Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1992 36' Land Yacht
Maryville , Tennessee
fuel pump fuse and/or relay location

I am trying to find the fuel pump fuse and\or relay on a 1992 Land Yacht 36'. I do believe it sits on a 1991 Chevy p30 chassis.
uhmazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I don't know for sure where they are located. Perhaps someone else will chime in..

I would check here: GM-Trucks.com - The ultimate General Motors truck, crossover, and sport utility resource
You will find someone there likely has access to a schematic and part location list.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1992 36' Land Yacht
Maryville , Tennessee
I have found some info. What I have found states that it is in the engine compartment below where the gas peddal is. I have not confirmed this yet. It says to remove the doghouse and look in towards the peddal and it should be on a metal bracket. There should also be a red wire present, it is supposed to be a fuel pump test jump wire that bypasses the relay. I am supposed to apply 12 volts to the red wire and if the pump is good, it should come on. I will post my findings.

Thanks
Richard
Old 06-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Richard.. there should be 4 wires.. one is POWER wire... which the relay switches to run the pump through another wire. There are two other wires, one is the 'control' wire which activates the relay.. another wire will be the 'ground' for the relay coil.. a typical relay setup.

If you apply 'power' to the pump, make sure you use a fused wire...

On my 2002, the fuel pump died at 4 years and 70k miles... my bet is on a fried pump...
Old 06-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1992 36' Land Yacht
Maryville , Tennessee
You are correct, sorry I did leave that out, but it does say to use a wire with an inline fuse. Thank you for your help, it is greatly appreciated!

Richard
Old 06-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1992 36' Land Yacht
Maryville , Tennessee
Mine is sitting at 48500 miles, so I was hoping it was as simple as the relay, but finding it has proven to be a little difficult. The last time I replaced a fuel pump, I had to pull the tank and after the new one was installed and didnt work, I found out it was a $12 relay. So I wanted to cover the simple less expensive option first. I have yet to locate the actual pump at this point as well. I have followed the line back to one of the fuel filters but havent gotten to the pump yet. The only places I havent looked for the pump so far is between the rear dual axel and the tag axel. I am guessing it is either there up on the frame, or possibly in tank. My owners manual says the pump is located directly in front of the tank. With a filter before the pump and one mid way up towards the engine followed by a mechanical pump at the engine. But I believe the manual may be incorrect, because there is no pump directly in from of the tank that I saw and the fuel lines come up and go directly to the carburetor. So I dont believe it has a mechanical pump. Although I thought with a carburated engine you would have a mechanical pump at the engine. That may explain the 2 gas lines that go to the carburetor, the smaller line may be a return. I hope that makes since! Where was the pump located on yours?
Old 06-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
It was in tank. If you go to the dealer and ask the parts guy he can show you a part location map!