Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Delaware City , Delaware
Bambi freshwater plans

Hello there. I'm interested in removing the original freshwater tank, pump and pipes in my 1963 Bambi and replacing them with a more modern system.

Is there anyone out there that has done this and is willing to share their plans?

Thanks much! ... Deldog
Deldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I have done it once and working on doing it again and adding 2 fresh tanks. First figure out where you want the tank. We have one where the original is. (under the front couch) soon to be queen bed. The one i'm going to put in will be in the frame in front of the axels. This will become our main one and the other one will be filled when we get to camp. 2 of our week long plus trips are places that don't have water hook up or dump at the camp site.

My tank under the couch is a 40 gal. and the other will be 26 gal. My old grey tank, that i put in behind the axles is also 40 gal. I am also planing on putting another grey tank between the axles and this one will be a 30 gal. These two tanks will be plumed together. the water tanks will not. I will put in valves to choose which tank I want to use.

When we redid the pluming we used PEX, bought a crimping tool for $25 and never have had a leak. Plus if any water is left in the line, freezing doesn't blow it out..

With 4 girls including my wife and me and my son. I get tiered of going to dump and fill up with water every 2-3 days. This will solve that problem..

I will only ever drive with water in one tank and dump before leaving camp. 60 gals of water sloshing around doesn't sound great, and it's heavy..

You can go on-line to find tanks is all sizes and shapes or figure out the size you want and call your local RV guy to get you one. They have fresh water tanks and also grey/black tanks that have outlets on them. You can get outlets put on where you want. Some online stores will put them on for free.. Or included in the price.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Here are two sites I'm getting my new tanks from

Page 4 - RV Holding Tanks
Ronco Plastics - Marine Water Tanks, RV Water Tank, Auto Detail Tanks, Water Tanks

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:03 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Delaware City , Delaware
Thank you, Jason. That's great info. Good luck with your latest project.

Anyone else?
Deldog is offline   Reply With Quote