Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2006, 05:11 PM   #1

fredericksburg , Texas
santa fe to austin

I am buying a '68' sovereign (30ft.) in Santa Fe and will be towing it back to the Austin area. I am having the bearings greased and am putting tires on it. I've been told I need a hitch weight of about 400-450 lb. / ball height of 19" / electric brake controller and should make sure there is a trans. cooler in the truck that tows it. Should the tires have a certain rating and what else am I missing on the tow. The trailer (at this point) will not be traveling much once it gets here, so it needs to make it OK but not be expected to travel alot after this trip.
Thx.,
Mike
navajomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
The hitch weight for a '68 Sovereign 30' is indeed 415 pounds and the ball height is 19 inches as you were informed; however, there is more than hitch weight to consider. You'll need a vehicle capable of towing the 4640 pound dry weight plus a margin of 500 to 1000#.

You should also have a weight distribution hitch with some sort of sway control device.

Tires are a topic of endless discussion and controversy on these forums. Just make sure you get real trailer tires of the correct size and keep them fully inflated for the trip home. Don't let the boys in Santa Fe convince you that passenger car tires will be fine for one trip.

You mentioned wheel bearings. Make sure they are packed by someone who can inspect the bearings and the spindles as well as the electric trailer brakes.

Hope this helps.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:47 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Goose Creek , South Carolina
I will probadly get flamed for saying this but
weight distribution hitch depends on tow vehicle, I have towed my 31' with my 1 ton dually on ball only for many miles with no problems, for that matter most box trailers get pulled on ball only. It is important not to exceed the hitch that is used and I feel that the running gear is more important, as in brakes, tires ...etc . I hate to admit it but I have pulled without brakes as well.

OK I'm ready fire away
Holzarbeiter is offline   Reply With Quote