Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2015, 09:17 AM   #21
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
In Feb/March of 2015 we took a long trip down US 101 from Oregon almost to SF. Perhaps our blog will be of help to you. Start with this post: http://www.casarocinante.com/Blog/On...o-Cannon-Beach

Have a wonderful time, it's a fantastic trip!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:21 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
As a regular and long-time traveler/camper on the Central California Coast, my recommendations:
1) be there on weekdays and not weekends
2) true there are more accessible pullouts heading south, but there are plenty heading north that you can safely cross the road to get to
3) reservations are a very good idea
4) San Simeon SP for nice beaches,lots of wildlife, Hearst Castle
5) Kirk Creek views are spectacular (reservations necessary)
6) Pfeiffer Big Sur SP
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:24 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
In Depoe Bay you may want to stay at the Sea & Sand Resort. Nice Ocean views. It is a couple miles north of Depoe Bay proper. We like to stay at the Cannon Beach resort in Cannon Beach. Its a little walk to the beach but the resort is quiet. KOA in Astoria is nice. Visit the Maratime Museum. Its been a long time since we've been to Kalaloch (no hookups)which is in the Olympic National Park but, spot D25 used to be THE spot in the campground. Never had our stream in that spot though. Walk Ruby Beach if you can. We walked four miles on that beach one day and never saw another person! You will be amazed. Near Port Angeles in the Olympic Park is Crescent Lake. Campground nearby and you will want to visit the lodge and have a meal there. They are seasonal so you will need to check if they are open.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:05 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
summer time on the coast it is a zoo. planning around school times does not work that well as there are so many retired folks travelling it makes little difference. get out a map, get the state parks guide for OR and WA and start making reservations.
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:45 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
In WA state, just outside Olympic NP, Elwah Dam RV Park. Good location nice people. That will allow you to see the northern parts of this huge park with not too much driving. To see the western portions along the pacific coast without spending all day driving you'll want to stay on the west coast. I think most of the spots there don't have full hookups. But the scenery is amazing.

We are making the same trip in 2016 but starting in WA and going south through OR and CA. Otherwise I'd pass on more ideas.
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:12 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Irrigon , Oregon
14 miles north of Florence Oregon Carl G Washburn state park, try to arrive weekday mid morning ( one of the few " walk up only" sites left in Oregon : no reservations required or taken) plan to stay a day or 2. Water sewer electricity in most sites. The north end walk to the beach is a fantastic 1/2 mile to the beach. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1451572527.471956.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	254872Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1451572616.407309.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	254873 if you are a HIKER there is a six mile loop that has to be seen to believe. Even though you are within 100 yards of the highway in camp you never hear it . The beach is usually deserted with the exception of the day use area.
About 1/4 mile either side u will find a few folks. We have used this place as a. Zen spot to recover from heart attack and cancer recovery site ( you will be able to see why)

One thing you can count on is there will be crowds all along the coast. winter is mild and wet but that doesn't stop em. Summer is a Zoo 24/7 So do not get in a hurry. U will see lots of nice pull out along 101 with spectacular views
Oregon law says you can't own the beach ( the last Republican governor ever elected Tom Mcall made this happen in the late sixties) but you can own the only access. U may be tempted to use the vista pull outs on the west side of the highway. If you are there longer than a state police shift 8-10 hours you will be informed there is no camping here! Also it is not a peaceful place to set up camp, lunch maybe but move on citizen! Oregon state parks system has gone to reserve America system. So if you want to use the state parks you will need to set up an account there. Sometimes They will sell you empty sites after 6:00 pm this is sporadic and non uniform don't count on it. All of the handicap sites are fair game if they are not occupied by 6:00 or posted reserved. I know this is long winded, all I am trying to get across is use the state parks there are none better I have found yet. WA. Your on your own.

California. I try to spend as little time here as possible, although I do recommend Van Damm state park ( just south of Mendicino on highway 1) if you are a skin diver. A bit further north is Patrick's Point state park ( reserve America again) just north of Trinity ca. Next stop is Del Norte park just south of crescent city CA. , nice place to visit the BIG trees and Banana slugs. Lol 
Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1451574446.812166.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  177.6 KB

Once inside Oregon it is about 1 FULL DAY to get to Florence, then about the same to get to Astoria,, if you like KOA the one there is nice, but I would recommend the Fort Stevens State park just across the street a much nicer environment. No pool or sauna but a very nice campground,, well that's it for me.. Hope I helped
Alluminati. Not all conspiracies are theory.. Are you Alluminati?
FunyFarm is offline   Reply With Quote