Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2020, 11:50 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Foothill Ranch , California
Dometic Fridge - Fails at campground/Fixed at home

We have a 7.0 cu ft Dometic in our new-to-us 27FB.

In preparation for our 1st trip, the dealer plugged the coach in the day before and turned on the fridge. The next day, when we picked it up, the fridge was working properly.

The camp ground was only 1.5 hours away. When we got there, the fridge had cooled considerable, and it was flashing the "LP" indicator. I got out to find the dealer had shut down both LP tanks ~ easy fix, right? After turning them on, purging the lines (which took WAY longer than I would have ever believed, but finally got stove burners on), we went to turn on the fridge. It would cycle on for a second, display "EO" and shut off. (Looking it up, this is the code for "no power to mother board")

We did the following:
From the outside, we checked the fuse (it was good), unplugged and re-plugged in the fridge.
Checked all the circuit breakers and fuses in the inside panel.
Tested the GFI (tripped it and re-set it)
Confirmed the coach was level.
Gave it time (tested it on Fri, Sat and Sun before leaving - still same code

Here's the funny part. We drove home, plugged in to 50 amp service...and suddenly it was working fine! Not only are we totally confused by this, but obviously don't know if it's something we need to get repaired, or some critical step we missed. We certainly don't want this to happen on any future trip!

Any ideas/suggestions???
Mark of SJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:46 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Four Oaks , North Carolina
Hey mark we just had the same problem we have a. 2017 globetrotter. Well sort of the same problem our fridge works on electrical And battery but not gas. Have bled the lines lit the stove, furnace and hot water heater but nothing for the fridge. Did you get yours working on propane? If so how; or Was it just magic as it appears to happen quite often in airstreams.
CAJTRAVELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Could you have run out of propane? If it took a long time to bleed the lines pressure might have been low. All appliances should have a cutoff valve so that a problem with a stove pr water heater would not prevent you from using the furnace. Check the cutoff valve on the fridge. Couldn't hurt.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:47 AM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
What did you have for hookups at the campground? Did you have 12+ volts DC?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:41 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Plenty of propane and shut off valve
Is open

We had 50 amp service at campgrounds.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:19 AM   #6
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Mark, I’m not sure why your fridge would not work at the CG. I assume on elec. I take it it wouldn’t work on propane either?

CAJTravels, did you have an alarm flashing on the setting bar for your fridge on propane. When we first tried our dometic fridge in our GT, it didn’t convert to propane on the first try. It went into alarm mode. I had to press and hold the alarm button to clear it, then tried propane again, and it worked fine.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:43 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Yes we had an alarm. I didn’t push and hold the alarm to clear it. I will try that. Thanks.