Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2003, 09:19 AM   #1
pap

Question Curtain Valance Information

My Excella has valances to hide the curtain track. They are faced with a strip of the interior aluminum. For whatever reason there is no mention of them in my Repair and Service Manual or my Owners Manual. I wonder what else is not in there?

The endcaps (one RH and one LH) are made of chintzy plastic and the screw tabs are long busted.
Are these available and does anyone have the part numbers?

Also was there factory installed lighting hidden above the valance (still behind the facing? If so was it 12 volt or 115/120 volt?
My trailer has some flourescent tubes lying up there that were probably after market which are 110s.

Were there factory valances used in other places in Airstreams, other than in the front areas?

I was surprised that there has been no questions regarding valances before. It appears to me that people have a tendency to grasp them when getting up or walking around in lounge area. The end caps then easily break.
pap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 10:12 AM   #2

We have an International Land Yatch 1974 with the same valances as you.
We did not bother to replace the screw tabs (if I think I know what you are talking about - the ones wich prevent the curtains from running off the end of the tracks?). Being hidden, we just put either small "binders clips" or very small clamps- less than 2" long.
The front "room" is the only place we have those. No lighting behind them.

You'll be amazed at what is NOT in the book !!!!

We did not have a book for our 1971, so I think we dealt easier with problems. Not faulse info.
We just bought a 1990 Excella and the book has been nearly more useless than useful.
3 out of 4 of the drain valves are not where the book says (still looking for them), the switches, kitchen and bathroom are not as described, the electrical diagrams are not always acurate,....etc...

I think your Excella may have more in commun with our International than with our Excella. They where using - I suppose - same switches, valances,....... We may never know, as we cannot access some more central information
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 11:15 AM   #3
pap

Actually Chantal the end caps are the valance caps. There probably is also some type of actual track channel stop in the curtain track.
These things are ABS and probably about 5" x 4" shaped a little like the end caps on ogee house gutters( not exactly for I already tried the gutter caps to no avail).

I have not checked with Airstream orInland for them since I didn't have a part number.I'll try to improvise a fix before I order part if they are eve still available.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:48 AM   #4

The only ones left are the front ones, protected from damage like the picture shows. The other side are gone.
If it was Mike replacing those, I bet he would use aluminium. We went to a scrap yard, and he bought various scraps just to be able to make repairs, not only on trailers. He likes to work with aluminium, in cases where you can get away with fasteners. He replaced the handle for the stove with an aluminium plate, much more pratical, and nicer feel than the original. Much cheaper, and will last for ever.

That's just my opinion. The part you need may be easy to come by, good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	end cap.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	1842  
Old 03-27-2003, 02:23 PM   #5
pap

That's the one.

Yep that's the one the beige thing. Now what is that snap there for?

Also were you doing yoga or "what" while snapping that pic?
Old 03-27-2003, 04:47 PM   #6

Snaps: white curtains had snaps at the end.

Yoga: pretty close, yes.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:54 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
1974 27' Overlander
Plainfield , Wisconsin
1974 Rear Bed Valance

This is a mighty old thread, but to keep it alive - does anyone know if the rear aluminum extrusion valance is available? It was on the 1974 1975 and 1976 center baths, rear bed models. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1974 31 cb extrusion.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	146175  
UserKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:15 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
Brady , Texas
Yep that end cap is what we are looking for also, has anyone found a place to get them or do we have to get creative and make our own.
mesquitebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesquitebean View Post
Yep that end cap is what we are looking for also, has anyone found a place to get them or do we have to get creative and make our own.
Those end caps are still available.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote