Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2002, 08:21 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor
essential tools

Greetings.
Next week I'll leave on my first major trip in my "new" '77 Sovereign, cross-country from Michigan to Arizona. I'm putting together a tool kit and would appreciate any suggestions for essential tools for travelling. I've looked at Frank's earlier post, but don't have the array he has to select from
So your recommendations will take me on a buying trip to Ace or Camping World, or wherever.
Thanks.
Eugenie
maznblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 08:54 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
When we traveled full time in our 77 sovereign I carried the following tool and supplies.

Basic hand tools: Screwdrivers, Phillips and Standard, 16 oz hammer, Small socket set, 2 crescent wrenches 6-8 inch size, Makita battery powered drill with charger, drill bits of various sizes, pop rivet gun with rivets of various sizes, a pair of pliers and a small screw top tube of silicone (I know silicone is bad, but when you need to fix a leak in the rain NOW you worry about undoing it and fixing it later) A test meter of some sort for AC/DC and continuity, assorted screws in different lengths, and some short 1-2 ft pieces of wire of varying gauges. I also carried the tools to crimp on ends and such but if the problem is that severe you may want to take it into a shop.

If your Sovereign is a center bath model I would suggest also buying a set or two of the closet door hinges. I know it sounds silly, but we seemed to have a set break every 6-8 months. We would enter the rig after arriving and the door would be lying in the hall or flopping from the top hinge. 3-4 bucks and worth it as you will not find them easily on the road. I also recommend a can of silicone lube and a can of lithium grease, as well as a tire iron that fits the lugs on the trailer. Bulbs and other safety items can usually be had on the road at the auto supply stores.

Let me put it this way. If you have it and think you may need it take it if you can, weight permitting of course.

Good luck on your trip.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 05:04 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

EAP,
Another suggeston would be 1 or two small ramps approx 12-15" long and 3" high. This will allow you to change a flat tire by driving the good wheel/wheels up on the ramp, thus lifting the flat tire off the ground without using a jack. You can make the ramps yourself from wood blocks or buy the plastic ones from your local RV supply store.
The 'which tools to carry' question doesn't have a universal answer since everyone has personal tool preferences. Trial and errror and experience will soon show which stuff you need.
Old 06-20-2002, 10:18 AM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Need help

EAP,

If you are coming any where near Phoenix and need something. Even just directions as to where to go to buy parts. "Call me"
480 345-1939 wk #.

Now I have to question your sanity as to why you want to come to AZ in the last week in June. It is supposed to get to 112 today. Humidity is somewhere between 3 and 7%. It's drier than the moon up north and most of the National forest is closed due to fire restrictions. Water is getting a little short, however no restrictions.

Sure you don't want to wait till November?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-21-2002, 11:00 AM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Tool kit

My wife gave me a tool kit from Pep Boys last birthday. It is in a fitted plastic case and rides on the hump under the back seat of my extended cab Chevy. There are both metric and English sockets and wrenches. Not real high quality tools, but plenty sufficient for emergency repairs. My quality tools stay in my workshop.

I also have a toolbox in my covered truck bed with some larger sockets, a breaker bar, big water pump pliers, a small hammer, and several of the laminated Sears pliers. I make sure I have a socket along to fit the wheel lugs. With the breaker bar, I always have enough leverage to get a lug nut off without too much strain on my arthritic hands.

I carry a compartmented plastic box in the trailer with an assortment of wood and metal screws, washers, hose washers, and the like.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 07:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Talking tools

Eugenie,

Congrats on your new (77) A/S..~!~
One thing that I don't think anyone mention is a 12volt air compressor..It sure beats hoofin it if a tire goes flat or gets low. Some of the hand tools mention are excellent to have with you. In addition, plse don't forget a first-aid kit and, not one but, several fire extinguisher ( baking soda is good for stove fire). Point of references: If you have a fire under the hood (god forbid), don't lift up the hood to put the fire out but, rather, point your fire extinguisher right into the grill~! This'll put the fire out quicker than anything..If you have a fire in your A/S, by all means try to put it out but, don't lose sight of this fact: A fire in any trailer can and, will spread very quickly. Keep your exit in sight just in case you have to bail out~!(I've not seen it actually happen but, it's been reported that most trailers can be totally consumed in matter of minutes. Be prepared to jump ship~!~Your life is worth more than any trailer.
I always carry extra oil, diesel fuel, tranny fluid, several gallons of anti-freezes and, a jug of distilled water.
Carry a cellfone, even an old bag fone is great for the extra range.You can always call 911 for help, even if your account is no longer active.
I'm sure others will think of something else for you. It's good you asked~at least you'll have a few options to look over.
During the trip, take freq stops, while you're walking around, touch things on your A/S..like doors latches, even the fastener for the propane tanks. Check your tires by lightly touchin with your fingers to check for tires,wheel bearing overheating.What you're looking for is uniformity in the feel of the tire or wheel temp..
Have a safe trip and, by all means stop often to smell the flowers along the way~:-}
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 09:30 AM   #7
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Exclamation A very handy tool....

I always keep a 7/8 open end wrench handy for removing the propane tanks for refill. I keep mine in the front battery compartment next to the tanks. It doesn't chew up the nut as an adjustbable wrench is apt to do. I also keep a roll of teflon tape on hand to seal the connection.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 07:35 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Glenside , Pennsylvania
I always travel with my heavy duty hydraulic jack. Haven't needed it yet, but I'm sure I will some day!
64GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 08:44 AM   #9

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Re: tools

Quote:
Originally posted by towner7
Eugenie,
several fire extinguisher ( baking soda is good for stove fire).
One of the things I have heard at fire safety seminars is to occasionally take your extinguisher and shake it up. Apparently the typical extinguisher that comes in RV's tend to sit in one position for very long periods of time. The chemical power eventually packs together and will not discharge at a proper rate of flow. I normally pull mine out at least twice a year to shake it up.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 10:16 AM   #10
Contributing Member

12v Air Compressor

I bought a heavy-duty 12v truck air compresser at Academy Surplus. It has an internal fan and can run continuously without overheating. It is a lot sturdier than any I have seen before and this is the first 12v compressor that I have found that will get D-rated tires up to 60# in a reasonable time.

I noticed that Camping World had the same compressor on one of their latest mailouts.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-08-2002, 12:39 PM   #11

Fenton , Missouri
Re: 12v Air Compressor

Quote:
Originally posted by Pahaska
It has an internal fan and can run continuously without overheating.
I just picked up one from Walmart last weekend. It cost $20 and it has an internal fan. Whether it is as heavy duty as the one you found at Camping World is up for question. My old one (no fan) seized this spring when I added 10 lbs. to each tire and put about 15 into the spare. I guess I shouldn't complain since I had that unit for almost 20 years.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-08-2002, 12:53 PM   #12
Contributing Member

Compressor

This one was about $35 at Academy and their prices are very good. It is about twice as big as the usual 12v compressors and has much stronger gear train. It is a lot sturdier than the usual ones that I have found at around $20 and the only one I have found that is rated to run continuously. It will bring a tire up to 60# in no time at all.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-08-2002, 01:06 PM   #13

Fenton , Missouri
Air pump

Hmmm....sounds pretty good. I will probably hang on to the one I have at this point. Usually I'm only doing a 5 lb. or less touch up, so while the unit gets hot it usually is not enough for a melt down. I think the filling of the spare tire and the others was the straw that broke the camel's back. I have never pulled the spare out of its underside storage since I picked up the trailer in May 2001. It was way overdue for a fill. I'll keep better tabs on it in the future.

If I burn this one up I'll keep what you bought in mind.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-08-2002, 02:14 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Pahaska, is that Acadamy a local store or is it on the www? That sounds like a good one.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 02:23 PM   #15
Contributing Member

Academy

I know they are in most larger Texas cities, but I don't know how far they roam outside of Texas.

They started out as a war surplus dealer. Now, they are just about the best place around to get outdoor equipment of all sorts at better prices than national places like Oshmans. There are several Academy stores in Austin.

You might try a net search for "AAcademy Surplus".
WBCCI #9632