Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2021, 11:19 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Burbank , California
Hi! Where is the sale?
StinkBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:06 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Sacramento , California
I got a couple of the HF chocks with the eyebolts a couple years ago. Love 'em! They're also handy for keeping things from sliding around in the bed of my TV. I lost one of them and my local HF never has them in stock, so I got a similar one from Home Depot but I don't like it. The eyebolt is recessed and impossible to grab with a finger. The HB version is much better.

X-Chocks are great for stabilization, but you must level your trailer before installing the X-Chocks (yeah, I read the manual), so you'll need something to keep the trailer from rolling away while you do that.

And if you search Amazon, you'll find chocks like the HB version that come in orange. I personally hate the bright color, but it makes it a little harder to drive off without them. :-)
as-ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:00 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauerg View Post
While you are at Harbor Freight, check out their anti fatigue foam rubber matts.They come in different widths and lengths. Our floors have been covered with them for over a year and they hardly show any wear. They can be cut with scissors easily to fit anywhere. They insulate the floor and allow you to kneel down without discomfort when getting access to lower items in the trailer. And an added plus is when time to clean the floor, pull them out and sponge them off outside without bending over. They are cheap and come in a neutral grey color. Trust me, once tried, you will never go back.
be careful with rubber mats on vinyl floors in Airstreams. they do leave stains on the vinyl floor and it will never be removed. If you want a mat, get one without rubber.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:00 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by as-ty View Post
I got a couple of the HF chocks with the eyebolts a couple years ago. Love 'em! They're also handy for keeping things from sliding around in the bed of my TV. I lost one of them and my local HF never has them in stock, so I got a similar one from Home Depot but I don't like it. The eyebolt is recessed and impossible to grab with a finger. The HB version is much better.

X-Chocks are great for stabilization, but you must level your trailer before installing the X-Chocks (yeah, I read the manual), so you'll need something to keep the trailer from rolling away while you do that.

And if you search Amazon, you'll find chocks like the HB version that come in orange. I personally hate the bright color, but it makes it a little harder to drive off without them. :-)
orange rubber?

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Old 01-06-2021, 01:01 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkBomb View Post
Hi! Where is the sale?
Rubber chocks can be found in Harbor Freight, near car body tools.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Old 01-07-2021, 09:48 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halford1 View Post
orange rubber?
Sorry...not orange rubber. I meant to say they look like the HF chocks, but they're orange. I haven't seen any in person, just the product photos online.
as-ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:53 AM   #27
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
I thought about the HF rubber chocks, decided against them due to weight and that they had an odor. Not sure if the odor dissipates but I didn't want them in my trailer. At one campground we were at, I saw a guy install a set of metal chocks but never got an opportunity to talk to him about them. Then I saw them at an RV rally, Fastway One-Step chocks. In my mind, they are the best available for a multi-axle trailer. Reasonable weight, fast, secure install and removal. I also had a set of x-chocks and don't like them. If you use a ratchet, they take a while to install and remove, using a battery drill can get you a whacked hand, ask me how I know. Well the One-Steps do as good a job as the X-Chocks did at stopping the bouncing. So I sold the X-Chocks and only carry the One-Steps.
Only reason not to consider these is if you are sold on something like the Anderson levelers.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:09 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam205 View Post
I thought about the HF rubber chocks, decided against them due to weight and that they had an odor. Not sure if the odor dissipates but I didn't want them in my trailer. At one campground we were at, I saw a guy install a set of metal chocks but never got an opportunity to talk to him about them. Then I saw them at an RV rally, Fastway One-Step chocks. In my mind, they are the best available for a multi-axle trailer. Reasonable weight, fast, secure install and removal. I also had a set of x-chocks and don't like them. If you use a ratchet, they take a while to install and remove, using a battery drill can get you a whacked hand, ask me how I know. Well the One-Steps do as good a job as the X-Chocks did at stopping the bouncing. So I sold the X-Chocks and only carry the One-Steps.
Only reason not to consider these is if you are sold on something like the Anderson levelers.
No idea that the HF wheel chocks smell. Never noticed it or bothered me. You do not use chocks inside the trailer, they belong to outside, securing the wheels to keep Airstream from rolling away and keeps you from saying, "Gone with the Wind" when the AS rolls away, aided by strong winds.

I am deaf and when I lost my sense of hearing, my other sense increased to compensate for the loss of hearing: meaning my sense of smell increased vastly, does my other senses. I do NOT smell any odor from HF wheel chocks. Unless you hate the smell of rubber like tires. Over time the smell of rubber on tires and wheel chocks dissipate.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Old 01-08-2021, 08:47 AM   #29
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halford1 View Post
No idea that the HF wheel chocks smell. Never noticed it or bothered me. You do not use chocks inside the trailer, they belong to outside, securing the wheels to keep Airstream from rolling away and keeps you from saying, "Gone with the Wind" when the AS rolls away, aided by strong winds.
All I can say is that the chocks I checked out at my local HF store had a definite and significant odor. So strong that I was concerned about having them inside a storage compartment while traveling. I did put a set into a basket, but ended up putting them back on the shelf. Also, I don't use chocks at my storage location, the ground is dead flat and relatively soft, to the extent my tires sink into the ground a bit over a couple of days. So, the chocks I checked in the store would be a problem between trips.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:33 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam205 View Post
All I can say is that the chocks I checked out at my local HF store had a definite and significant odor. So strong that I was concerned about having them inside a storage compartment while traveling. I did put a set into a basket, but ended up putting them back on the shelf. Also, I don't use chocks at my storage location, the ground is dead flat and relatively soft, to the extent my tires sink into the ground a bit over a couple of days. So, the chocks I checked in the store would be a problem between trips.
the chocks must be VERY new just like the tires. my fetish is smelling the new tires. Sadly the rubbery smell will fade away shortly. very sad.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Old 01-08-2021, 08:08 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
I bought two of the HF chocks and just tossed them in the bed of my truck. Will have them around if I should need them for the truck or trailer.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:08 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Stinky chocks?

Yes, they are.

I left mine outside in the sun. After a while, the rubber gave off whatever it was that caused the stink.

Not a problem now.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote