Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2015, 09:44 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Smyrna , Tennessee
Is there a military discount CG program?

Hi all-
We are about to begin our AS lifestyle adventure! We will be on the road for a whole year. My husband is a veteran. I assume that some privately owned RV parks might offer veteran discounts, but we wouldn't know without calling & asking one by one.

Is there a certain "chain" maybe or an annual-fee program which offers discounts for vets? Or vets get free membership to Escapees or something?

Just planning in advance how to save on all the nightly fees which will add up fast! Thanks!
Rhonda1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:52 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
The only campground chain I'm aware of that specifically offers a veterans discount is Yogi Bear's Jellystone campgrounds. There may be others, but more likely veterans discounts would be decided by the individual parks.

Corps of Engineers parks accept the National Park Service's Senior Pass (for those over 62, formerly called the "Golden Age Passport"), and Access Pass (for disabled/handicapped). The National Park Service also issues a Military Pass, but that's only for active duty military and dependents, and only covers day-use fees, not camping. But since Corps of Engineers campgrounds typically have camping fees that are half the price— or less— of nearby commercial campgrounds, even if you don't qualify for one of the discount passes you could still consider them "discount" parks. Plus the CoE parks tend to be a lot more scenic than the commercial campgrounds. CoE campgrounds are located in 44 of the 50 states, and you can find all of them using this webpage…
www.CorpsLakes.us - Corps Lakes Gateway
Old 10-16-2015, 05:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
MWR offers camping at a large number of military installations. Check out this website: U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks - Home
The users provide all sorts of ratings, directions, and info on what looks like all the MWR recreation facilities. Some CG will offer all kinds of discounts (AAA, Good Sam, military...)
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
The Good Sam campgrounds I've stayed at offered a military discount.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:17 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
MWR offers camping at a large number of military installations. Check out this website: U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks - Home
The users provide all sorts of ratings, directions, and info on what looks like all the MWR recreation facilities.
The sticking point here— and why I did not mention it in my previous post— is that you have to be active duty, retired, or 100% disabled, or a dependent of one of those. Honorably discharged but not retired doesn't qualify to use MWR. Which hardly seems fair, but that's just the way it is.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:06 AM   #6

1969 27' Overlander
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda1210 View Post
Hi all-
We are about to begin our AS lifestyle adventure! We will be on the road for a whole year. My husband is a veteran. I assume that some privately owned RV parks might offer veteran discounts, but we wouldn't know without calling & asking one by one.

Is there a certain "chain" maybe or an annual-fee program which offers discounts for vets? Or vets get free membership to Escapees or something?

Just planning in advance how to save on all the nightly fees which will add up fast! Thanks!
Having traveled all over some offer and some don't. National & State parks offer seasonal passes at a discount.National Park Service Some private parks do too . I found some liberal states don't care about vets (They know who they are) .
Best bet is to ask for an available space during peak season (summer rates are higher) vs low seasons. Once they confirm a vacancy then ask for Veterans discounts or AAA or etc. We found that KOA's are mostly families with a thousand kids up at the crack of dawn yelling and screaming. While the higher priced one had virtually NO KIDS! Based on your budget and needs it was allot more relaxing at the $$$ than the $. You decide. Good Luck be safe.
Boomer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:16 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
I am a Veteran and have learn to ask, and more are giving a military discount, need a VA ID.

Every penny helps.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:31 AM   #8

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Ashland , Oregon
Any Oregon State RV park you can stay for free up to 15-days a year.

There is an application procedure, Your Veteran must have a service connected disability at any percentage including 0%.

Here is the link if your going to role through the North West:

Oregon State Parks and Recreation Department: Special Access Pass for Veterans with Disabilities Refunds for Active Duty Military On Leave
tombean100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:05 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The sticking point here— and why I did not mention it in my previous post— is that you have to be active duty, retired, or 100% disabled, or a dependent of one of those. Honorably discharged but not retired doesn't qualify to use MWR. Which hardly seems fair, but that's just the way it is.
you can be sponsored by qualified person to use MWR FAMCAMP and not have any affiliation with military. sponsor is responsible for your actions. retired civil service also have privilege
splintair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
And to include NAF employees and DoD retired civilians (when space is available and the disabled and military retired have priority, which is only right).
Old 10-16-2015, 03:57 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Parkersburg , West Virginia
If you or your spousal unit are 62 or older, get yourselves on over to store.usgs.gov and pay $10 for a senior access pass. it will get you into a lot of wonderful national parks, corp of engineer campgrounds and a lot of other terrific places in this beautiful country for a fraction of the cost to those without the pass. the camping in these parks in our experience, is exceptionally fine.
jsandrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:51 PM   #12
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I have been to many places and businesses that do not advertise but do offer a military discount. Some stipulate Active / Retired / Disabled, but many will give it for the asking. I always offer my Mil ID as proof positive.
I appreciate those that remember us after the fight is over. Always grateful, never for granted.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
I usually ask if there is no sign. The retired card is parked behind the driver's license in the wallet.
Some of the bases have facilities that you might not think of. For example Fitzimmon's Medical Center in Denver had an RV campground - all of which is now the UC Health Sciences Center - no longer an Army base. But you get the idea ...
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:33 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have camped at a couple of KOAs that give military discounts. I always ask, it is rare these days that businesses do not give either an old fart or military discount.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:35 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
olympia , Washington
sub'd
Xicaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:37 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Nauvoo , Alabama
Thumbs up

QUOTE=AWCHIEF;1697975]I have camped at a couple of KOAs that give military discounts. I always ask, it is rare these days that businesses do not give either an old fart or military discount.[/QUOTE]

I am retired US Army (21) forced to due to heath issues after the Gulf War and have been camping ever scense. Just got my wife an AS I am doing a little updating on. I just want to say that I did not mention the military too much after the reception we got coming in SEA (south East Asia) in 1971. But America seams to have changed after the Gulf War and 9-11.
We have recieved up 50% off and sometimes been told we could stay free; just by having my Miltary ID in a see through pouch on the front, (left over wallet from my Military days.) I never asked, (my wife does) and I get great offers and many "Thanks for your service!". don't be like me, be PROUD, and ask. And to all who served in any way to the defence of this great nation, Thanks for your service. I am not a quilt, my wife has a quilt shop and she is closing this year so we can camp even more, See Ya'll out on the road.
Kathys quilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:46 PM   #17
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
We usually ask and get about a 10% discount on average.

Couple things about those MWR facilities. I'm pretty sure those are funded by the NAF budget and use fees, not the taxpayers. So naturally they have limited resources available to them.

"The Rules" and facilities for them are all over the map. There are four of them in the Ft Walton Beach/Destin area. One is operated by the Ft Benning MWR folks. Campsites are basically Hub-to-Hub. Read: Small. Also have what amounts to a small hotel on the water front. Beach, boat ramp and so forth. Another one is operated by Maxwell AFB folks. Open campground with lots of room, but reservations are kinda weird. IIRC, you can't reserve far in advance (maybe 90 days or something like that, it's on the MWR website). Active duty gets first priority (which is the way it should be). Eglin has two facilities with lots of sites. But the kicker is that you can't make a reservation, first come, first served (which is NOT the way it should be). Every time we've driven by that place, it's packed.

Just be advised if you want to stay in one these facilities to check things carefully before you hitch up and go.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Visited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
We usually ask and get about a 10% discount on average.

Couple things about those MWR facilities. I'm pretty sure those are funded by the NAF budget and use fees, not the taxpayers. So naturally they have limited resources available to them.

"The Rules" and facilities for them are all over the map. There are four of them in the Ft Walton Beach/Destin area. One is operated by the Ft Benning MWR folks. Campsites are basically Hub-to-Hub. Read: Small. Also have what amounts to a small hotel on the water front. Beach, boat ramp and so forth. Another one is operated by Maxwell AFB folks. Open campground with lots of room, but reservations are kinda weird. IIRC, you can't reserve far in advance (maybe 90 days or something like that, it's on the MWR website). Active duty gets first priority (which is the way it should be). Eglin has two facilities with lots of sites. But the kicker is that you can't make a reservation, first come, first served (which is NOT the way it should be). Every time we've driven by that place, it's packed.

Just be advised if you want to stay in one these facilities to check things carefully before you hitch up and go.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim
Stayed a couple days last year at the Fort Benning MWR site. Hub to hub is correct. It may be tight, but it's a great and quiet location. We always take out bicycles and ride down to the main drag to sight-see and shop. Can't beat the price and location. I'll be there in about a week for a weeks stay before heading to Miramar Beach to a local campground just across the street from the gulf side beach for a month.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:07 PM   #19
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Jim, you are correct. The services' camping facilities that are on post, camp, station, base or whatever are (indeed) funded by non-appropriated funds. That means the funding to operate them does not come from taxpayers but from those who are entitled to use the facilities. A great many of these entitlements accrue to those who are either on active duty or who have some other status as a result of being a full-time DoD employee. There is often a priority as well, with active duty at the top of the list. Those military personnel who are receiving retirement pay (generally, 20 or more years of service), can use MWR facilities as well, and as you noted, their priority is lower. This is a benefit which many of us earned as a result of our service, and -- like many others -- can and does change over time.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:26 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, we just got home from a cross country trip; It was for 3 1/2 months. Everywhere we went I told them I was Good Sam, Senior Citizen, AAA, and a Military Vet. A few [not all] KOA's gave me a discount equal to a member ship discount for being a Vet. I re-joined with KOA and they don't give more than one discount.

Lowes will give a 10% discount to veterans, but Home depot will only do it for active or retired Military.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote