Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Coyote Ranch Resort, Wichita Falls, Tx

We stayed at this campground this weekend and thought i would share my thoughts.

Technically it's in Clay County, about 4-5 miles east of Downtown Wichita Falls, but close enough so that you can be anywhere in town in about 15 minutes if you should desire.

The campground has 123 sites, all concrete and if ours was any indication, completely level. The sites are split about equally between back-ins, and two sizes of pull throughs.

We camped in an 80 foot pull through so had plenty of room for the AS and the Tundra with plenty of room to spare.

Sites are divided by nice grassy areas, and while not spaced as much as you would find in a state park setting, we didn't feel cramped and probably wouldn't have if it had been cool enough to sit outside and enjoy the evenings.

Our site for $40 a night included electricity, water, sewer and cable television as well as morning trash pickup at each site. A limited 20 channel package, but did have an ESPN and USA, and several others. Additionally, the ranch is on a hilltop so the local stations are accessible via antenna with good signal. When I made reservations, they asked if I had Good Sam and could have got a discount for that, but when I checked in, I forgot to ask for it and wasn't asked if I had a Good Sam membership.

The resort has two swimming pools, very nice shower/laundry facilities with individual suites with large shower, commode and lavatory. There are also meeting facilities, a wedding chapel and cabins to rent.

Staff is friendly and helpful.

If you find yourself near WF as night draws near this would be a good place to stop or if you have reason to be visiting WF, a good place to stay.

Only downside that I saw was that because it is brand new, what trees they have planted offer no shade at this point, but when mesquite is the most predominant tree outside the city limits, that is to be expected.
The other thing that might put some folks off would be the clear warnings about rattlesnakes, but sitting on a hilltop in North Texas one would expect the occasional rattler might wander in, we did not see any, but didn't go looking either.

The signs say it's a working ranch but other than a pickup truck headed back from feeding in the morning and four or five miniature horses, not sure how "working" it is but will say that it is a very well designed and thought out campground/resort especially if you like rustic cowboy with all the modern conveniences.

We feel like this would be a really nice campground for fall/early spring camping when the weather wasn't to hot. Each site also has a metal fire ring, although there was a burn ban in effect.

Would estimate that the park was approximately half full while we were there, which is good considering it was Labor Day weekend and it was hot!

Access is pretty easy off of US 287 but headed North you have to exit, cross overpass and then re-enter287 headed south before exiting again to get to Resort. Coming from the north it's an easy exit that takes you right to the campground entrance.

Mod's feel free to edit this if I have unknowingly made any review faux pas'

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
Wichita Falls, Tx

Lake Arrowhead State Park is hard to beat for the area
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher24 View Post
Lake Arrowhead State Park is hard to beat for the area

We used to camp at Arrowhead in the pop up camper days and my parents used to go there in their Class C. It's a good destination park if you need the lake and love the feel of the North Texas prairie with mesquite. But for a one or two day stopover on the way through the area, Arrowhead is a bit out of the way.

There are also a couple other opportunities in Wichita Falls including a short stay campground just off I-44 that the city runs. It's right on the highway so it's convenient but also a bit exposed.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote