement...but I have a propane stovetop, gas oven, convection/microwave AND the new induction. I think all the bases are covered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0731.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	203126  
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
Old 01-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #18
StreamNmemees

1970 27' Overlander
1961 24' Tradewind
Lumberton , North Carolina
I have 3 of the induction cook
tops. Got them for the camper and have been using them since we started camping. I moved one into the house because I love cooking on them. I even use my cast iron skillet on it.
StreamNmemee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
Not the best placement...but I have a propane stovetop, gas oven, convection/microwave AND the new induction. I think all the bases are covered.
Gosh! Wondering how many outdoor grills you have too!

Tom
Old 01-08-2014, 08:27 PM   #20
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Wel-l-l-l I have two. After I ordered my trailer I bought this gorgeous Holland stainless steel grill, Tom. Operates using one of the propane gas cylinders. Problem: it is VERY HEAVY and takes up a lot of space. Then I bought one of these (almost) miniature Coleman jobs -- at CW …. it had a few chips off the porcelain cover, and I paid around $30 for it. You can buy different grills for it, including a griddle. So, this thing easily slides in the A/S trunk and I can wash the drip pan and grill in my lobster sink. So, guess what. The cheapie does a terrific steak, cleans in a snap and is large enough to cook for two. The Holland is at home and I use it if I don't feel like firing up the big one. It all works. I confess that I saw this SOB 5th wheel job where this big panel opens (outside), and the guy has a complete KITCHEN (with sink)….oh, and he was watching a football game as well. Talk about overkill!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21