Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Mt Shasta , California
Airstream to Alaska

We just bought a 25' flying cloud and we want to do the trip to Alaska.....asking for feedback
MRey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
So...go! You will have the time of your life. Many, Many threads here about going to Alaska.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
My dream trip!! Go for it!!!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:15 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Mt Shasta , California
Milepost seems to be the guide to have but should we get a camping book as well?
Old 02-17-2013, 02:53 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via ICQ to slpiotro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRey View Post
Milepost seems to be the guide to have but should we get a camping book as well?
We went on the Caravan, it was a good time. The Milepost is a little difficult to figure out at first, but once you get the hang of it, it is great. If you dry camp at all, the great thing about Alaska is all the public land available. In general, if it doesn't have camping restrictions posted, you can generally camp along the roads, rivers etc. So much land owned by the Nat. Forest Service, National Parks, Bureau of Land Management, etc. There are lots of private campgrounds also, but they are often filled with caravans of motorhome and other groups. It depends on what you are comfortable with. Do not expect that your computer and phone service will be fast and or regular. Plan ahead, but enjoy the wildness of the country, one of the last places left like it.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
My suggestion is to go on the WBCCI caravan in 2014. We went in 2008 and it was a great trip. For me it would be a long, lonely drive on our own.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Mt Shasta , California
Thank you ....

The other book we r looking at is the "travelers guide to Alaskan Camping" . Seem to be a great guide for all types of camping. Hs anyone used it?
Also.....seems mud flaps a a must on the truck and have read that others use some kind of protection on the front of the AS to avoid ricocheting rocks? Is this a must and what is the best way to handle this?
Old 02-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
There is danger from gravel. The road is paved but with frost heaved gravel sections waiting for there summer repair. We had about 8 chipped windsheilds amount the 34 rigs on the caravan. You may go slow but the trucks do not. It is a small gravel that hits like a shotgun pattern. We covered all the windows on the highway side with thin plexiglas glazing from HD. Used Al tape and the windows still open. I think that saved us a window judging from the gravel dings on the plastic. We were told to, and did, to cover all the copper gas lines with slotted garden hose and wire ties. I screwed some Al plates to guard tre water entrance and the water drain. We used a set of Rock Tamer flaps mounted on the hitch bar. Some people mounted guards made from pvc pipe on the trailer tounge. There was a pile of them for free left by returnees at the campground in Prince George that we left from. I was afraid of the makeshift guard doing more damage than the gravel. We had no tire trouble. There were people who had flats. They use a gravel that looks like arrowheads in some of the pull offs. Tires are available in many locations and you could get one delivered almost any where by bus. I carried one each for trailer and TV. Many days in a row without phone service so you need to be somewhat self sufficient. As a group we had the deparkers running in behind each day so there was some help if a problem. We had one trailer totaled by an animal strike, one axle failure, and one MH that never quite but spent a day in every large shop we passed looking for an intermittent problem.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Check out the various threads on this website by searching Alaska and also check out RV.net forums, they have a RVing in Canada and Alaska forum. Some of these discuss rock protection. Any more I just don't worry about it. If I was bound and determined to haul my AS on the Dalton or similiar road I'd go with a full width mud flap mounted at the rear bumper of my truck and call it good. In my opinion there is not much you can do about rocks from oncoming vehicles. Oh, do make sure you have comprehensive coverage on tow vehicle, windshield replacement can get expensive.

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
We are making our first drive to Alaska this summer. We have flown to Anchorage and rented an SUV and stayed in motels as we toured. The Milepost seems to be almost universally recommended and I second that. I have already purchased Church's book you mentioned. I also have Ron Dalby's Guide to the Alaska Highway. The latest edition of Church's book is 2011 but he has a web site with updates since publication. Another source you might like to look at is the forum on rv.net which has site specific threads and one of those is Canada/Alaska. Enjoy your trip. I intend to enjoy mine.
afneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Mt Shasta , California
aF.....are you doing anything special to prep the AS for the Alaska trip? Will check out RV.net.....thanks
Old 02-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
MRey,
Just pretty much the recommended stuff, tow insurance, checking out tow vehicle, etc. I am putting flaps on my TV to help contain gravel from the rear wheels. I have put new tires on the AS and new batteries on it. I also have a Wilson signal booster to try to aid in phone service. There is a group on rv.net Alaska 2013, that while not traveling together, have formed a rather loose coalition with home made signs to indicate who they are. I signed up for that. Under adverse circumstances, having some connection would be better than no association. If I think of any thing else I will post. I have been reading and surfing a lot.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
MRey,
The group on rv.net is Roll Call Alaska 2013. I looked at my notes and other things that need to be handled would be to make sure your auto insurance is good in Canada and proof that it is, cell service is covered in Canada so you are not charged roaming charges, health insurance is in effect in Canada and take your passport. Car title and AS title needs to be with you and any prescriptions you need should be in sufficient quantities for the trip and should be in the prescription bottle. If you plan to carry a gun you should prepare in advance and be familiar with what is required and what is permitted. Most of this and more can be gleaned from the publications available. If you are taking a pet, that needs to be addressed. Just rambling now. Good luck.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Mt Shasta , California
Thanks AF.....yes we r taking a pet. I know we need her rabies certificate. We always carry out passports. Keep the tips coming
Old 02-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Thank you ....

The other book we r looking at is the "travelers guide to Alaskan Camping" . Seem to be a great guide for all types of camping. Hs anyone used it?
Also.....seems mud flaps a a must on the truck and have read that others use some kind of protection on the front of the AS to avoid ricocheting rocks? Is this a must and what is the best way to handle this?
LT tires and not ST tires may be in your future as well. Dive into the "tires" section for a while.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Mt Shasta , California
ST NOT LT....not sure what you mean.....
Old 02-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
This our blog from last year. Hal and Terri's Great Alaska Adventure

It was the trip of a lifetime. We went early, leaving May 11, returning July 2.

Pros:
Greatly reduced traffic
No competition for campgrounds
No Mosquitos
No crowds anywhere
Snow, The snow in the mountains was beautiful, providing contrasts and spectacular views. Later in the year, the snow is mostly gone.

Cons:
Weather, we did catch a snow storm
Some RV parks were closed
Some wildlife still in hibernation
Too early for most fishing, although we did bring home a lot of Halibut and Cod
Some Provincial parks just starting to open

There were no issues with food or fuel. Plenty of places to get both. We did get stuck twice because storms had damaged the road. However, I can't think of a better way to be trapped in such a beautiful area. While a caravan can make life easy, we just didn't want to be with 50 or 75 trailers. Our timing was perfect. I would do it again at the same in a heart beat. The planning is not that difficult and most of the time we did not have reservations. WiFi can be spotty and most RV parks use modified home systems rather than a commercial grade system. But we still we able to stay in communication. Wish I had more time but we are on our way back from the Mardi Grais rally. You will love it and remember as the trip of a life time.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Mt Shasta , California
Thank you for the info....and yes....we are not much for traveling with a group of trailers. We like to follow our own path and see where it takes us.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Here's a timely article-

Alaska RVing Guide - CampingRoadTrip.com
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
Old 02-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
ST NOT LT....not sure what you mean.....

Go to the "Tires" threads on this forum and you will find a great many folks dumping their ST trailer tires for LT-light truck tires due to the vast number of blow outs on the 10 ply ST tires. I just made the switch from 15" ST tires that came with our Classic S/O, to a full set of 16" with Michelin MS-2's E rated. You might read some of those posts for future reference.

Pap
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT