Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2015, 03:27 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Are these tires safe?

Good info all. I want tires that would allow me to run 70 mph. Don't mind moving from GYM to Michelin, but is it really necessary to upgrade from 15" to 16"? If can stay with 15" wheel, which Michelin should I upgrade to?
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:07 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
Good info all. I want tires that would allow me to run 70 mph. Don't mind moving from GYM to Michelin, but is it really necessary to upgrade from 15" to 16"? If can stay with 15" wheel, which Michelin should I upgrade to?
If my trailer weighed over 8k I would switch to 16" wheels.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:52 AM   #23
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Speed Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
There is some provision in the GoodYear Marathon use guide or a letter somewhere for increased speed above the normal 65 MPH restriction. The Maxis 15" ST tires are rated at speeds above 65 MPH.

There is one 15" Michelin tire that may be suitable. It is a P metric LTX M/S2 P235/75/15 108T (118 MPH) XL. It has a derated load capacity of 1985lbs. The same weight capacity as a load range C LT tire of the same size. You would be going down in weight carrying capacity from the original GYMs. There are people using this tire on a trailer of similar size and weight as yours. You would need careful consideration of individual wheel position loads. I use this tire on my trailer with a GVWR of 7,100lbs.

A high weight capacity 15" tire is the GoodYear Cargo G26 225/70/15 112R (106 MPH) load range D. 2,470 lbs at 65 PSI.

Good luck with your decision in tires. Just know that whatever you decide, someone here will think it is a great decision, while others will think it is a horrible decision.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:59 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
60psi for speeds up to 65. 70psi if you intend to run over 65 mph is what i read. funny how the folks post these horror stories but never follow thru with just what they were doing at the time. as was noted several times, abusing a tire in the past will catch up with you in the future. without knowing just why a tire failed, i will simply stick with what AS put on the trailer. i have to assume they knew what they were doing in the first place. from that point on, its up to me to make sure inflation is correct and i am driving at a reasonable and prudent speed for the rubber i have on the road and that i have not overloaded the trailer. i have also read that at about 6 years of age, you should be suspect as the sidewalls start to loose some flexibility. of course this is all dependent on how you care for your tires, covered when outside, or stored inside away from the damaging sun.
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote