Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2005, 02:02 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
Twins or Couches?

Hello all. I have seen many customizations in these fine forums where center-twin owners will convert their "couches" to permanent twin beds.

I'm torn by which way I want to go. I like the twin beds because there is no messing with bedding every night and every morning, and it gives the trailer more of a homey feel; but I like the idea of the two couches because in "live mode" there is more room, and I think I can be more creative in my upholstering endeavors with couches rather than beds.

Those are the pros and cons as I see them. What are they as YOU see them from personal experience?

Issue 2: Our girls sleep in the twin beds and my wife and I sleep on the front couch together (for obvious reasons). The front couch is not quite big enough for the both of us. I don't want to do away with the shelf behind the couch and I don't want to change the dimensions of the "live mode" couch, but I do want to make the "sleep mode" bed bigger by about a foot. Has anyone done this? If yes, can you attach pics to this thread of what it looks like when modified?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Go US Coast Guard!!!

"Keep You're Tin in the Wind"

My Photos
My MySpace!

Rivetedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 02:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
I don't know the exact configuration of the front couch,but here's what I know: This era of airstreams are just wide enough for a queen bed, side to side. Depending on other equipment getting in the way, you could make a small flip out extension on your couch when it is unfolded and then do what we do: put up a queen air bed every night. Yes, yes, you have to tear it down every morning, but I defy anyone to show me a comfier sleeping arrangement in the vintage coaches.

We got a 12 volt model and I made sure a 12 volt plug was installed up front. This way we can inflate it even dry camping. Send me a picture of your couch without the cushions and I'll give you my ideas on how to adapt, if you wish.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 04:53 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Why not?

Why not convert one of the twins to a couch, and leave the other as a bed?
If you did it right, you could use the couch in the day, and open it at night, and theoretically increase your sleeping capacity by one.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:25 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
I'll try to get out there and take some pics of the front couch tonight to show you. I was thinking of some kind of flip-up deal, but I don't want to block the storage below the couch. I may make a loose cushion with a board sewn into it like it has on the mid couch and slip it right above the one that goes under the shelf behind the couch...But how am I going to hold it up when I pull it out and put it on the outer edge? I wouldn't want to mount angle-iron on the walls where you could see it. The wheels are rusty, but they're turning.

As far as the middle, right now it's set up with a bed on one side and a couch on the other. I'm leaning more towards two couches for the room in the daytime. It makes a great play area for the girls on rainy days. I've got to reverse engineer the cushions on the roadside to manufacture a set for the curbside because the curbside is totally missing. I'm going to redo the roadside at the same time though so they're both new. I was thinking of using the "Midnight Sun" material that Airstream is currently using in the Special Edition Safari. I'm even going to get some of the Dragon Fly pillows they've got in there. I really love that color scheme.

Go US Coast Guard!!!

"Keep You're Tin in the Wind"

My Photos
My MySpace!

Rivetedude is offline   Reply With Quote