Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2002, 04:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Help - I'm very green - How do i tow it home?

I just got a 71 overlander. I have gotten a 2-5/16 ball. However how do I hook up the lights to the round outlets and what is the deal with breaks on the airstream. Do they run off my break lights?
I am asking for as much info as anyone is willing to share --- THANKS!!
Jim
Jim Sease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 04:49 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

towing

hey jim

you might want to have someone wire your tow vehicle up for the lights and brakes make sure you tell them to put a brake controler on it not sure how much it will cost but ill bet you can get it done for under $300 buks make sure that the plug matches your trailor your trailor should have electric brakes that go on when you put the tow vehicle brakes on good luck

paul k
paul k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 04:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Getting it home

Jim, how far is "home" from you. Down the block vs. tens, hundreds of miles?
Brakes are electrically controlled from a brake controller installed in your car. A hitch installer or RV dealer can install one for you. Figure around $300. The same dealer can adapt your trailers wiring to your truck when you get the controller installed. You may ask the seller if they'd tow the trailer to your installer - you won't have any brakes or brake lights if you tow it yourself. I had my dealer change the plug to a seven prong flat plug (pretty universal). If you are going any distance, you should also invest in a hitch weight distribution system. You'll need one anyway for towing your camper.

I'm assuming that the camper is roadworthy. Make sure the brakes and bearings are o.k. If you are going to tow the trailer a long distance home, I'd have someone check out your breaks and bearings before the trip. Check the tires too.
Good luck, and congratulations on your purchase! Post pictures!
Others will probably give their advice as well,
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 04:57 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

thanks, Home is about 90 miles away. The guy I brought it from can not tow it, (it is a long story but basicly he is selling for a friend who is out of town). Do you think I would be crazy to try to get it back to my house with just a hitch and patching the lights to do the best they can?
Old 11-08-2002, 05:08 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Being in the State of Texas, surely you know someone with a pickup truck, with a hitch and proper wiring. Those trailer plugs are fairly universal, and most new trucks come wired from the factory if they have the trailering package. Most trucks sold around here have it.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 05:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Getting Home

Well, I can't in good consence recommend towing without brakes. What kind of tow truck do you have? You are going to have to make the wiring mods and install the controller anyway if you are to enjoy your trailer later. I'd hate to see something happen to you or somebody else just because you want to get home. The legal dollars involved if you'd get in an accident would be MANY times more expensive then the cost to make yourself roadworthy and safe. There must be a nearby dealer/ RV store to the trailer that could help you. My 18ft boat makes a difference in stopping ability when it's brakes aren't working (going down the block, the distance increased coming to a stop with the reverse lockout accidently engaged). I'd hate to see what 20+ feet of trailer would do from freeway speeds.
Good luck,
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 05:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
What are you towing with? The trailer weighs over 4500 lbs. That is a lot without brakes.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 05:23 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Congratulations on your purchase!
My husband and I just bought a 1974 International Overlander today, we tow it home tomorrow. Yesterday I went and had a braking system installed in our Dodge Ram truck, it cost a total of $250 (including tax). We were told that it would not be a good idea to tow a trailer of that size without it.
-Anna
Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 05:47 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
I have a 19' Bambi which I tow with a Land Rover Disco. I would not consider towing it for more than a few blocks (if that) without the wieght distributing hitch, electronic brake controller, and full lights hookup. If you are planning to tow with the Isuzu Trooper, I think you will definately need the full setup. A 27' 4500# trailer will push that Trooper all over the road.

My advice, take a deep breath and some time to prep the trailer for your (and our) safety. Better to take your time, do it right and truly enjoy your new toy rather than rush and possibly end up rueing the day you bought it.
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 06:23 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Rogers , Arkansas
I bought a 72 Tradewind in September that was 600 miles away. I had a brake controller wired and a wiring connector based on the information from airstreams.com before I left home. I made an appointment with the RV center nearest the trailer to check the brakes, pack the wheel bearings and generally check road worthiness plus installing an equalizing hitch and sway control. I had a 45 mile tow to the RV center over lightly traveled two lane. It was a 45 MPH tow. Over that speed I had lots of whip. The trailer was not level and down by the hitch. After installation of the hitch and anti-sway it tows like a dream. I might be willing to go 90 miles without an equalizing hitch, but not without trailer brakes working.
pepper48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 07:11 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Not to be a downer, but, I don't know if I'd tow a 27 ft trailer at all with a Trooper. Was going to buy a 27ft trailer myself and tow it with my modified '90 Toyota FJ62 Landcruiser. Had plenty of torque with the V8 but found out that at 107" wheelbase my truck was just too short to tow the trailer safely/comfortably so I bought a Motorhome instead. I can't imagine the Trooper has a much longer wheelbase than my truck. At the very least get a load equalizing hitch, maybe even spend the money on a Hensley, and NEVER tow it without functioning trailer brakes.

You'll find the subject explored and debated to it's fullest in the thread Tow Vehicles

Good Luck
spinolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 08:51 PM   #12
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Towing it Home

Jim...
take it from a Dumb Blonde

(Hey! I got kicked off one List for saying that...! I don't care...I'm blonde and if you can't poke fun at yourself..you're a PUTZ..! )

...so
take it from a Dumb Blonde...Call any RV repair shop---or several of them better yet...and gather a list of towing people...just ask the service manager who they use to tow their RVs from the dealership to shows, or take delivery on them, etc.).

Then, you start calling; if they don't return your call withinj 24 hours, scratch their name off the list (they're too busy and have no personal touch); if they call back and take a "tude" (attitude),...just tell them you have a "Baby in the bathwater"...or "the toilet's overflowing---GOTTA GO"...and hang up...

NEXT...

Wait till you get someone who says they charge a reasonable price...has a good size diesel truck---like a "duly"...and has stabilizing bars, and CERTAINLY a factory-installed TOW PACKAGE... so they don't lose your rig....AND MOST OF ALL DEMAND TO KNOW WHO THEIR INSURANCE IS...and when they show up to hook 'you' up...ask for a copy of their valid' insurance card!

Make sure their "hook-up" charge includes going by a "State Reststop" and making a pit-stop" there... dumping the holding tanks on the way;

and make sure the "per mile charge" isn't outrageous. Your notes will teach you what the competitive rates are in your area.

Use your "gutt feelings'...talk to lots, get referrals (of people he tows a lot with===or at last feel good about WHO referred you to them!....like the guy I found was highly recommended by this Service place that I got excellent referrals TO) You'll get a good one that way.

and make notes==that way, when you call back, you'll be able to quote their original prices quoted. Get the NAME of who you talk to, and note the date and time, and the things (prices) the said.

You aren't gauranteed of being satisfied, but if you take your time, I believe you'll be happy with your choice. I'm still using the same guy to take it to service or wherever (remember all I have is a 200SER-SX.) ...the same guy I used the first time to "TOW IT HOME". He doesn't even have a printed invoice pad. He charged $50 hookup (to pick up and to bring home from service too---and he stops at the Dumping Station)...and $1.75 per mile.

Not too bad...but I'm sure this fluxuates from one area to another. Like I siad, you'll find out the 'going rate' in your area, when you make your calls...

Get a new tablet out...and write your clear notes! Good luck to you...and CONGRATULATIONS!!

Now the fun starts...my friend..

But, I do guarantee it's the best seduction you'll ever succumb to.
Old 11-09-2002, 06:47 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Thanks

thanks eveyone it been great to have every on confirm my gut feeling about this. I am sure I will be talking to y'all again soon!