Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2016, 08:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Saint Helena Island , South Carolina
Franklin Locks North-Florida

Little lady and I are going to spend 3 days here next week. I know its going to be hot but we live here all year so not too bad. Any thoughts on the area and should we bring our bikes with us?
rollieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:48 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollieboy View Post
Little lady and I are going to spend 3 days here next week. I know its going to be hot but we live here all year so not too bad. Any thoughts on the area and should we bring our bikes with us?
I am assuming that you are talking about the North side of the Caloosahatchee and not North Florida. We have stopped there at the docks when crossing the OWW from Stuart to Fort Myers. I don't know of anything close around, but it is a quiet place to stay.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
You can bicycle in the cg. Best bet is crossing over the river at Alva and going back to the locks on the south side and watch the boats go through. You can use the walkway to get real close. There is a park there but no camping on the south side. While in Alva, stop at the Alva diner. North side has a fishing pier, I like to watch people catch different kinds of fish there.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:52 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
WP Franklin Lock on the Okeechobee Waterway is in manatee country. If you go over to the lock to watch the boats go by, you may see some. Boats are required to come to a complete stop whenever manatees are sighted, to keep from cutting the critters with their propellers. AND, if a manatee swims up to the lock gates, the lock operators are required to lock the manatees through to the other side just as if they were boats!

I've never stayed at the Franklin Lock campground, but I spent a week at Franklin Lock for training when I worked for the Corps of Engineers, years before I bought my Airstream. First time I ever saw manatees in the wild instead of in an aquarium.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks rollieboy and welcome to the forum!

Interesting to learn of this CG:

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/wp...O&parkId=73462

which includes: "The 30 tent and RV sites and the eight boat sites are equipped with electric and water hookups. A boat ramp and fishing pier are conveniently onsite."

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...a_Florida.html

https://www.google.com/maps/place/W....!4d-81.6933801

Thanks again.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I have not stayed at the campground, but have driven in to look a few times. In winter, when I visited, it is busy!

If you want to take a cruise/half day trip through the locks on a boat tour you can from the Ft Myers area. Some tours offer lunch or dinner.

Another interest in that area I have been to a few times is the Edison & Ford Winter Estates at Ft Myers.

During winter the manatee cows and their calves gather at Manatee Park (Lee County Park) near the warm water outlet of the electrical generation plant. It not unusual to see them by the hundreds.