Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Edmond , Oklahoma
Avion Whale #3 "Overhaul"

Vintage Kin members,

I am following VeggieBullet's detailed account of his Whale resurrection by overhauling my Whale (#3). The process will go much easier thanks to the comprehensive post by the members throughout the resurrection. - Thanks for the super effort.

Advice/guidance for repairing rotted floors and old sealants will be appreciated during the overhaul.

I will be in the market for a 6500-7000 watt Onan to replace the original 4000 genset.

Paint and some fiberglass work will be on wishlist along with some new aluminium wheels and tires.

Follow along if you will and hopefully the end result will benefit the next Whale owner.

AvaWhale
AvaWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:36 AM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
We look forward to your efforts, and thanks for the plans to put them on display. The rig is unique. I was looking at one parked at a business jus the other day not far out from Corpus Christi. There never were many and all of them are now "survivors".

On your ONAN: Have you checked clearances for ventilation and mount strength for an increase in size of the generator? That tends to be a fair jump in size & weight in re capacity (I'd want to do the same). Will there be an effect on pin weight? Same for propane consumption increases.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Edmond , Oklahoma
Slowmover,

The trailer in the CRP area maybe the same one on this forum and referred to as Whale #2.

If it I'd the same one, it has undergone the retrofit for a 6500 Onan by AllRite RV Center of Rockport.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Looking forward to pictures, are you going to continue with this thread, or start a new one?

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Edmond , Oklahoma
No sure yet -still trying to figure the process out
Old 05-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Edmond , Oklahoma
#3 Whale overhaul

It has been slow going recently with no time to work on the trailer plus weather in OKC has caused shift in priorities for the time being.

My family was extremely fortunate to not have any harm or damage but we pray for those affected. I will be back on the project soon and will post updates and photos.

AvaWhale
Old 05-23-2013, 04:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
Good morning AvaWhale
Glad to hear that you and your family are fine and we will keep the affected on our prayers.
Can't wait to see some pics or your trailer here. We need to catch up with our "resurrection" thread and update some pics as well.
Will try to follow this thread closely.
2 chronicles 7:14
VeggieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Edmond , Oklahoma
Update:
I finally had the opportunity to work on the "Whale" which is affectionately known as "Ava the Whale" by my kids. This weekend's work was to locate the source of roof leak(s) and start removing the old seam goop that has been generously applied over the past 23 years.

Here is "Ava's" back story:
I bought the trailer from the original owner about 4 years ago in Grove, Oklahoma. We brought the trailer back to Houston, Texas and used it regularly at the family farm. We installed campground style electrical and water service for comfort and convenience. Minor repairs have been made, including replacing one air conditioner and repairing random plumbing leaks. The trailer is now back in North Oklahoma City, OK where we now reside. I have it under covered storage and able to start the overhaul process with less concern of weather delays.

Time and budget seem to be the limiting factors but I look forward to the journey and finished product.

Ava is partnered with a 1996 Ford F350 Crew cab Dually named "Jonah". "Captain Ahab" was considered but "Jonah" had a positive ring and good biblical principal so the name stuck. The truck/trailer combo pulls like a dream with a Pullrite "SuperFifth" hitch securing the two.

Features: The trailer was equipped with washer/dryer combo and 4K Onan genset. The original selling price was a few dollars short of $58,000 in early 1990. That is a lot on money back then and even now.
Upgrades:
We have upgraded the shore power from 30A to 50A which allows both air conditioners to run at the same time. The genset will eventually be upgraded to 6.5K or larger Onan.

Required work:
The majority of the main floor has decayed and requires replacing. It appears to be a combination of dry rotting, a/c and perhaps roof seam leaks. I am in the process of removing the old caulking and prepping for eternabond tape to prevent further decay. I do have condensation entering the trailer when the a/c's are running. If you have pointers, please share then. Pictures and how-to's would be great.

Goals of the overhaul:
I hope to get the trailer in such a condition that all systems work efficiently, according to OEM design and look great. The greater goal is to use the trailer extensively and make memories while my kids are still interested in camping.

I welcome any and all advice, input and motivation to get to the end result.

Be patient with the posts as family and travel commitments limit hands on time.

AvaWhale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0753.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	189022   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0188.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	189023  

Name:	IMAG1085.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	189024   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1088.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	189025  

Old 06-28-2013, 04:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
greetings AvaWhale!
Interesting history about the names for the truck and trailer!!
Your trailer looks great!
Where is the picture from the subfloor from? looks like like the strip in the entrance between the bathroom wall and the slide out.
DO NOT BE AFRAID of going to the roof if causing damage is your concern, it will hold you just fine. But if you are really worry about it, just step on the "ribs" or place a 2x10 and walk on it and stay away from the end curves. Other than that you will be fine.
Again, great looking trailer! keep the pictures flowing! and let us know if we can help in any way.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:55 AM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Features: The trailer was equipped with washer/dryer combo and 4K Onan genset. The original selling price was a few dollars short of $58,000 in early 1990. That is a lot on money back then and even now.

$110,000 conservatively. As a few more features would be addded, I'd imagine it would be even higher.

I have the single component SPLENDIDE w/d aboard my 35' and can find no "bad" things to be said about it. I recommend a search of lewsters posts on this subject as a single component certainly takes up less room than a pair (I'd also re-open one of those threads and PM him for a response to whether a single is desirable over a pair.)

Sure is nice to have a generator aboard. Would like to see how AVION did that originally (wiring, etc) to understand high end installs. Are you changing to a 6.5 due to propane and altitude de-rates?

Mine also came with solar. Is this part of your plans? (I have a lot of 'EVENTUALLY[s]" on mine)

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Edmond , Oklahoma
VeggieBullet,

Thanks for the encouragement. I did walk on the top but held by breath the first step. I did not bend or put a hole in the roof.

The floor repair was by the front door and accomplished last summer. It was a must do but will be reworked when the entire floor is completed. I have removed half of the flooring in the bathroom and chasing the leak back to the roof. It seems to be coming in by the shower vent stack. There is water damage on the top shelf of the closet around the stack. Did yours have any issues in this area?

More photos later -

AvaWhale
Old 06-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Edmond , Oklahoma
The washer/dryer combo is a Haier (sp) brand and I have not figured out how to use it.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Edmond , Oklahoma
Overhaul Whale #3

Here are some photos of the 4K Onan and the Haier(sp) washer/dryer. If you know the trick to getting the w/d to work please send me a message.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0205.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	332.2 KB
ID:	189551   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0224.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	189552  

Name:	IMAG0865.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	189553   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0145.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	189554  

Old 07-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Edmond , Oklahoma
No work on Available this weekend but had a lot of fun with the family. Work will resume soon and updates will be posted.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
good family time its very important.
Very curious about the 50Amp set up on yours. We are really thinking about it.
Hopes Ava is doing well!
Old 07-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Edmond , Oklahoma
Work on Ava is slow this month but using the time to plan the floor repair. I have gone back and forth on the best method but go back close to original but adjust the thickness of underlay to allow for 5/8 or 3/4 top deck.

I have not removed the refrigerator yet but will get photos of the wiring.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Edmond , Oklahoma
Whale Overhaul #3 August Updates!

Well folks after a lengthy delay, progress has occurred. I was able to get the much needed eternabond tap (2 rolls) and two sets of vent stack caps. I painted the new caps and got them installed. The old seam goop, putty or mystery mix is being removed and the E-tape is being applied. This is a really nice product that is looking like a great investment. At a dollar a foot it is not cheap.

Another challenge to address is a pesky water leak that is coming from the a/c and might be the main seal. If anyone has first experience and advice please pass it on.

More updates to follow and hopefully more frequently.

Thanks for following,

AvaWhale
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0007.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	193994   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0014.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	193995  

Name:	IMAG0016.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	193996   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0020.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	193997  

Old 08-25-2013, 05:46 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
greeting AvaWhale
wow...that is a clean roof! look how shinny...I'm jealous.
What did you use as far as caulking?
Same issue here with the AC leaking, replaced the seal in the front unit and problem solved.
Hopes this help
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ac-106165.html
Old 08-25-2013, 07:08 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Looking Good!!!!!!!!

My roof looked like that when I first redid it. Now several years later, it gets black junk all over it. I don't know if it's airbourne pollutants or what. It's amazing the junk that comes off when I scrub it annually...

see ya,
Old 09-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Edmond , Oklahoma
Update: removed a section of rotten bathroom floor. There is more to remove but progress is the right direction.

Busy the next 3 weeks so work time will be limited.

Veggiebullet - I will be in contact, got some questions.

AvaWhale
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0081.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	195197   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0103.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	195198