Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Kitchen fan bench test?

How exactly do I go about bench testing this fan?

Because I have a 63 Overlander the 12 volt dc and 110 ac were originally totally separate systems.

There is a City - Off - Battery switch. I'm guessing here - but when you hooked up at a campground and have it switched to city, the power would come in and be stepped down by a separate transformer to run the fan. When the switch was on battery it would be powered by a different 12 volt line.

Right?

At some point the PO disconnected the 12 volt transformer (that's whats in the picture upper left ( I think?) I'm guessing it doesn't work.

I have no clue how to bench test this! The two black wires are 12volt? Can I use a battery charger? Exactly how do I do this?

Do transformers like this (that step down 110 ac to 12 volt dc) still exist?

I would love to keep this original fan with the ability to work with both systems. The replacement fan from VTS is only 12 volt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040106.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	196270

Name:	P1040110.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	196271
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Two points:

Some of the battery-powered devices in older AS TTs actually ran on 19V. Look into this on yours, since you will never get max performance out of a 12VDC supply if your fan is looking for 19VDC.

And then, even if it does work, it is my experience that those fans are noisy as heck. If you want to be able to talk while it's on, you might have to look for a newer, more quiet 12V fan.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Shelly,

If some of the really old threads on this forum are correct, the fan can run on either 12v DC or 19v AC. Google universal motor to read more -- and close your eyes when you see the maintenance and noise issues.

I didn't trace the wiring for our fan in the '59, but did keep the transformer -- pic attached. The label says:
Grand Transformers, Inc
Benton Harbor, MI

In summary, it sounds like your switch will provide 12 volts DC or 18/19 volts AC to the fan motor -- with either one able to run it. Since AC isn't always on full blast all the time, the two voltages should give you the same power.

If it were mine, I'd hook it up to a 12 v battery. If you need a transformer, you know where to get one.

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	transformer.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	196279  
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Two points:

Some of the battery-powered devices in older AS TTs actually ran on 19V. Look into this on yours, since you will never get max performance out of a 12VDC supply if your fan is looking for 19VDC.

And then, even if it does work, it is my experience that those fans are noisy as heck. If you want to be able to talk while it's on, you might have to look for a newer, more quiet 12V fan.
Thanks Aage, I've done a little more research and it appears this is the case. I'm going to look for a 12v replacement motor I guess! I'd really like to keep the original housing at least!
Old 09-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
Shelly,

If some of the really old threads on this forum are correct, the fan can run on either 12v DC or 19v AC. Google universal motor to read more -- and close your eyes when you see the maintenance and noise issues.

I didn't trace the wiring for our fan in the '59, but did keep the transformer -- pic attached. The label says:
Grand Transformers, Inc
Benton Harbor, MI

In summary, it sounds like your switch will provide 12 volts DC or 18/19 volts AC to the fan motor -- with either one able to run it. Since AC isn't always on full blast all the time, the two voltages should give you the same power.

If it were mine, I'd hook it up to a 12 v battery. If you need a transformer, you know where to get one.

John
Thanks John! I'm leery about hooking anything up to a battery directly, I wonder if I hook it up to a battery charger whether that will work?

What did you replace your fan with?
Old 09-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Without knowing the current draw on the fan or the size of your charger, it's hard to tell.

I like to have a fast-blow fuse in line when testing something new. Your local auto parts store should have something like this. A small selection of different amperage ratings is pretty common in old drawers and tag sales. If it's an old motor that should draw 5A, you may want to use a 10A fuse to give it a bit of juice to loosen things up. If it doesn't spin by hand, don't waste your time.

The fuse would protect either the battery or the charger. The older and least valuable battery or charger might be the best one to test with.

Ours didn't come with a kitchen exhaust fan. We replaced the overhead fan with a Fantastic Vent. We put one in each of the two 14" openings. I still have the old motor if it is a replacement for your vent.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote