Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Highland , Utah
Anyone install a bathroom in a trailer that never had one?

Hi again
It's me who still does not know what she has.
In travel trailer speak naturally. I am hoping I will discover shortly and if not it won't matter.

I am trying to figure out what to do, redo, undo etc. inside the trailer.
It has 4 possible beds. two are part of the shape the double overhangs are both bed areas, the 2 the front one is permanently a bed fit for two if you like to touch,
The back has a push-back bunk that is half way into the cabin when not in use (do not know how else to say that)it does not fold the extended part of the bunk slides under the mattress and back,= push back tee hee
the kitchen table can drop down and become a bench under the front bunk and there is a push back couch bed under the back bunk.

There is a small closet by the door and across from that a counter with a sink, a stove and oven combo and a fridge.

Okay so here is the rub..if I want to use her as a cabin for the multitudes of kids in the house then I keep all of the beds and just haul around all the other stuff in the hauling vehicle. and hope for a loo or dig a hole. just kidding, I won't dig a hole.

If I want to take long trips and/or stay out in the wilderness for extended lengths of time with the only child in the house that is just mine,
and not take any of the other 9, or any other adults -
then I want to change things and have a few more comfy sittin places and maybe my own loo.

What this is about I suppose is if I can put in a loo then I will and go from there if it is not feasible then that will help decide too.
I'll have to get a canned ham for 1 or build one on the frame in the yard
So...anyone done it?
and how do I link my threads or do I post my pics on each thread I start or just do an album???

gotta go -every other word is a jumble and my fingers are swollen. time for this vintage me to sleep for a change.

thanks for all of your support and for any jibes, comments -ya know all of it.
vintagecaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Hi,

On the bathroom, it all depends on how complicated you want to make it. There are celebrity Airstream restorers who use a simple cassette-style toilet and do not have their loo plumbed to any outside valve, they just manually empty the cassette into a toilet when it gets full. To do something like this, you just need to create a "closet" for some privacy, and you are done. If you want to create a bathroom, with a sink and shower, and plumbed toilet, then of course, it gets much more complicated, but anything can be done with time and money!

I don't know of any way to link threads, besides copying and pasting in the address of your other threads into the text of a posting. If you attach pics to individual posts, then they won't form an album. Lots of people host their pictures in other spaces (ie., Picasaweb), so that they can be managed from there.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Highland , Utah
I do not know what a cassette type toilet is I will be looking that up! I was looking at the composting toilets and they are groovy but a bit out of my budget for now, i was looking into wet baths and out door showers, my 14 year old will "GO WITHOUT FOREVER" if her only choice is an outside shower shower are looking to put one inside...Thanks It is a loving work in progress. I am on my way to the store to buy a new keyboard, the cockatiel apparently put too much into this one it types like i was dyslexic..my kids all are so i know but i am not just the keyboard. while I am out I think I willl look into shower options. yay, the walls are not out yet and i am spending money
vintagecaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
You really have it pretty easy, as I saw pictures of your trailer, and it has straight walls. So you can buy an entire shower cabinet and pan from a home improvement big-box store, and drop it right in without too much trouble. The hard part will be getting it plumbed, but again, you can go quick and dirty, or get elaborate (install a grey water holding tank, etc).

A cassette type toilet is one of those that is kind of cubic in shape with an upper and lower half. The upper half has the seat and bowl, and serves as the water reservoir. The lower half separates from the upper, and houses the valve that you open to let waste go down, and essentially, it is just a small black tank. So you use the toilet, the bowl is rinsed by the fresh water from the upper reservoir, and when the lower black tank gets full, you haul it off to the pit toilets or dump station and empty it out. These can be fairly cheap, <$100, or quite sophisticated and expensive.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote