Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2007, 05:01 PM   #1
Oxblood

2003 34' Classic
Austin , Texas
Pacific NW, Glacier Nat'l, Crater Lake & flyfishing/birding

Hello all,
In early July 2007, I'm attending a woodturner's convention in Portland, OR. Then, we'd like to tour the Oregon coast from north to south and head to Crater Lake. Stop at some nice State Parks. Also, we'd like to fly fish somewhere around the Bend/Sisters area. Then, maybe to Olympia Nat'l Park and Glacier Nat'l Park. We'll be out of Austin, TX for 6 weeks or so. Any suggestions for great parks and vistas and fishing guides would be greatly appreciated!!

Thx,

Dennis and Debbie
oxblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Bend has several lakes and streams where fly fishing only is allowed. Down south, where the Rogue river hits the Pacific there is a great, although private, campground at Gold Beach. Its about 5 miles off I5. Look it up in the Directory. Great fishing on the Rogue right at the campground.
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:46 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
Camp Sherman/Metolius River near Sisters.... don't miss it.... have fun.... nuf said.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Burien , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrownrr
Camp Sherman/Metolius River near Sisters.... don't miss it.... have fun.... nuf said.
Ditto on the Metolius.
SRoffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:02 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
One Leg of the Journey...

Hi Dennis & Debbie,

From Portland head west along the Columbia River to Astoria, beautiful. From Astoria head south on Hwy 101 to Coos Bay , there are too many great campgrounds and things to see to list here. You could spend a month just cruising the Oregon coast.

From Charleston ( south of Coos Bay ) head inland on Hwy 42 (east) to Roseburg ( on Interstate 5 ) to Hwy 138 along the Umpqua River up to Diamond Lake and then on to Crater Lake N.P. . Plenty of scenery and places to camp and fish. Then head down the east slope of the Cascades to Hwy 97 and north towards Bend.

Some of the BEST camping and scenery I have ever experienced.

Have a great trip.

1964 17' Bambi II
2005 Dodge 2500 PowerWagon -5.7 Hemi
WBCCI #4207
AIR #11485

"you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" ~bob dylan
S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:05 PM   #6
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Dennis and Debbie -
I live near Portland. You have selected some excellent places to visit, and it sounds like you will have plenty of time to do so. Here are a few recommendations:

Oregon has exceptionally nice State Park campgrounds. On the coast, Ft. Stevens is a huge park at the junction of the Columbia River and the Pacific. There is a lot of Lewis and Clark history in the area. I have also stayed in Beverly Beach State Park near Newport. Both have access to miles of beach. North of Bend is Cove Palisades State Park, on the Crooked River. I've not stayed there but friends recommend it highly.

Most of the fishing for trout on the Deschutes is from Warm Springs to the confluence with the Columbia (all north of Bend). Summer steelhead fishing begins in late July, and at that time will be exclusively up near the Columbia. A lot of access is near the town of Maupin. John Smeraglio has a nice flyshop there (New Page 1) and Mark Bachman & staff guide a lot on the Deschutes, though his shop is located in Welches (Fly Fishing USA). Much of the fishing close to Bend is on high mountain lakes on Century Drive south of town, along the Upper Deschutes River, Metolius River, and Fall River. There are a number of flyshops in Bend, but I don't know them personally.

I fish a lot for winter steelhead on the Olympic Peninsula, and take my trailer there in Jan-March. I usually stay at Minnie Pedersen CG along the Hoh River, just outside the Olympic National Park. It is primitive (outhouse and picnic table) camping with no water or electricity on site. The trees are old growth, 200+ feet tall - a spectacular location.

Hope this will give you a start. Feel free to PM me if you need any other info -

Mark

PS - I also own two labs.
Mark Wiltrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:09 PM   #7
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Oops!

Somehow my link to John Smeraglio's shop got translated automatically to "New Page 1." The URL is actually flyfishingdeschutes.com.
Mark
Old 04-25-2007, 06:13 PM   #8
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Oops a second time!

The link to Mark Bachman's flyshop has also been incorrectly translated somehow. It is flyfishusa.com.
Mark
Old 04-25-2007, 06:26 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
2004 25' International CCD
Bend , Oregon
Hi,

I live in Bend and have traveled all over the West. Your trip sounds awesome.

Here is a link to a good summary of Fly Fishing spots - Bend Living: Fly Fishing - Central Oregon Fly Fishing the shops on the left have access to good guides. On the list at #1 is Hosmer, highly recommend. You need a canoe or float tube or something that floats. I have a canoe you can borrow if you want (heavy fiberglass, but it floats). Also the Metolius near Sisters is very unique. Hosmer has camping with no hookups. There are numerous camp sites in the high lakes above Bend and Sisters. Most have no hook ups but are pretty nice. Sparks lake is one of my favorites, see post 102 in the March Photo contest for a pic of Sparks. There is a fairly nice state park a few miles north of Bend, Tumalo State Park, pretty sure they have hookups.

Quick list of good things to see in Oregon -
  • The entire coast, especially Florence to Seaside
  • Crater Lake and Diamond lake just to the north, nice camping on the lake
  • Williams River nice fly fishing away from the crowds, east of Crater Lake
  • Newberry Crater (mini crater lake) just south of Bend, several campgrounds on the lakes
  • Silver Falls State park near Salem
  • McKenzie Pass, watch the length restrictions, you won't be pulling your trailer over. Incredible mountain pass with a lava field on top.
  • Wallowa Lake and the Wallowa Mtns, Eastern Oregon near Joseph
  • Strawberry Mountain near John Day, Oregon
  • The drive south from Hood River to Mt Hood through the orchards, if you drive it northbound watch your mirror
  • Columbia River Gorge (Portland to Hood River) drive it either way
  • Micro Beers, Deschutes Brewery Tour in Bend is a good one, I think it is Saturdays only - Splash
  • Too many more places
Glacier National is great all over, the going to the sun road is awesome (watch the length restriciton). Try to get into Canada's Waterton National Park. Canadian National parks are a lot more relaxed on rules and have a more laid back feel. They have the general attitude of go ahead and try but that bear will eat you if you try. There is info on the recent post http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...per-31816.html about Glacier and Waterton

Don't hesitate to contact me with questions.