Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Lakewood NJ to Gaffney SC

I will be headed out of Lakewood NJ on Tuesday 3/19 headed south to Gaffney SC. Mapquest gives 2 options, I-76 w them I-81 S or I-85 through Baltimore and Washington. I want to make good time with one night on the road. The I-76 / I-81 route is about 60 miles longer but according to map quest takes less time to drive than the I-85 route.

I will be driving a class A motor home and and trying to avoid steep grades and congestion as much as possible.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Don
Old 03-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Last November I pulled a 5er from Annapolis, MD to Greenville, SC. It was the Saturday after Thanksgiving and traffic in the DC area was heavy but not terrible. The 81 route is my preference though.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We make the trip from NJ to SC frequently. In fact we are on the road now returning homeward and are in Mississippi heading through South Carolina. My vote is for 81 without any hesitation. Anything to avoid DC traffic. If you can't avoid the 95 corridor I would put my vote to 301 from Delaware south to Richmond. Good road and traffic isn't too bad.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
we used to go to our place in asbury park NJ to rutherford county, NC frequently. We return to philly often to see family... my in-law prefer 85. we always take 76 to 81. i know that doesn't help much.... i always hate DC traffic, it's always hit or miss.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

If you can time your trip to blow through the Balt/DC/Richmond area during the middle of the night 11:00pm-4:00am I would maybe take the I-95 route. All other times, run the I-81 route. The Balt/DC has some of the worst traffic in the USA (I should know, I drive in it all the time). I-81 can have a lot of truck traffic, but if you don't mind running with the 18 wheelers, it's great road and a much better view (I should know, I live right off I-81)

Enjoy,
Old 03-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
If you can time your trip to blow through the Balt/DC/Richmond area during the middle of the night 11:00pm-4:00am I would maybe take the I-95 route. All other times, run the I-81 route. The Balt/DC has some of the worst traffic in the USA (I should know, I drive in it all the time). I-81 can have a lot of truck traffic, but if you don't mind running with the 18 wheelers, it's great road and a much better view (I should know, I live right off I-81)

Enjoy,
LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!

The wife and I drove from Branson to Lakewood to pick up our new trailer, a couple of weeks ago, and how I wished I could have read this post then!

Like a complete idiot, we traveled the I 95 route, and guess what?

We left Lakewood around noon on Friday, and hit Baltimore around 3:00.

We didn't get into Fredricksburg until 7:00.

WELLLLLL, at least we got into Fredricksburg the same day.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

murreywalker,

That can not be! I just checked Google Maps and it said it only takes an 1 hour 43 minutes and Google's never wrong.

Sorry you got the slow DC drive-by.

Enjoy,
Old 03-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
I would avoid I-85. In North Carolina there are several improvement projects going on with lots of construction zones (Charlotte, Concord, Lexington, etc.). My brother-in-law was coming home last Friday for what should have been a 2 and 1/2 hour trip and encountered a wreck near near one of the construction zones. His trip turned into 9 hours. Many people ran out of gas because they could not make it to an exit where gas was available.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote