Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2022, 06:21 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
2007 27' Safari FB SE
1995 25' Excella
Woodbine , Georgia
I could not imagine visiting N. California and missing Hwy. 1. Having to drive slow and with care is a bad thing?
gamakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 08:16 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Wow. This road should certainly be on the bucket list. My wife and I just finished a three week trip to see Vinnie’s and drove the northern half of the road. 2006 Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi and a 2019 30’ Classic. No white knuckle driving. It was beautiful! We stayed in Mendocino and then in Eureka on the beach. I’d do it again in a heartbeat.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 02:30 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Just a few last bike comments. First is they are always SB with the wind at their back. Many have started in Astoria, some further up into WA but most are headed for San Diego via Hwy 1/PCH. I have never seen a NB rider. Second, CalTrans and i presume ODot/DubDot have engineered for this in the road profile and have paved the SB lane 3' wider if memory serves to account for the bike traffic in the summer.

So NB you have no bike traffic to share the lane with and SB, for the less than 1% of the time you do encounter bike traffic you have some additional AC.

Pullouts, while not at every bend, are abundant and generally larger, albiet often crowded. The two major switchbacks in the Sonoma Co/Mendo Co sections at Rollerball junction & Russian Gultch to Meyers Grade are tight but do offer good up road views to gauge traffic at the switchback, but also have huge shoulders to swing wide on if needed. Mostly used by the longer TT so their tail doesn't drag due to the steep grade.

Again semi's use this road all day long.

Enjoy the road!
Old 06-25-2022, 11:19 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
I have to think that for many of the comments about this road not being bad, and that it is a pretty drive are confused about where on Highway 1 we are talking about. After Leggett and then down to the ocean on Highway 1. It is simply switchback after switch back and there is NO view. It is just trees and more trees. Somebody said don't go 80 mph - they are obviously talking about Highway 1 when you get to the ocean part. So - for those that have not driven it - Be warned the northern part of 1 IS a NUCKLE drive. Ignore those who say it isn't!!!! and there are virtually no pullouts in this section.
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 11:39 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Correct, all the way to Hardy by the ocean. Horrible for a trailer.

Also think about the main crop that grows in that section the coast.

Call the CHP office in Garberville and ask them what they think. I am sure it will be an interesting response.
WellSaid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:51 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders79 View Post
I have to think that for many of the comments about this road not being bad, and that it is a pretty drive are confused about where on Highway 1 we are talking about. After Leggett and then down to the ocean on Highway 1. It is simply switchback after switch back and there is NO view. It is just trees and more trees. Somebody said don't go 80 mph - they are obviously talking about Highway 1 when you get to the ocean part. So - for those that have not driven it - Be warned the northern part of 1 IS a NUCKLE drive. Ignore those who say it isn't!!!! and there are virtually no pullouts in this section.

Again, perhaps it depends on your comfort level while towing. We just drove it in a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi pulling a 30’ Classic. We drove the northern part ( north of San Francisco till it dumps you on 101). The drive was beautiful and there is more than just the ocean to see. We stopped in Mendocino/Fort Bragg for two days. I’d have been REALLy bummed if I had listened to this advice and found out later what I missed. And Yes, there are indeed pullouts along the way. We pulled over several times to let the 18 wheelers who were in a hurry go around us. There aren’t many pullouts but neither were other drivers pushing us. Just enjoy the drive.
Old 06-26-2022, 08:55 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
I think he was talking about the portion from the ocean @ Hardy to Leggett (and vice versa) on Hwy 1 only as being really, really bad for a trailer.
Old 06-26-2022, 12:33 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
2007 27' Safari FB SE
1995 25' Excella
Woodbine , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
Again, perhaps it depends on your comfort level while towing. We just drove it in a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi pulling a 30’ Classic. We drove the northern part ( north of San Francisco till it dumps you on 101). The drive was beautiful and there is more than just the ocean to see. We stopped in Mendocino/Fort Bragg for two days. I’d have been REALLy bummed if I had listened to this advice and found out later what I missed. And Yes, there are indeed pullouts along the way. We pulled over several times to let the 18 wheelers who were in a hurry go around us. There aren’t many pullouts but neither were other drivers pushing us. Just enjoy the drive.
Well said--we've done this stretch 4 times and never experienced any problems or "white knuckle" driving. Bad weather could be a problem but any other time is ok. We like to get on 1 at Point Reyes Station-have lunch at Mendocino (no drugs)-join 101 at Leggett. This 182 miles is American beauty at its best. We then continue on 101 400+ miles to Lincoln City, OR (coastal views-small towns-great food). 600 miles of costal beauty and enjoyment.
gamakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 03:48 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Again, ONLY talking about the 22 miles from Leggett to Hardy.

See for yourself:

https://youtu.be/LdcEL_BGbA8
Old 06-26-2022, 03:54 PM   #30
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
It's all doable. Just keep an eye out for oncoming logging trucks. They don't slow down and use the whole lane.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 04:07 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellSaid11 View Post

See for yourself:

I guess folks read it differently. The OP recommends Hwy 20 as I did in #12 with 20 as the ticket for those continuing NB on to 101 or those SB and looking to jump over to the part of hwy 1 that most folks think or hear of as hwy 1 nor cal. Road reviews need to specific and hwy 1 nor cal is IMO pretty general.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:58 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
If someone was was to say, turning left onto hwy 12 in nor calif, is impossible, i would first ask, is that hwy 12 in sonoma co during the crush or Hwy 12 in Lodi, during the crush. Hwy 1 in nor cal, presuming you believe Santa Cruz is in nor cal(which i do) is possibly of similar in length to the nor cal portion of hwy 12.
Old 06-28-2022, 02:47 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Hwy 1 from a different angle

I have always been interested in maps and aerial photo's so in 2002 when I first heard of this website I spent a fair amount of time exploring.

When this thread was revived, I thought I'd do some surfing...https://www.californiacoastline.org/?

You can search for a location but need to be pretty specific. You can also click on 1 or 10 images and work your way, all the way from SD to the OR border. Note the time comparison button. Images (in our case) back to 1972. As the website intended, you can see the development of the coast line over a series of run's up the coast.

Hardy Rock where Hwy 1 NB heads inland through lush ferns and abundant redwoods: Note the large 5th wheeler had apparently just survived the Leggett to Hardy Rock leg and is pulled over onto a sizeable pullout.

https://www.californiacoastline.org/...gs=0&year=2002

(the secrete) Bowling Ball Beach just S of PA (PT Arena)...Tom Dorn post I believe.

https://www.californiacoastline.org/...gs=0&year=2009

Stump Beach at Kruse Ranch Rd. The end of the coastal leg of my daily commute from sea ranch. TSR thru Stewart's Pt to Stump Beach just short of Salt Point. Almost void of trees with a coastal view best described as stunning.

https://www.californiacoastline.org/...gs=0&year=2005

Salt Point SP (and Gerstle Cove) this link was a time comparison selection as it I presume via satellite. That way you can see the entire Salt Point in one image. Dramatic IMO. An incredible hike.

https://www.californiacoastline.org/.../199300158003- scroll down a few lines and click on the image (high res)

High Point in reference to PKI's (Pat's) post re his avatar at that time. This is the high point of Hwy 1 (coined by O-Dot I believe during the hwy 1 rebuild project around 2000). This is where the San Andreas fault (the reason for all the slides) returns to land and continues as the Gualala River N for a bit.

https://www.californiacoastline.org/...gs=0&year=2005

I hope this website allows you all to experience the true hwy 1 Nor Cal coast.

Happy Trails
Old 06-28-2022, 03:11 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

We were just in this area this weekend. We went from Jenner south to Marshall for oysters at Hog Island. We've travelled this road many times.

Note that Hwy 1 between Jenner and Bodgea Bay is currently under construction at Salmon Creek. They're moving the roadway back from the cliff's edge and building a new bridge. Expect delays, especially on the weekends.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 03:55 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Shucks at Hog Island. Dreamland! Tough duty but someone has to volunteer

Even in MO, i saw that on the news. I'm surprised those 2 houses are still there. They were hanging by a thread in the 80's.

Happy trails propchef
Old 06-28-2022, 05:03 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
It's been maybe 15 years since I've been on that part of 1. I just looked at the CCRP image of that section. More homes than I remember. Very sad for those homeowners.
Old 06-28-2022, 05:59 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:

See for yourself:

I must be missing something. We drove CA 1 starting as San Francisco, heading north until its terminus in Leggett. (With a two day stop in Mendocino.) yes, as we climbed out of the coast, starting in Rockport, there were lots of hairpin curves, but nothing that caused concern. Easily drivable in a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 w/5.7 Hemi pulling a 2019 Classic 30 RBQ. I do have a ProPride so maybe that was the difference? It certainly wasn't white knuckle driving, just slow at times. If there were no pullouts, the traffic behind either sped around us at will or patiently waited. Seriously, it wasn't a bad drive.

What blew my mind was how 101 can be a 4 lane highway and then all of a sudden it's a two lane country road. then back to being a 4 lane Hwy as we drove north to Eureka.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:25 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
What blew my mind was how 101 can be a 4 lane highway and then all of a sudden it's a two lane country road.
You can thank the Sierra Club and their friends for that.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 07:03 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Quote:
I must be missing something. We drove CA 1 starting as San Francisco, heading north until its terminus in Leggett. (With a two day stop in Mendocino.) yes, as we climbed out of the coast, starting in Rockport, there were lots of hairpin curves, but nothing that caused concern. Easily drivable in a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 w/5.7 Hemi pulling a 2019 Classic 30 RBQ. I do have a ProPride so maybe that was the difference? It certainly wasn't white knuckle driving, just slow at times. If there were no pullouts, the traffic behind either sped around us at will or patiently waited. Seriously, it wasn't a bad drive.

What blew my mind was how 101 can be a 4 lane highway and then all of a sudden it's a two lane country road. then back to being a 4 lane Hwy as we drove north to Eureka.
It isn't that it can't be done, it is just that it is not what "most" people are going to feel very comfortable doing. That video speaks volumes (you can slow it down on YT) and I would expect that most people would not have the same level of comfort as you on that stretch of Hwy 1.

Do a search for "RV Highway 1 Leggett" and you will see way more than a dozen threads of people saying what they think about pulling a trailer or running an MH on it on rv.net, irv2.net and rvforum, etc.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:56 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
It isn't that it can't be done, it is just that it is not what "most" people are going to feel very comfortable doing.
I wouldn't say most but some surely.

The problem i have is the heading and alluding the last 5% of a NB route accurately represents the entire route especially since hwy 20 to Willits is the solution for those towing for a living or those who prefer a little less steering wheel action. I like Hardy, especially the redwoods and the ferns, but prefer 20.

I suspect some folks will take Beware hwy 1 nor cal literally and say approaching Petaluma/101 and say...i'll just stay on 101 to ave if the giants.

They would miss, IMO, the most beautiful and accessible part of the CA coast. Certainly not in the Wally spirit