Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2013, 08:26 PM   #1

1970 29' Ambassador
1989 34' Excella
Grovetown , Georgia
Sanity Check

My wife and I are refurbishing a 34' 1989 Excella. Now that we have the sub-floor repairs complete and the new floor installed, I need to get the DC Electrical fixed/upgraded.
We are replacing the Univolt with an Intelli-power 9200. We are also replacing the fuse box. The PO installed solar panels but no solar charge controller so we're installing a 20 Amp (IN/OUT) MPPT controller. The trailer has two batteries so we will leave them in parallel. We are going to hold off on the inverter for now.

Could I get a second set of eyes on my wiring diagram? Just want to make sure it will be functional and safe.

The DC002 File is my wiring diagram
The DC001 File is the original diagram from the manual
The Fuse Box FIle is the original diagram from the manual

Thank for the help. I've learned a lot reading this forum. Hopefully this will help others as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1989Excella34_DC0002.jpeg
Views:	160
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	202685   Click image for larger version

Name:	1989Excella34_DC0001.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	202686  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1989Excella34_FuseBox.jpeg
Views:	139
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	202687  
PDigiorgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:04 AM   #2
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I see you have a 9 way umbilical plug.... You have 2 conductors there which might be used. The fridge and the teletector circuit. The teletector is an antique flat tire warning system... Basically lights a light on a little box on the dash indicating a low or flat tire. This is a rare feature. It is very simple but works. If your teletector tubes are present and working, you might as well use it. Second is the fridge circuit. This is simply a charge line from your tow vehicle. In my opinion, this is just a big battery killer. If you have a drive which is capable of running on LP go that route.... No hi draw appliance to kill your tow vehicle batteries.
With the 9 pin connector you'll have to wire on on your tow vehicle as well, none come standard with one.
Best of luck. Remember heavier awg wire allows more electrical flow therefore more power where you need it most. Always use fuses or breakers, and lable every change both for yourself and future owners!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:08 AM   #3
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
One more thought. If you want the power light to work you'll need to change things a little to get it to work with the new converter. Search the forums for the destructions on the change. There are 2 options. I have the factory schematic somewhere.... I need to find it on my server rather on this tablet. Makes quick work.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:29 AM   #4

1970 29' Ambassador
1989 34' Excella
Grovetown , Georgia
AtomicNo13, thanks for the help. The 9 plug was replaced by a PO with a 7 plug so I don't have access to those features. The plug is an issue for us. When I towed it home I discovered that the brakes didn't work. I thought it was the wiring at the truck. It wasn't. I discovered a break in the breakaway circuit while prepping this DC layout. Once the DC systems are operational, I will verify the brake functionality.
The POs never documented electical changes so I will definitely keep this updated.
PDigiorgio is offline   Reply With Quote