Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1969 - 1973 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
raynham , Massachusetts
Ebay Safari what do you think?

1972 Airstream Safari Travel Trailer 22ft. in RVs & Campers | eBay Motors

I currently have a gutted '70 with ZERO ooph to finish it (lower back issues, and a not so handy hubby), needs a subfloor. Wanting one for the season, what do you think the worth of this is? It's 1.5 hrs away from me, so close.

Thanks!
deelind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I'm skeptical of eBay just because I think the bidding on non-commodity items usually goes above the value, but that has nothing to do with Airstreams specifically.

The description has some good stuff, rear subfloor removed/replaced (check to see if this was done properly and it's reattached to the C-channel and not just the frame), Iota converter, new seals on the windows.

There's no mention of a new axle, and a 43-year-old rubber torsion axle is ready for replacement. That shouldn't be a deal-killer but it should figure into what you think it's worth. The current axle would most likely be fine for a season or two, at the expense of a few interior rivets.

It's close, why don't you see if you can go look at it before Saturday? If by the time you're supposed to leave to inspect it, the price has gone up above what you'd bid, you can call and cancel. If it's still in reasonable territory, you'll know what you're getting for your bid.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
raynham , Massachusetts
Thanks for your input and well pointed questions to ask! Currently I'm under a deadline with a project, otherwise I'd love to take a ride out there. There's not much for sale in the Boston area I'm afraid, unless I'm missing something.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Arlington Hts , Illinois
It appears to be a good value at the current bid price of $4,550. We just paid $3,500 for a '71 that currently looks worse, and will end up costing a lot more after planned upgrades, some of which yours may not need.
MrJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
raynham , Massachusetts
Seller hasn't gotten back to me in regards to questions or to make arrangements to see it...NG. Also, bit concerned about it not having a shower and putting one back into it might be a bit complicated. Very much appreciate all the input so far, thank you.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
raynham , Massachusetts
Well, heard back, but seller didn't address my request to see it... just outbid, so a fleeting AS moment. Thx again!
Old 06-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by deelind View Post
Well, heard back, but seller didn't address my request to see it... just outbid, so a fleeting AS moment. Thx again!
If the seller doesn't want to let you inspect it before purchase, then smile, walk away and be glad you dodged a bullet. There's no valid reason to reject a genuine buyer's request to inspect a trailer.

This next part is just an aesthetic opinion, but when you're looking at vintage trailers that have the vinyl-coated interior skins, give preference to those that have not been painted over. It would be tough to get back to that original finish, and I know from experience that the original vinyl coating is tougher than paint. It's also a nice neutral light color (when clean).

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:18 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Arlington Hts , Illinois
I just finished the book "Long, Long Honeymoon" by the folks at LongLongHoneymoon.com | Videos, tips & information for travelers.
One of their suggestions was to look for an Airstream someone bought and didn't end up using, for about half the original price. That apparently happens fairly often, as folks either age, or get busier elsewhere, or get in financial difficulties, or discover trailoring just isn't for them. We considered one such 30 footer we found via Craigslist in Lincoln, IL, but we didn't want one that looked new. In the RV section of Craigslist Chicago I used the search term Airstream and checked the box for photos, and set my price range, and found lots of possibilities.

If we decide that cleaning up our old one doesn't result in something we can enjoy, but we do decide we like the AS lifestyle, I'll look for one like longlonghoneymoon suggested next. That might also apply in your case, since you already have a "project" AS, but want to get going now rather than in a year or two.

Another option is to just take your project AS to someone who can finish it for you now for a fee. That way you get exactly what you want, before you could complete the work yourself.
MrJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:51 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1964 22' Safari
Sacramento , California
It's too bad the guy won't let you look at it. That's extremely suspicious. I don't think I'd trust him either. He either doesn't realize how bad it looks to not let people look at it and he's going to get a bunch less money for it, or more likely, it's rotten to the core and he doesn't want to waste his time showing it to people when he knows the minute they nearly fall through the floor they're not going to pay his price. Otherwise, it looks like a real nice Airstream.
64Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote