Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2013, 07:15 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Franklin , Ohio
Maine Vermont campgrounds and Attractions

We are planning a trip to north east US to Maine and back does anyone have any suggestions on campgrounds and area attractions in Maine or Vermont?
I have never been to this area before and looking for advice.
We plan to make our trip in early September from Ohio after kids go back to school.
Ditter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Exeter , New Hampshire
That's a very loaded question. I am sure you can get great suggestions here but it would be very helpful if you added some specific insight on what you want to see and like to do as well as your preference for style of camping (full hookup vs boondock). There are very good options for folks that want to "stay on the grid" versus "get away from the crowds". The diversity from Burlington VT to Southeast Vermont to the Northeast Kingdom and from the Maine coast to the mountains can be amazing.
Tincandad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Hello Ditter. This year my son and I went up to NEK (north east kingdom) and took a tour on quads (4 wheelers) around Danville VT. It was the highlight of our vacation.
Each person drives their own quad. Speed limit up there is 25MPH. If interested qoogle NEK Quad Tours. Really a great way to see the rural side of VT. Also up there there is Ben&Jerry icecream plant tours and Cabot Cheese factory tours. If you like cheese you can eat you heart out.
In Maine LL Bean, in Freeport,is a good place to visit. You may not be able to afford to buy anything there but is a nice place to visit along with all the other outlet shops.
If you like lobster stew, Bobs Clam Shack in Kittery ME is a must stop. Right next to the Kittery Trading Post. The stew is expensive but you will never forget the experience. As said there are so many things to do and see it's hard to answer your question.
Happy camping nm1oqrz
nm1oqrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We need to know a little more about your interests and camping style to better answer your questions.

We have visited Maine every year for the past eight years. We visit the upper coast around Bar Harbor and up to West Quaddy Head. Acadia national Park is well worth a visit. The upper coast is less touristy than the southern end of the Maine Coast. Which is good or bad, depending on your perspective.

We are avid Moosers, and spend most of our time in interior Maine. We really like the Mount Katahdin area and Baxter State Park. We also frequent Moosehead Lake and the North Maine Woods. A lot depends on how far off of the beaten path you want to get.

I also noticed that you did not even mention New Hampshire. To get from Vermont to Maine, you must drive through New Hampshire. Mount Washington is definitely worth a visit.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
The New Hampshire White Mountain region has a lot of outdoor activities to do. There is the Flume, Lost River, Cannon Mountain gondola ride, Kancamagus Highway that is a must scenic ride through the mountains.

If you are in the White Mountains in early October, then there is the leaf peeping to see the colors.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Franklin , Ohio
Our camping style:

1st our camper is 30' in length so that dictates where we can stay most of the time. We love campsites with scenic views, woods, wildlife and water. My wife prefers a pull through site to reduce stress if you know what I mean.

We enjoy camping with electric, water, and a dump station nearby but are up to boon docking once in a while.

Last year we went out west for 6 weeks, we found that 3 days in most areas was long enough. I'm not sure of north east.

Would we need reservations? I usually make reservations but it seems to make you rush a bit and we have had to cancel a few, at minimal cost.

Last year the fires had blocked some of our planed routes.

We do love to eat and especially enjoy sea food, cheese, and ice cream.
We like to hike moderate trails and visit historical sites. Shopping is also on my wife list. This trip will be 2 - 3 weeks in length.
All the responses will defiantly help in planning our trip.
Thanks so much for all the feedback.
Ron
Old 11-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
"Mount Washington is definitely worth a visit" .....X2
Camp around mount Washington for at least 3 days to take full advantage of what the area has to offer. A lot.
F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #8
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We stayed a few days at Camden State Park. Good base to visit the Camden / Rockford area of coastal Maine. Bar Harbor area is worth the visit. In fact all of coastal Maine is worth the visit. Enjoy some lobster for me while you're there.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Windsor , Connecticut
In VT, try to take in the Calvin Coolidge historical site in Plymouth Notch. Coolidge State Park is nearby for camping, and Queechee Gorge is a short trip away for hiking, the presidential site is very educational and interesting, and is a beautifully preserved little village.
yikessue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Franklin , Ohio
Kiwanis Ocean Front Camping St. Andrews NB

Thanks for all the great ideas I need to go to AAA and get some maps and mount on foam board and start planning tip.

Has anyone camped at Kiwanis Ocean Front Camping St. Andrews NB.?

I found an article on whale watching tours aboard a 24’ zodiac in St. Andrew sounds up close and personal.

Not sure how pets are accepted when crossing border into Canada.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:39 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Ditter,

I live in Maine and have been to many of the campgrounds here. Here are some ideas for you.

Camden State park is one of two state park campgrounds with Electricity and Water. No Sewer though, but they have a nice dump station. I like this campground and it's close to Camden which is a great little town to visit, specially if you can time it with the tall ships. You are also close to Rockport, Rockland, and not too far from Belfast.

If you want to spend time near Freeport, I would recommend Recompense Campground, no hookups, but you are right on the water. My favorite sites are 164 thru 168, all very nice waterfronts.

Another favorite of ours is Greys Homestead Campground in Southport. Favorite sites are 9b, 29a - Full Hookups

If you want to go to moose head lake, I like Casey Spencer Bay Campground. Very remote. You have water, and power for a few hours of the day.

Acadia is a great place to visit as well. But the campgrounds are nothing to write home about. We typically stay in Hadley's Point Campground. Full Hookups.

Blackwoods campground is one of two federal campgrounds in Acadia. It is probably the best campground in Acadia as far as I am concerned but it has no hookups and the sites are VERY tight for an AS Trailer.

If you want to go to Baxter, there are a few campgrounds up there, we like Abol Bridge (no hookups), and they have ONE spectacular site on the river with the best views of Mt. Katahdin, that site is #26. Then there is also Chewonki Big Eddy Campground which is further up, right on the river and also very nice.

Not sure how far north you want to go, but my ultimate favorite campground up north is Hole in the wall campground on Grand Mannan island right out in the bay of fundy, you have too take a ferry out there but the hassle is well worth it.

We stayed at site D with the most incredible views of the ocean.

Our taste in campgrounds may be a bit different than yours so just so that you have an idea, I like privacy, views, hookups, in that order.

Hope that helps.

-J
jpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Great posts! Thanks!
Old 11-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #13
Troutstream

2006 28' International CCD
Centerville , Ohio
Maine has so many great choices. Like many of the others, I am a fan of Camden Hills State Park. It is a good base to explore the central coast. Acadia National Park is a must. I liked the Blackwoods Campground. It is a National Park campground with no hookups but you are in a great location. Finally, my favorite campground in Maine is Cobscook Bay in the Downeast section of Maine. It is off the beaten path but has the best campsites in terms of views and privacy. Plus you can go clamming right below your site. I have several blog posts about Maine at airstreamweekends.blogspot.com
TROUTD is offline   Reply With Quote