Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2007, 09:47 PM   #1
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Towing with too small of a tow vehicle

I just saw this auction on eBay. Good warning for those of you thinking about long trailers and light/short SUVs.
eBay Motors: Crashed Airstream 27' Overlander for parts or resto? (item 220151481377 end time Sep-23-07 06:01:49 PDT)
Quote:
I was trucking along I-88 outside Binghamton when a gust of wind showed me that my little truck was not strong enough to pull a 27' trailer. We went into a sway, and I couldn't pull out. We flipped over the side of the highway, totaling my truck and the trailer. I'm thinking that someone somewhere might want the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0965_1.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	45741   Click image for larger version

Name:	f259_1.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	45742  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ef2a_1.JPG
Views:	749
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	45743   Click image for larger version

Name:	f0ca_1.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	45744  

Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:02 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Looks like that was a Nissan Exterra. Barely stable by itself, towing a 6000lb Overlander is definitely way over it's capability. Good thing no innocent bystanders seem to have gotten hurt.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Also, and please excuse me for saying this good friends, I read in these forums of some traveling in excess of 65mph. Even with TV's with long wheel bases and mucho power can be driven from the road by a sudden gust, someone cutting you off, or tire failure to mention a few. Around the campfire I want to hear from you of your travels...not about you.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
What if You Knew....

There's been at least 3 threads that have addressed this accident. Lots of talk about the proper tow vehicle, wheelbase, sway control, speed, etc..

This guy was towing a 4570# A/S with a 4300# Nissan that is rated for 5000# maximum. Granted, not a good idea...

The kicker is - he had previously broken one of the equalizer bars and at the time of the accident was towing with ONE bar.....

Not much else matters with that in mind....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:53 AM   #5
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
The kicker is - he had previously broken one of the equalizer bars and at the time of the accident was towing with ONE bar.....
I had missed that, can you direct to where that is stated?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Curiosity got the best of me and I sent him an email. Here is his response.

Subject:Re: Question for item #220151481377 - Crashed Airstream 27' Overlander for parts or resto?

One of the bars has snapped when I was parking a few days before, so I had only one bar at the time. It wasn't a good idea. It also wasn't a good idea to pull a 6000 pound trailer with a 4500 pound truck.
- phlduncanResponses will not include your email address.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:48 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
I am being redundant but when incidents happen like this it needs repeating.

This to consider when you tow in order of IMPORTANCE.

1. Chassis strength is number one in My book. This means strong frame, Long wheel base increases stability but you have to have the frame first. I will include tires, springs and shocks with chassis. They have to be enough for the job at hand. The 80% rule is a good one. When you use that rule you will find that everyone using an SUV to pull anything 25' or over with an SUV is overloaded. ADD it up..trailer, truck, cargo in trailer, cargo in SUV/truck, People, pets, tools etc.

2: Brakes I will list alone. By brakes I mean not only enough (bigger brakes usually come with the stronger built chassis) to do the job but proper integration with the tow vehicle. (such as Fords integrated brake system that seems to be as good as it gets. I am not pushing Ford here just stating what I read about their brakes. Make sure your brake bias is set proper. Traveling down an interstate at speed is not time find out if you're break bias is set up proper for a 70 mph panic stop when that Deer runs out in front of you.

3. Power...is usually the first thing people think about...but is the least Important when it comes to trailering. If you get the first two items right the power you need will be easy to decide. Don't let a 375 hp engine in a short wheel base SUV get you all excited thinking you can pull the longest hills at 80 mpg when the chassis is too small from the job. What will happen with a overwhelmed chassis will only multiply itself with all that power. Power is NOT an asset if the chassis is not enough. Power is important only if the rest of the vehicle is correct for the job.

I know most of you know these things. But I see accidents happen all the time. I saw an Airstream (about a 25 footer) nose first in the woods along Interstate 5 just south of Olympia, Washington a while back and was wondering what had happened. All I could see was the trailer and Chevy Envoy wrecked. It was a one vehicle incident with a Deer. They tried to stop and the trailer over powered the tow vehicle according to witnesses. Jacknifing into the woods. NOT enough truck for the job.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:15 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Atlanta , Georgia
skeptical

Good afternoon,

I am skeptical of this Ebay advertisement. I live close enough to Birmingham to take a look at the camper, so I emailed him about its location. He replied that it was a 2 man towing operation and therefore I could not view the trailer, but I should bid because the tires are worth more than the opening bid amount.

Maybe everything is on the up and up - - but when people expect blind bidding I get "bid cautious".

SilverComet
silvercomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:56 PM   #9
Full-timer

1971 27' Overlander
Pumpkintown , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercomet
Good afternoon,

I am skeptical of this Ebay advertisement. I live close enough to Birmingham to take a look at the camper, so I emailed him about its location. He replied that it was a 2 man towing operation and therefore I could not view the trailer, but I should bid because the tires are worth more than the opening bid amount.

Maybe everything is on the up and up - - but when people expect blind bidding I get "bid cautious".

SilverComet
Thanks tor the tip, because I think I may bid on it.

}}}}

It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
Foureagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Dford79 ,you have are right on the money with your post there .all manafacturers lately have been touting incredible towing numbers
like as if the engine power is all there is ,I posted on another thread
somthing along the lines you have here on this accident .Im not a fan of any small wheelbase SUV ,and this is reason number 1 .the spring bar thing is
interesting ,why would you not just go buy another one right away?
Well ,a tragedy ,not gonna be the last Im afraid .

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Looks like that was a Nissan Exterra. Barely stable by itself, towing a 6000lb Overlander is definitely way over it's capability. Good thing no innocent bystanders seem to have gotten hurt.
thank goodness no one was hurt.

next however,

i'm sure were going to hear, my insurance company is *crewing me... but it couldn't possibly be my fault... overloaded, incorrect TV, broken hitch, and please pass the schiltz...

k.
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:05 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
overloaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFord79

1. Chassis strength is number one in My book. This means strong frame, Long wheel base increases stability but you have to have the frame first. I will include tires, springs and shocks with chassis. They have to be enough for the job at hand. The 80% rule is a good one. When you use that rule you will find that everyone using an SUV to pull anything 25' or over with an SUV is overloaded. ADD it up..trailer, truck, cargo in trailer, cargo in SUV/truck, People, pets, tools etc.
I pull a 31ft 7200lb sov with a 2500Burb (SUV) rated to tow 10,500lbs.
Are you saying I am overloaded? Just curious about your thoughts
Thanks
Wayne
wayne.yl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:06 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
virginia beach , Virginia
wayne, you are good to go with your vehicle. The Burb 2500 is a good tow vehicle.
These newer and smaller suv's like the trail blazer or xterra are what people are mentioning as not a good towing vehicle.
shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:17 PM   #14
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
How come a Nissan is in one picture and a Chev is in another? And is the burb rated to tow 10,500 or is the gross combined 10,500?

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:45 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
virginia beach , Virginia
yeah I saw that alos. Maybe they rolled the airstream over and disconnected and had someone else pull the sirstream out??
I know the Burb 2500 is a heavy duty truck unlike the new Tahoe's and 1500's
I am no checvy expert but belive the 250 series has larger brakes, motor and reinforced frame specifically for towing
shantz is offline   Reply With Quote