Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2008, 12:56 PM   #21
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Jason, we might end up crashing into each other and taking out a few light poles. How do we explain that to our insurance companies? If we charge admission, we might make a lot—demolition derbies always attract a lot of customers. At least your wife could treat our injuries.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:11 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Yeah to office is just up the road... I could bring the tractor along to take out the lamp post first... Better yet we could race..... with fuel stop at the safeway next door...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
We might even attract a crowd... Two Airstreams sliding around the lot.....
Post that on U Tube. I think you know what music to use.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Sugar Land , Texas
Looking for snow chains for the Airstream that are not too bulky. I have three axles, six tires. How many chains do I need and which wheels should they go on. Trying to avoid snow but I need to be prepared if the signs go up for mandatory snow chains.
MarkMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1963 View Post
Well up here in the big old CAN that is what we use the 4X4 for.

Amen to that, got lots of snow around Pink Mountain (look that up on your map!) coming home this spring with 9000 lb in tow, not the EB. Put in 4wd and left it there.

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:03 AM   #26
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I'd forgotten this 4 year old thread I started.

We ran into snow on I-70 the next year. We had outrun the snow in the mountains during a spring storm. We made it east of Denver, past Limon, whre it was not supposed to snow until later the next day. The next morning we had 2+ inches and I figured it was wet snow, only around 30 or 32, and the snow would be worn off the interstate. We knew the storm would last for a while get worse in Kansas if we waited, so we left sure that I-70 would have all the snow melted.

It wasn't. The road was snow covered with wet, slippery snow. Sometimes the left lane was better, sometimes the right. Traffic kept weaving from lane to lane to avoid the worst parts—and the snow was only a couple of inches. There was a wicked crosswind from the north and from time to time we had to pass some very slow truck. We saw big trucks pulled over because they couldn't make a small rise.

I didn't disconnect the bars nor did I turn down the brake controller. I did put the truck in 4WD. There was no sway, no skidding, no sliding. I did what I always do in snow—no sudden changes of any kind, slower on curves or, in this case, when changing lanes too and moving with traffic which was going 30 to 40 mph.

After about 20 miles the snow turned to sleet and a few bare spots appeared, more and more as we drove east. After another 20 miles, it was all rain. It rained for 2 day across Kansas and Mo. Heavy, blinding rain. Traffic was fast and so were we. Nothing happened to us, but the driving was intense.

I only learned to do what I am used to doing and things worked out fine. It snowed in Ontario, but the roads were clear by the time we got there after some work was done in JC.

I still haven't had to test the roads near out house in snow, but have been away and called or e-mailed neighbors to find out whether the roads are clear.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Sugar Land , Texas
Thanks, Gene.

That's good advice. Will also try to watch the forecast and time our crossing accordingly.

Mark
MarkMc is offline   Reply With Quote