Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2008, 08:01 PM   #1

1970 25' Tradewind
1964 26' Overlander
Longview , East Texas
any gaucho upholsterers

Does anyone know if there is a company who specializes in making new gouchos covers. I have a 64 overlander and I need new foam and fabric. My local upholstery shop quoted me a price that I thought was high.
Abreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abreaux View Post
Does anyone know if there is a company who specializes in making new gouchos covers. I have a 64 overlander and I need new foam and fabric. My local upholstery shop quoted me a price that I thought was high.
I don't. I had mine done locally for abuut $500, not counting materials.

Don't make the mistake I did. Use a light foam. A heavy dense foam may cause the back of the gaucho to slump.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
I didn't have a gaucho in my first AS. I built the frame and then made the cushions. The hardest part was to get the foam supplier to sell me the material. They preferred that I go to a retail seller but this was not practicle and would have been much more expensive. I persisted and explained that the foam was for an AS and they finally cooperated. I used the heavy foam and never regretted it. My units could take the slight increase in weight and the foam gave much better support while sitting and sleeping. I never felt like I was sitting in a bucket.

Buy some fabric, some beading material and zippers and sew your own. This give you a lot of decorative choices and saves a lot of money.

Joe
Alumin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:55 AM   #4
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Are you sure you have a Gaucho in your Airstream?

Gaucho can refer to:
  • Gaucho (Gaścho in Portuguese, Cowboy in English), a word for a South American cattle herder.
Now depending on your gender and marital status this might be a welcome find, of course I would prefer a Goucha or Cowgirl, but neither was found in my Airstream.
I do keep looking though!

• Gauchos are a style of very flowing and loose fitting, flared pants with an elastic waistband, commonly worm by young dancers, but also worn casually.
Again, a young female dancer would have been a nice find. And while some old loose fitting garments were left behind by the previous owners, I think they fell into the category of bloomers.

There was an Ammonia aroma one night, but that turned out to be the refrigerator failing. I did find some cleaners under the sink like
Ajax and bleach, but thankfully no Gaucho.
  • Gaucho, an album by Steely Dan.
While I like Steely Dan, I'm not familiar with this particular album. It has not turned up in the rig.
Clearly this would be pushing the GVW of my 28 foot Excella.
Just the mention of finding a sports team squatting in your Airstream, would undoubtedly, start the Airstream forum on a heated and passionate debate on axle replacement, loading and pre-loading, drum brakes vs disk, beefed up frames, tire pressure, and the 70's.
Of course an astute owner, just by looking at the angle of the torsion suspension, would know that a sports team was lurking in the coach.
Therefore, even if the University of California, Santa Barbara, Gauchos sports team were living in my 28 foot Excella, I'd PM someone first.

GMC Gaucho a mid 70's full-sized van model produced by General Motors
Nope, no 70's full size van was found in or around my rig.
No Portuguese speaking natives of Rio Grande do Sul, popped out of the under bed bins.

No football players fumbled with the wheel chocks.

Renato or Ronaldinho were not found, but a VCR tape of "Nothing but trouble" staring Chevy Chase was discovered wedged between the empty space next to the water heater.
Now, despite my best efforts, Gaucho has not shown up in my Airstream? What I have found is a sofa that folds out into a bed, but after sleeping on it for one night I did wake up a little Gracho?

Good luck on your re-upholstery job!

Michael

Definitions courtesy of Wikipedia

Michael is a fulltime "Artist at Large" living, working and traveling out of his 1995 28 ft. Excella.
MICHAEL JOSEPH DEPRAIDA, An artist at large
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote